Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Nearly made a huge mistake
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
gasdoc

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
Nearly made a huge mistake

You know how it is, sometimes your mind wanders when there are thoughts of potentially getting a new motor and then reality fails you for a few days.

I do a lot of agility training with 4 border collies and many of our club members have had a van kitted out with pet transport crates, which double up as kennels during the shows. Some of the vans a really quite comfortable and well kitted out. So the idea came to me that I should get myself a VW transporter to replace the old 90 that we use for dog transport, but whilst I went to the showroom for a test drive aTouareg caught my eye. So I thought, why not trade in the disco too and get a tranporter and a Touareg.

I took the Touareg for a test drive and was really impressed with the 3.0 diesel engine. It was smoother and nicer sounding than the TDV6 and revved freely to 4000 rpm plus. Performance was good too and the interior was really nicely finnished. I was told that ther was a wait of about 3 months for a new car but their demo car could be mine for £1500 off list.

There followed intense examination of brochures and option lists and price lists. Gradually it started to dawn on me that even at £44 k (with a fair smattering of extras) there was no bluetooth option for a phone. The sat nav for the transporter was different from that in the touareg and CD based, not heated front windscreen, not sound source selection and headphone jacks in the rear, no dog guard for the back , then the 170bhp 4 wheel drive for the transporter was withdrawn..... in fact so many things about my D3 that I had taken for granted because they were designed right from the outset, were not available from the competition.

After a few days cooling off I came to realise that I would have been mad to change, and in order to make things up to the D3 I treated her to a nice chrome surround for the gearshift and cupholders. A little bright perhaps but it brings some relief to the utilitarian interior.

Has anyone else been tempted to change - perhaps after engine failure or suspension mis-demeanors and then found that there is nothing else worth swapping to?

Post #561062nd May 2006 9:38 pm
angrd020

United States 2005 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Tonga GreenLR3

There were times when I was tempted by Executive Type Sedans, due to their speed and passenger comfort. What really sets the D3(LR3) apart from all of the vehicles I have compared it to so far, is it's true ability to please many audiences. My Wife loves that the D3 is easy to drive in horrible weather and that it is extremely safe for our little one. I love it, because I can go wheeling with it and take it right to a farmal event within the same hour and look good doing it. It does help that it has been extremely reliable. I also like the peace of mind that comes with having such a capable and distinctive vehicle.

Land Rover D3(LR3) = The Biggest and Best D so far! Very Happy

ALR
 2005 Tonga Green Land Rover LR3(Yes I wheel it!!!)
2002 Shale Green Jeep WranglerX(Yes I wheel it!!!)
1994 Red Jeep Cherokee (Use it as a spare vehicle)

DO IT! DO IT NOW!!! 

Post #561463rd May 2006 3:47 am
Rodg75

United Kingdom 

The feeling I get when driving my D3 is that money was no object when specifying parts and components (I'm a design engineer BTW), as long as it was the best component/system for the job. Even if there are build quality niggles here and there the basic parts and design are spot on (some things such as wires not shrouded properly are annoying tho). Doesn't look like theres cost cutting anywhere.

And it has character! thats why we all love them.
Cayennes and touregs look the same to me, X5's are like stormtroopers from star wars (J. Clarkson), but the D3 is a 4X4 from the ground up, its in its blood so to speak.

Where did you get the chrome surrounds from BTW? sound nice and blingy!

Post #561593rd May 2006 7:52 am
grommet

United States 

The shifter and cup holder surround "bling" is a normal kit accessory, available from your parts department.

Post #561623rd May 2006 8:10 am
Pelyma

England 

Yup been there, when the diff went on mine it was the last straw. Spent a week looking at the competition (didn't look at a new ML though) and found serious problems with them all and not one is the all round package of the D3, so I bought another!
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #561943rd May 2006 10:52 am
croyde

Getting ready to duck Very Happy

Saw a couple of Nissan Pathfinders over the weekend, quite liked the look of them. Chunky like the D3 but top model costs about £30K.

Running for cover now!

Post #562233rd May 2006 2:36 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I also like the look of the Pathfinder, well specced too. Drive one though & you'll see why it's cheaper than the D3, still has old tec. underpinnings. The new Navara is even better value, if you can live with the flatbed.

Post #562323rd May 2006 3:34 pm
SN

I think BN has posted some thoughts about various 4x4's vs the D3 in the recent past....
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #562363rd May 2006 4:03 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Nickhearne

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Looked at the Nisan Pathfinder too, but in the end I thought if I got one I would always be thinking I got second best!
 Range Rover Sport Estate 2.0 P400e Hse Dynamic Black
D4 HSE Santorini Black
Almond Arabica hide & Walnut trim Now sold
Discovery 3 TDV6 SE
Zambezi Silver Ebony leather Now sold 

Post #562403rd May 2006 4:16 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Very true.

Post #562473rd May 2006 4:33 pm
d3matt

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Rodg75 wrote:
Where did you get the chrome surrounds from BTW? sound nice and blingy!

It's a Land Rover accessory. See my gallery for pics http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=435
 Matt  
Post #562593rd May 2006 4:59 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MX

United Kingdom 

All

I have spent a lot of time without my D3 recently and whilst in Germany last month I took the new ML for a drive.

WOW!

I will be the first to admit that the ML will never be able to challenge the D3 offroad but the level of driver comfort is comparible, the ride is better and the performance is blistering!

I take on board what has been said by others, and whilst the ML is the best of the competition at the price level, I still wouldnt have one for much the same reasons as mentioned above.

I love my D3 despite the issues ........ is that mad or what?
 D3 05 SE (old one)

RRS 08 SE (new one)

formerly mxgeldar7 

Post #563844th May 2006 1:03 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >