DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D4)

New engine in D4 warranty question
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Johnny Oxford

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4
New engine in D4 warranty question

Hi all

Am looking at a D4 2014 55000 miles from a main dealer, found out today they have just fitted a new engine due to crankshaft failure.

I have been reading the (scary) threads regarding approved used warranty and warranty wise etc possibly not covering crank failure.

Wonder if anyone has any opinion on what cover I would get on this new engine - as its new. I have asked dealer am waiting for answer from them but I trust you lot on here more than I do them.

Lets say for arguments sake the crank on this failed in 10 months time - where would I stand?

Advice appreciated.

Johnny
 2014 D4 HSE Facelift Corris Grey

Previous :

Discovery Sport SE (awful)
56 plate D3 HSE TDV6 Zermatt Silver
Defender 90 200tdi 

Post #209174412th Oct 2019 1:54 pm
Peakwayfarer

England 

As I understand it with the Land rover extended warranty, they would refer the claim onto Land Rover as they say the crankshaft failure is a know manufacturing fault, for goodwill, that said if all the service history can be shown to be land Rover then hopefully you should be ok, but it's not guaranteed.

Warranty direct appears to be covering it, but may use a recon engine, depending on who is doing the work.

The crankshaft failed on my 2016 Landmark at just over 20k miles and 2.5 years old, LR replaced the engine and turbos under manufacturers warranty , but I could not get any firm commitments from Land Rover after the end of the three year warranty , apart from it would enhanced goodwill under their extended warranty, but service history would be key.

So traded it in and bought another marque

Post #209175312th Oct 2019 2:46 pm
Johnny Oxford

thanks interesting to hear from someone who has been there.

The service history question is a big one for me, according to the Land Rover OSH it last had a service 1t 37000 miles 2.5 years ago, it now has 57000 on the clock.

I quizzed the dealer about this today and he told me they would be doing both of the missing services in order to bring it up to date and into the LR approved scheme. This sounds odd to me that its OK for them to do that.

I am thinking if down the line there was a problem, that could be a major problem.

Its possible an interim service was done by an Indy, but nobody seems to know.

I suppose the engine/crankshaft would fall outside that though is its new as of now.

Previous :

Defender 90 200tdi 

Post #209175812th Oct 2019 3:01 pm
Peakwayfarer

England 

I would be very wary of any missing services especially if you are ever in the unfortunate position to need to rely on a warranty, most warranty companies will use any excuse to wriggle out of coughing up.
As the LR service is both time and mileage dependant, unless the dealer has a time machine, they cannot retrospectively bring the service history up to date.

If they cannot find details of the missing service(s), personally I would walk away, there are plenty of good examples for sale with a full service history.

Post #209176412th Oct 2019 3:49 pm
L319

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I was interested in a Hyundai from a main dealer which was registered and used by them . It was about 14 months old but they had not carried out the first 12 month service. They said it would not be a problem & would service it straight away. I rang Hyundai and was told it could / would impact on future claims , so I walked away . Do not accept the garage stating all will be well if the service record is incomplete.

Post #209179612th Oct 2019 6:43 pm
Johnny Oxford

thanks for feedback all, much appreciated.

Am still undecided, but my current line of thought is this:

If I am going to buy a circa 5 year old D4 any one of them could be prone to crankshaft failure, thats a lottery that it looks like all D4 owners have to face as reality.

On that basis, this one, with a brand new engine fitted by LR main dealer, must be a good one to choose. If it does suffer from a problem, particularly in the first 2 years, then I think they would be hard pressed to deny a claim on the warranty. I have asked the direct question to the dealer and will get the answer in writing and check the small print and Ts and Cs for sure.

The risk / chance of assistance on this one has to be better than on an unknown one, which all of the others on the market are.

Another thing which occurred to me, is that as the engine is new, and the deal I have in principle agreed with them is quite good, I also stand to save further £1000 as the 7 year / 112K cambelt service is now 7 years away instead of 2.

Thoughts?

Previous :

Defender 90 200tdi 

Post #209180212th Oct 2019 7:01 pm
Peakwayfarer

England 

Remember it's not just the engine that can be expensive if it fails, there is a complex 4 wheel drive transmission system, air suspension and lots of electronic systems, again personally I would only want to own one with a comprehensive warranty, and without any potential reasons that the warranty could use to wriggle out of paying up.

Post #209180412th Oct 2019 7:24 pm
Johnny Oxford

yes I agree, I am going to have a very comprehensive discussion with them about this.

Having been in the market for a D4 for about 5 weeks now, and having looked at quite a few, all with main dealers - its surprising how many which are offered as "approved used" have gaps in the online service history, some larger than others.

Every used car will come with a risk, its a question of minimising that risk as far as possible.

This forum was always useful for my D3 and just keeps giving. Thanks guys, and any more opinions very much appreciated.

Anyone looking for a used LR vehicle, ask the seller for the VIN number and you can access the online LR history at https://osh.landrover.com which is also useful.

Previous :

Defender 90 200tdi 

Post #209180712th Oct 2019 7:35 pm
Peakwayfarer

England 

OSH, plus a review of any paper documentation such as receipts, service book and then verification with the garage that carried out the work plus if possible a chat with the previous owner, has always been my preferred method.

As you say buying a car particularly a used one always has an element of risk, but given the high cost of replacing a failed engine on a disco, this can very easily wipe out any residual value you may have in the vehicle assuming you pay cash, but one could end up with negative equity if you borrow to buy.

But as you often hear, you pays your money and you takes your pick, however that risk can be substantially reduced with a decent warranty.

Good luck in your quest to find a good one.

Post #209181812th Oct 2019 8:14 pm
galwaygreen

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

from the dealer you would be getting a LR approved warranty not an extended warranty from car care.
at the 12 month point....if you then took out extended warranty you would be with car care,,,,as I understand LR parts come with 12 month warranty...so new LR engine should surely fall under that...you appear to be in a good position...suggest you let LR dealer do all services etc...how can they refuse you..
there is supposed to be a "letter of understanding" between car care and LR on this subject where LR pick up the bill for "KNOWN FAULTS".

Post #209184412th Oct 2019 10:54 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Washwipe

England 

Can’t see LR standing by it, it’s missed a service, having two oil changes in quick succession won’t change the fact it’s has had an overdue service.

Post #209189313th Oct 2019 9:35 am
Iceman08

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Warranty direct have told me on numerous occasions that my crank is covered with them.

Also does anybody now if it's okay to put the old engine number on a new engine, or is that a big no no?

Post #209190213th Oct 2019 10:00 am
Johnny Oxford

Washwipe wrote:
Can’t see LR standing by it, it’s missed a service, having two oil changes in quick succession won’t change the fact it’s has had an overdue service.

Don't think the oil change is relevant in this case as its literally just been fitted with a brand new engine, from LR and by LR main dealer.

Previous :

Defender 90 200tdi 

Post #209191213th Oct 2019 10:14 am
Johnny Oxford

galwaygreen wrote:
from the dealer you would be getting a LR approved warranty not an extended warranty from car care.
at the 12 month point....if you then took out extended warranty you would be with car care,,,,as I understand LR parts come with 12 month warranty...so new LR engine should surely fall under that...you appear to be in a good position...suggest you let LR dealer do all services etc...how can they refuse you..
there is supposed to be a "letter of understanding" between car care and LR on this subject where LR pick up the bill for "KNOWN FAULTS".

thanks yes I agree with all of this

Previous :

Defender 90 200tdi 

Post #209191313th Oct 2019 10:15 am
Johnny Oxford

Well I have put a deposit down, will be picking it up within the next week.

A few more questions, wonder if anyone could advise me:

1 - Would it be normal for a new engine to have a new oil pump and water pump? Or would the dealer ordinarily take these off of the old failed engine?

2 - Are there any other pertinent questions that I ought to be asking them for clarification on before paying the balance and driving away (albeit with 2 years warranty).

Please let me know, thanks all - looking forward to being back on this forum regularly.

Previous :

Defender 90 200tdi 

Post #209254115th Oct 2019 4:25 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >