Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

New boilers, saving da planet or economic madness?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 
New boilers, saving da planet or economic madness?

£400m of grants for the new fangled air sourced heat pumps, at £7,000 a time. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9...cheme.html Sounds good but that’s only 57,143 out of 27,800,000 households. Ignoring the additional £5,000 that the household would have to pay if the £12k figure is correct.

If all households got a grant it would cost the poor taxpayer this:

Click image to enlarge

Or put another way, this.

Click image to enlarge

As SWMBO frequently says, seriously?

And as above, that’s ignoring the additional costs above the grant. And the question, saving the planet or pure economic madness?

Discuss. Whistle Whistle

Post #224657314th Aug 2021 6:05 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

yeah ...but not a sniff at £37bn on an excel spreadsheet mind Whistle
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #224657414th Aug 2021 6:22 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Your calculation is irrelevant. An amount has been proposed, so there's a cap.

Few older houses will benefit from an air source heat pump without extensive additional work, and if previous schemes are anything to go by, the amount eventually claimed will be..... somewhat less than set aside.

Putting more money aside to extend the scheme is unlikely to see any increase in uptake; the incentive remains the same and the limitations on installation also remain the same.

Boris flapping around for a "green" headline that will cost naff all in the grand scheme of things, because it's being pointed out that his government are to green policies what 1940s Germany were to diversity and inclusion.
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #224657514th Aug 2021 6:27 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

DG wrote:
yeah ...but not a sniff at £37bn on an excel spreadsheet mind Whistle

Not really into sniffing spreadsheets. Whistle Whistle

Post #224657614th Aug 2021 6:47 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

NoDo$h wrote:
Your calculation is irrelevant.

Story of my man maths life, but if ban on gas or oil boilers goes ahead as planned by King Boris and Queen Nicola then maybe not so irrelevant when said boiler pops it’s clogs. Whistle

Post #224657714th Aug 2021 6:49 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

They'll have to change the laws that demand the countryside remains Disneyfied for the benefit of folks coming to ooh and aah and peer through your (very draughty) windows then.

Can't think of a single property in our village that would be sufficiently well insulated to work with heat pump - and that's mainly due to "advice" like this from Historic England, that idealistic young local conservation officers take as an absolute, where "unacceptable" = anything that isn't hand whittled by a wizened artisan:

Quote:
New windows need to comply with minimum energy efficiency requirements as part of the Building Regulations (Part L). This can be achieved either with double glazing or secondary glazing. For listed buildings and buildings in conservation areas a case can be made for exemption where complying with required standards would unacceptably alter the character and appearance of the window.
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #224659514th Aug 2021 9:12 pm
Scott #55

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

And guaranteed that , whilst the Historic England/Scotland bods can tell you what is and isn't acceptable to them, they aren't the ones putting their hands in their pockets when you need to effect 'sympathetic' (i.e. a bloody sight more expensive) repairs.
 2014 - D4 2010 HSE Nara Bronze
2012 - FL2 2009 GS Stornoway Grey
2001 - VW Passat Estate Inky Blue
1999 - Ford Mondeo Light Blue
1998 - Rover 25 Red 

Post #224663515th Aug 2021 9:07 am
sasdiscos

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Bali BlueDiscovery 4

Whole house heat pumps are very efficient to a point. But are only able to get water up to about 50oc. They use emmersion heaters to get it up to 80oc.

New rads, pipe work etc is all required. The only plus side I see is I can fit and fix it myself. Where as now I can’t fix my own boiler. However, I won’t be rushing out to change just yet.

I’ll keep my combi thanks. Ripped out my storage tanks only a few years back and upgraded to a top of the range gas boiler. Don’t want to re install tanks again. EVery service the plumber always says he can’t get a reading off the emissions caus it’s so low.
 You remind me of a younger me, not much younger mind...perhaps even a little older!  
Post #224677816th Aug 2021 8:18 am
blue meanie
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Put an air source in ourselves a couple of years ago when our ancient LPG Baxi gave up, mono blocks are dead easy to install and you can leave all of your existing rads etc in but as it’s a lower heat for a longer time then you are better off with large modern rads Thumbs Up As with most of the official ‘schemes’ you pay at least 2 to 3 times the cost if you want a compliant installation by an accredited installer so we did everything bar the electrical certified connection ourselves including sourcing the unit - not cheap by any measure but we had no sensible alternative option.
 and theeeeennn......???  
Post #224687116th Aug 2021 6:40 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >