DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 3

My new to me D3
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
itguy

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
My new to me D3

Hi Everyone

Well thanks to nigethecat I now am the proud owner of my first ever D3.

Never had a Discovery before, but did have a FFRR in 2010 (a 2005 TD6 Vogue) for 3 months until I just couldn’t stand any more faults and sold it on...!

This is a great car, very pleased with it and will no doubt give me a lockdown hobby for a while too.

The car is in fine fettle anyway, so only minor things to tinker with on it so far.

I’ve installed a Pure Highway 400 DAB unit and it works perfectly. Antenna is installed in the rear near side window, powered from a USB powered from a piggyback from the live feed for the tow bar. Audio routed with aux cable (and extension) down through the boot trim, under the rear door trim and in to the central rear console aux in. Can’t believe how good the reception is. Had to go to Boston yesterday from Melton Mowbray and ZERO drops. V V impressed.

JLR genuine rubber floor mats in, boot load liner in (for the dog). Bought a replacement plastic handle for releasing the nearside 3rd row seat and fitted it.

Have given the leather a bit of a clean. Probably a bit more to go but didn’t want to over do it in haste.

New Bosch rear wiper to save a bit of juddering from the old one.

Also replaced the bulb in the ignition barrel too!

One of the drl/fog lights is very misted with dripping condensation so need to get it out / dry it / replace them. Ditto the side repeaters. They are they dynamic flash LED type which I’m not a great fan of, so I have ordered some PowerfulUK normal clear/sliver ones to replace.

Could do with some silicone bags for the headlights. I took both out and dried them completely indoors, went out for a 1hr drive yesterday in the rain and the condensation is back. Also feels like a new set of xenon bulbs would brighten things up a bit too.

I need to finish off wiring up the door mirrors. They are early D4 ones and just need the usual blue wire splice trick, but need the weather to warm up a bit first !

Have ordered a genuine (used) twin 12v panel for under the climate panel as the ashtray keeps popping out Laughing

Apart from that, I have ordered the FBH diagnostic cable as I’m curious to see if it works ok and if there are any faults. I should get to test normal operation of it today before the cable arrives as it is only 1c outside now.

Finally, I could do with checking the tyre pressures today because the Grabber AT3 tyres yesterday were really quite scary in the large puddles of water across the road at anything above about 35-40mph. I’m not talking massive flood type puddles, but maybe 1” deep ones. It’s first time I have felt actual aquaplaning in a car for a very long time, so just need to check pressures are ok.

V V Pleased with it. I think it was a car owned by someone on the forum before nigethecat too, so it should look familiar !

Post #22085327th Feb 2021 6:39 am
nigethecat

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Excellent that you’re enjoying the car and I wish I’d thought of the DAB upgrade as that sounds like something I would really have used.

Hope she gives you lots of enjoyment and not so many hours working on her Laughing

Keep sending photos in as I never had chance to drive her in the snow!
 I want to see the sweets before I get into your windowless van... I'm not stupid!

Corris Grey D4 Commercial SE 2016
Zermatt Sliver 2007 D3 SE manual (gone)
Indus Silver D4 HSE 2015 (gone)
Bonatti Grey D3 HSE 2006 (gone)
White D3 S (LHD) 2007 (gone)
Firenze Red D4 HSE 2014 (gone)
Black RRS 3.6TDV8 2008 (gone)
Rusty Green Defender 110 1997 (gone)
Black FL2 HSE 2013 (gone) 

Post #22085397th Feb 2021 7:56 am
aja4x4

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I would check the seal around the head light glass, as the lights have been apart before its possible they are not fully sealed you may need to run some more sillicone around to seal them up.
 Andrew

D3 2.7tdv6 2005
D4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial died and gone to LR heaven
D5 3.0 SDV6 HSE 

Post #22085457th Feb 2021 8:42 am
itguy

Yes good idea, when it is a bit warmer outside I’ll give that a go.

FBH didn’t seem to fire up this morning so having the cable on order should help me understand what is going on there. Did the usual fuse out for over 1 min but no joy.

Also not 100% sure the heated windscreen is working, but I have checked all the fuses and the relay, but haven’t tested for 12v at the A pillars yet. It may well just be the ribbon cables need a bit of movement/cleaning up on the contacts. It still has a JLR stamped windscreen so it might even be original.

It’s just too cold outside today to really get in to it. Inc windchill it’s about -6c I think.

Post #22085537th Feb 2021 9:30 am
nigethecat

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

How much fuel is in it ? Needs at least 1/4 tank before it fires up (and it was working last week!), could probably do with a strip down and clean (see Robbies excellent guide) but I would leave that until summer unless you have a large workshop..
 I want to see the sweets before I get into your windowless van... I'm not stupid!

Corris Grey D4 Commercial SE 2016
Zermatt Sliver 2007 D3 SE manual (gone)
Indus Silver D4 HSE 2015 (gone)
Bonatti Grey D3 HSE 2006 (gone)
White D3 S (LHD) 2007 (gone)
Firenze Red D4 HSE 2014 (gone)
Black RRS 3.6TDV8 2008 (gone)
Rusty Green Defender 110 1997 (gone)
Black FL2 HSE 2013 (gone) 

Post #22085647th Feb 2021 10:14 am
itguy

Ok, that might be it. Fuel light isn’t on but it’s probably around the 1/4 tank mark. I’ll put a load in later and see what happens.

Post #22085777th Feb 2021 10:44 am
itguy

Right - been a bit of a busy week on the D3 although working on it after work in the dark and sub-zero temps has been a pain!

Both mirrors now sorted (D4 mirrors), folding, memory, heating, adjustment etc all as it should be.

Heated windscreen tested right up to the ribbon cable plugs (12v on both sides showing), so suspect faulty screen

Removed ashtray that kept popping out and replaced with twin 12v socket trim instead

Floor mat clips installed

Sorted a holder for the Pure Highway DAB 400 controller (a CD slot phone mount with holder)

Started testing the Webasto heater with the club shop loom/WTT. Got it to fire up, never seen smoke like it!! It did throw an 02h fault, but need to keep starting it, maybe a bit of carb cleaner, etc etc. Don’t really fancy removing it until spring if I can help it. But at least it lives in one form or another.

It’s in to our village garage today for a 4 wheel alignment on their hunter machine (steering wheel not quite straight)

And finally, got a few more bits on order; new osram night breaker xenon d2s bulbs (existing ones are a bit dim due to age), new clear side repeaters to go on. I also bid for and got a iCarsoft LR v1.0 diag tool on eBay cheap, so that will at least allow me to clear the faults from the wing mirror wiring etc. Couldn’t stretch to IID yet!!

Might even give it a wash at the weekend if I get time Smile

Post #220959911th Feb 2021 6:45 am
itguy

A few more bits done, a few more to go...

New side repeaters now fitted so no condensation in them any more.

New xenon bulbs fitted (osram nightbreaker) and much much better.

4 wheel alignment done and car drives a lot more positively now. They said one of the rear wheels was quite a bit out so that explains the wandering feeling I was getting.

Jobs for this weekend include;
Getting number plates made up for my personalised reg so I can get it assigned

Removing, cleaning and refitting the FBH using the guide on the site - I am collecting the gasket kit from LR this morning.

Fix ‘speaker 4’ error code - I think it is the drivers door card tweeter that I forgot to plug in when I did the mirrors Laughing

I have also got some clear sealant that I am going to try to re-seal the headlights and the dynamic side repeaters with, to see if I can stop the moisture gathering a little better. Can’t do any harm.

I really want to get the bumper off so I can tackle the misted up DRL/Fog lights (LED ones) but it’s just too cold for that at the moment. Maybe next weekend if we get temps above zero!

Post #221026413th Feb 2021 7:39 am
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

No need to remove bumper for front fogs, pop off bezel, then three? screws and out they come.
Screws are torx Iirc, there was a thread on here about restoring the fogs with chrome aerosol paint.

Post #221028413th Feb 2021 10:10 am
itguy

Thanks, but already tried that and these ones have been fitted with adaptor rings that are bolted in from the back, so bumper needs to come off. No biggie, just needs to be warmer !!

Post #221033113th Feb 2021 12:58 pm
itguy

Another productive weekend pottering about on the car.

Properly sorted out the boot liner and installed all the Velcro now the weather has warmed up a bit.

EGR valves now blanked off and butterfly flap removed.

FBH serviced last weekend, all sorted now.

Rattle in roof liner turned out to be roof rail plastic nut covers, so that’s that sorted.

Touched up a couple of stone chips.

Only really a few bits left to sort. Need a spare wheel lock/disc and also the fog lights when I get round to it.

Looking to get the cambelts/oil pump/water pump all done fairly soon for peace of mind.

Post #221266321st Feb 2021 7:04 pm
itguy

Another week, another few bits and bobs done on ‘Pete’.

I don’t think I have explained our naming of our Disco before, it’s a bit silly.

Original registration number = RA55 KLP - or as my wife said instantaneously ‘it’s rascal p’ - and I said ‘eh? Like Pete the rapper....’ and it has just stuck.

So even though now it’s got one of our personalised reg plates on, it is still known as Pete to us, and always will be.

Anyways, reg plate made up and put on, car not really gone anywhere this week.

I installed a FBH controller with remote. Two separate electronic parts - a W-Bus controller from a guy off eBay who makes them (£48), then a 433mhz remote control key fob and receiver (eBay) for £7. Got the W-Bus cable for the FBH plug from the club shop here £4 delivered, then used a IP65 black electrical box from Toolstation to put it all in, housed next to the ABS pump with cables routed round to the fuse box, earth terminal and FBH. Works like a charm!

In doing this I noticed my battery voltage was down at 11.4v resting. Not good. I must admit I’d also noticed a few starts with the ‘special programmes disabled’ message flash up then go off on the dash.

I don’t know yet if it is knackered or not, but I’ve put it on my ctek for 24hrs and will continue to charge it until it says it is full. I’ll then see how it holds up after.

I can see me taking a trip to Halfords to get one of the Yuasa 019 ones soonish...

Finally - car is booked in a Famous Four in Louth next week from Tues to Fri.

Lovely people, very helpful, and will be reliving me of quite a bit of cash. Having service in fuel filter, cambelts, aux belt, oil pump and a strip/check/lube of brakes all round - as occasionally i get a slight squeak from the brakes when pulling off after letting the handbrake off. Don’t want to start getting EBP issues so let’s nip it in the bud. They are going to test my battery for me too on their special machine.

Is it weird to kind of look forward to loan-car-lottery too.... not been to famous four before, I hope it isn’t a Vauxhall Adam !!!

Post #221399527th Feb 2021 6:31 am
aja4x4

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Have you got links to the parts you used for the fbh controller please
 Andrew

D3 2.7tdv6 2005
D4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial died and gone to LR heaven
D5 3.0 SDV6 HSE 

Post #221400627th Feb 2021 8:06 am
itguy

FBH remote parts - sure

W-Bus controller - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Webasto-W-Bus-F...890.l49292

Remote Control - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-12V-Relay-1C...890.l49292

W-Bus cable - https://fnltd.co.uk/shop/fbh-connector-pin...o-p41.html

Then bought some tubing for the cables - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Convoluted-Spli...890.l49292

This IP65 Box - https://www.toolstation.com/moulded-pvc-box-ip65/p91800

I bought that box as it has rubber grommets to put the wires/tubing through and also the nice screw mounts that make it easy to fit into the compartment where the ABS pump is.

Post #221402227th Feb 2021 10:01 am
dandam

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Vienna GreenDiscovery 3

What a great solution, thanks
 2007 D3 2.7TD SE - Vienna Green  
Post #221416727th Feb 2021 10:56 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >