Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Need help with rotor change...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Spirex

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Manual Bonatti GreyLR3
Need help with rotor change...

I purchase a set of front and rear replacement rotors. They are the same size as the originals. I got the caliper piston off easily, but am having difficulty getting the carrier off. I noticed the bolt looks to be a 20mm 12pt star shape for the fronts and similar but smaller in the back. Does anyone know what kind of socket I need to get these bolts off? I tried using a 20mm 12pt socket for spark plugs but am scared to strip them since the bolt is very hard to loosen. And if anyone has any better suggests for loosening the bolt than WD40, that would be great!

Thanks.

Post #28630814th Apr 2008 12:10 am
mobyone

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

You will need a good quality TORX set of drivers to get just about all bolts off the LR3..
 What's the point.... it all comes out in the wash anyway!

85 Range Rover
01 Disco Series II
05 D3 V6SE, Bonatti Grey, 19"alloys 

Post #28632114th Apr 2008 5:33 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Its a 21mm 12point socket you need. Get a good quality one and a decent breaker bar, because those bolts will be very tight to come out

Post #28633214th Apr 2008 7:15 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jzk

United States 

I just changed my front Rotors. You need a #50 Torx bit for that star shaped set screw. For the bolts on the remainder of the caliper carrier, I just used a socket that has the star shape inside of it. It was an english socket, and the rest of the bolts were metric.
 LR3 HSE
http://www.pbase.com/jzk/lr3 

Post #32749731st Jul 2008 7:03 pm
CG

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

When you put your new rotors on,the caliper carrier bolts should have some form of locking fluid applied.

The factory fit have a microencapsulated locking patch, some for of loctite should do.

They can come undone, the L322 carrier is more known for it as it is fitted with BMW spec M12 thread rather than the M14 on larger centers on the T5 platform.

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant" 

Post #32754931st Jul 2008 10:38 pm
fakesnake

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Can anyone confirm whether I need Torx bits, star shaped sockets or both to do the disc rotors please. I want to be sure I've got all the kit I need before starting the job. Thanks
 Richard  
Post #3402905th Sep 2008 9:52 am
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

To do the job you need:

13mm spanner/socket and ratchet
17mm open ended spanner (front) or 15mm (rear)
21mm double hex socket
Breaker bar or ratchet with something to give extra leverage
Torx 50 bit
Caliper piston wind back tool, or big water pump pliers

And obviously either a toolkit or 22mm socket to get the wheels off

Thumbs Up

Post #3404885th Sep 2008 5:45 pm
ronald.soak

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Fakesnake, Disco_Mikey and shiny moose have provided good advice.

The 12 point socket is a type known as bihexagonal. This used to be pretty standard and still is for better quality sockets. It is not a Torx or star type, although I also found it difficult to identify before reading advice on the forum and doing it myself.

As Disco-Mikey advised, the bolts are difficult to shift and I needed an extension bar and a wobble joint for one of the 2 bolts.

I clean the remains of the thread locking material off the bolts with a wire brush as otherwise they are just as difficult to put back.
If you do this and use thread locking fluid the bolts go in easily and will be safe. They should be torqued up but I do not have the figure to hand.

3 other points, if you will allow;

It is essential that you do not inadvertantly seperate the two halves of each caliper, by undoing the wrong (smaller bolts)

I believe that the parking brake operates on drums which are integral with the rear discs (rotors). This means that the discs will be difficult / impossible to remove without releasing the parking brake.
10forcash posted a procedure under the topic EPB, 25 Jun 2007, http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic11971.h...p;start=15 should get you close.

A brake wear sensor is fitted to 1 rear pad and will need either replacement, if worn down to the point of indicating, or transfer to the new pad. Details available on this forum

I have to come clean and have to admit that although I have removed calipers and pads I have not yet had to change discs. Nevertheless I hope that you find the above helpful.

Good luck

John

Post #3405065th Sep 2008 6:31 pm
mobyone

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I stand corrected.... Embarassed
12 point = Double hex and
6 point = TORX

Question is how do you not confuse Double Hex with Spline drive or Triple Square Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torx
 What's the point.... it all comes out in the wash anyway!

85 Range Rover
01 Disco Series II
05 D3 V6SE, Bonatti Grey, 19"alloys 

Post #3412688th Sep 2008 9:45 am
ronald.soak

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Mobyone,
Practically, it is difficult, particularly in the dark under a vehicle.

The Wiki reference you provided was very interesting. My understanding is that Torx bolts have circular heads with a 6 (or5) pointed star shaped recess. The bolts shown all seem to be examples of types with internal recesses.
The difference between the 12 pointed recesses shown is down to the sharpness of the points: Bihex are at the same angle as a hexagon, ie. 120 degrees, triple square as for a square, 90 degrees and Splines (quadra triangle), 60 degrees.
Torx are not simple double triangle but a more complex concave outline.

The bolts involved on the disco brakes have external points, rather than internal recesses, and are either simple hex, on which you could fit an open ended spanner, or the 12 point double hex which needs a 12 point ring or socket.

Regards

Post #3413228th Sep 2008 12:40 pm
fakesnake

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Ok, so that's cleared that up thanks very much. Just need a sunny weekend with nothing to do now!
 Richard  
Post #34228410th Sep 2008 5:05 pm
azeg

Germany 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Something in addition, has not been mentioned yet, but is IMO one of the absolutely necessary informations:
the torque tune.
You need a torque -wrench that is capable of handling 270 Nm, this is what the front bolts have to be tightended with.
And it is NO Torx Bit, but a bihexagonal Bit, Size 21 mm.
And you need a manual wrench to losen the screws, an impact-wrench won´t do. (Tried mine with 330 Nm, did not manage to turn the srews).

Regards
André

Post #34306412th Sep 2008 11:49 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >