DISCO3.CO.UK > Africa

New D3 - 2nd impressions !
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Deondef

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
New D3 - 2nd impressions !

Took D3 for a bit of off-road today.
1) In HDC it makes quite a noise - even if not working very hard - a grrrrrrrrrrrrrr noise - is this normal ?
2) In low range, no specific programme chosen and in "normal transmission" it does not seem to change gears - I eventualy went to "manual" mode to get it to 3rd and 4th gear for some speed.
3) How do I know when diff lock/s engage ?

Some other observations :
4) No lockable fuel cap ? with SA's fuel price will D3 not become NO1 vehicle for siphoning some fuel for extra cash - especialy in ZIM ??
5) No mudflaps ? Did read the posts on off-road trailers, I will have to make a plan

Trip there and back on tar and a bit of dirt road - excellent ride and handling !!

On return family totaly disgusted that I could put some dust on new D3 !!

Baben - sorry, not techno advanced enough to post pics - will get my son to do some over weekend

Post #15881418th May 2007 6:45 pm
heine

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

1) Yes
2) how high where you taking the revs - in low range it seems to rev higher before changing
3) It shows on the 4x4 info screen - as shown on avatar on the left of this message (not sure if you have it on the "S")
4 )Locking fuel flap
5) Optional - but don't make much differance

Post #15885718th May 2007 8:12 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Baben

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I can almost see the grin appearing Very Happy

Like Heine says, the mudflaps won't stop your trailer being destroyed by rocks flung up from the tyres (or Uno's if you have the MTR's or STT's on) They will stop sand from blasting your paint away though, so are a good investment if you are gonna do lots of gravel or sand.

For offroad towing, we gotta get a solution

Post #15902519th May 2007 3:40 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

(4) Fuel filler panel locks with the doors. Check with doors locked. Smile
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #15903119th May 2007 4:59 am
Deondef

Further investigations

Spend most of yesterday underneath, inside and around the vehicle after two nights of studying owners manual!.
Did manage to do the lift and lower of vehicle with remote. Could not get the further lift from off-road mode by applying brake and keeping lift lever engaged for some time as explained in the manual.
Could not set the automatic central locking mechanism to lock when vehicle reaches certain speed - maybe not possible on the S as it does not have the controls on steering wheel other than speed cruise.
One exhaust rubber "bracket" was hanging completely loose.
Tried cd player, but on inserting disc "disc error" is displayed accompanied by grinding noise - tried this with 5 different cd's - 2 being brand new and without lables.
So - guess who is seeing me first thing tomorrow morning Question

Post #15929620th May 2007 7:34 am
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 
Re: Further investigations

Deondef wrote:
Could not get the further lift from off-road mode by applying brake and keeping lift lever engaged for some time as explained in the manual.
Only works if you're in Extended mode, not normal Off-Road height The End  
Post #15931220th May 2007 10:27 am
Baben

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

HI Deon
Not sure if you got what Slimer meant - you have to be "stuck" to get the vehicle into extended mode, you can trick it into thinking it is stuck by jacking it or inserting a piece of sturdy wood under the chassis and trying to lower the height, then it will go into extended mode, and the display in the instrument panel will tell you so. Then you can try get into hyper-extended mode by pressing the brake and pushing the suspension lever up.

Grinding noise from the CD player is very bad. Shame to hear your first experience with a D3 isn't all rosy Big Cry

Post #15934620th May 2007 2:56 pm
Deondef

CD Player

Let my son loose on the CD. Working 100%. Something about "press CD button first -wait for no CD message - then insert - do not force !" Have been listening to Queen all afternoon !
Please remember that I come from Defender/Series clan where everything is done by force !!! Laughing

Post #15936220th May 2007 4:08 pm
jtm

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Vienna GreenDiscovery 3

Deon
I have a Disco S. The auto door locking on the S must be set by your dealer. Mine works well.
jtm

Post #16010321st May 2007 10:24 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
corne

Deon

Re the Autolock function on the S model:-

I had a lengthy discussion with Dewald v Bergen about this. I did extensive research beforehand - needed to dcide if the SE model is the way to go, or if S model is "good enough". I based my final choice on the information on the official LR website, that stated that Autolock is available, as well as all the good info on this forum.
However, after 3 visits to LR Stellenbosch to have the autolock activated (each time unsuccessfully), I was told that it is no longer possible on the S model.

I naturally objected, and was referred to Dewald v Bergen. Dewald responded as follows:
"This feature is not available on S, the web site / specification are subject to change and there are two opportunities for customer to ensure that the vehicle that they wish to purchase does have the functionality that they need. The first is during the demonstration by the sales person of the vehicle features and the test drive thereafter. There is also an opportunity for both the salesperson and the customer at handover to ensure that all feature and functionality is explained.
The feature can not be activated on the vehicle."

I naturally objected, stating that they cannot publish false information in the website, because this is misleading new customers, and it was clear the dealer was not aware of this.

Dewald's response on 17 April as follows:
"Please refer to my previous mail, were you not shown the vehicle? Considering that you did extensive research one would believe that this would include test drives of the model.
The vehicle change started with 7A, this means that the first models of 7A was sold in 2006. The salesperson should have been aware of this and the absence thereof during your test drive would have been very noticeable.
We do apologise for the incident and suggest you discuss this with the Sales Manager.
Land Rover will not accept responsibility for the mistake "

I then took this up with the dealer, giving them exact dates, with proof that I was misled by the sales process and the incorrect information on the LR website. It was also clear that the dealers were not informed of the change - their 3 fruitless attempts to rectify the situation proved this.

Today, I had "good" news. The dealer phoned me, telling me that because of my complaint, LR now "feels bad" about this, and agreed to activate the feature on my S model.

I am not sure if this means that it will be activated on all 7A S models - I suggest you give it a try!

Good luck with your S model - ever since they added leather seatch and automatic a/c, I reckon it is the best buy model. The 17" wheels are also a better choice for off-road use in my opinion.

BTW - I added the radio remote buttons to mine - the part costs about R1100 in SA.

Post #16046722nd May 2007 9:27 pm
corne

I got the D3 back from the dealer, and can confirm that the Autolock feature now works on my S model.

According to the dealer, the option is now available for activation on all 7A S models.

Post #16149925th May 2007 1:08 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >