DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 3

Nearly lost it !
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
DN
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Nearly lost it !

Phew! What a day I've had. SWMBO went downstairs this morning, to find our front door wide open Shocked closely followed by me phoning the police. It appears that some 'rat person' had forced the door and ventured into the hall (seem to have not been anywhere else, thank goodness), and taken my wifes handbag and briefcase containing her purse/ credit cards and a few other valuables and work stuff, along with the keys to my 20 yr old banger of a Merc :?These though, were callously discarded next to it when I went out to look Laughing OK, so this type of thing happens a lot I guess, but I can't help thinking that it was the D3 keys they were after. These were not readily to hand, but we didn't hear a thing, the scum could have easily come back in and had a bit more of a look and probably found them Shocked Later on this morning, when the crime scene officer arrived , she told me that she had just been to a similar job, in which a new Land Rover had been taken, but luckily for them it was a loan car that had been nicked whilst theirs was in for repair Whistle I'm worried sick about this now, and will definately be double locking the doors, and putting the zonal alarm on from now on.

Post #5457774th Nov 2009 6:05 pm
SJR

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

Maybe worth putting something like this in incase they do come back, be nice to have some evidence Wink Thumbs Up

http://www.cctv-centre.co.uk/cctv/doorviewcctvcamera.htm
 I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 - 

Post #5457794th Nov 2009 6:08 pm
CFB

United Kingdom 

Where are you based? There seems to be an increase in LR thefts around Yorkshire just now Sad
 2020 BMW X1 18d XDrive X-Line Auto  
Post #5457834th Nov 2009 6:18 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MacLeod 313

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

And in East Sussex

Post #5457844th Nov 2009 6:20 pm
ad15

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

CFB wrote:
Where are you based? There seems to be an increase in LR thefts around Yorkshire just now Sad

my big brother is on a team investigating them at present, been going on for some time.
 one wife.......livid  
Post #5457964th Nov 2009 6:44 pm
speedymarktd6

United Kingdom 

the best thing to do is think if it was you who wanted to break in to your own house how would you do it and then put in a counter measure to deter such as better lighting , better front door / lock , security post , keep gates locked maybe that spiky stuff on top of fences , cctv on show you probly cant stop the enevitable but you could slow them down enough to deter them Thumbs Up

Post #5458164th Nov 2009 7:14 pm
Stu

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I think it's all about making your house less of a target so that someone else who is an easy target get's hit. Not nice, but I think it's reality
 D3 HSE MY05 Auto

Expo Rack, Club MTR, LR Spots, A Bar, Light Guards, GNVP Sump Guard, GNVP Ladder, Cup Holders, RLD A Bar brackets. Disco3Club stickers, Aux power on Mod 

Post #5458184th Nov 2009 7:18 pm
DN
D3 Decade 

CFB wrote:
.........Western periphery of Gtr London CFB, police tell me burglary and car theft in this manner are rapidly climbing at the mo. Big Cry Thanks all, yes I do need to invest in better security measures, or the D3 will 'walk' I reckon. Update is wifes bags found dumped in garden round the corner devoid of purse and valuables, but still had house keys and alarm remote in remarkably, just hope they haven't taken some kind of imprint of the keys Shocked ....Is this likely? anyone in the know? old banger not taken, keys discarded Laughing In all, I guess we got off lightly on this (our first) occasion, could have been so much worse, if 'rat boy/girl' had ventured further into our house. Shocked 

Last edited by DN on 8th Nov 2009 12:54 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #5458474th Nov 2009 7:58 pm
highbayrack

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto LuxorDiscovery 4

On Police advice, we were told to leave the keys to both LR'S in the hall, on the basis that if they are after the cars they would spot the keys and not decide to come upstairs where the kids and us sleep and hopefully if they can find what there looking for they are less likely to venture any further. We now always do this, but alarm downstairs as well.

Post #5458824th Nov 2009 8:57 pm
blue_manc

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Could not agree more - not on display to entice any opportunist in - but obvious to find once you are in the house.

Much rather they took that than venture upstairs to find them.

Mate had his house broken into by 3 lads in ski mask - they wanted his 4 door golf GTI a few years back. Keys not in hall - the basically went half way up the stairs and shouted that id he did not produce the keys in 10 seconds they would come up and find them - they claimed to have knives. He opened the door to the bedroom and tossed them the keys. They walked straight out and drove off. Car used the following morning in post office robbery. I just refuse to take that risk to the wife and kid.

Post #5458904th Nov 2009 9:11 pm
DN
D3 Decade 

The keys for the D3 were not easily to hand, but could have been found, but what I can't understand is why they would take the keys for my old Merc, when the Mrs' newish Honda Embarassed keys were right next to them, I'm thankful for that, but extremely puzzled. Agree with the above points BTW, would not want to risk harm to my family over the D3. Thumbs Up

Post #5459974th Nov 2009 11:00 pm
bigcarpchaser

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

I should imagine that's it's because most burglars are plain thick or out of thier boxes on am illegal substance.
If they were clever, chances are they'd have a proper job and wouldn't have to resort to robbing people.
Get yourself a dog and don't live in fear. They have probably moved on to some other poor innocent by now.
 Welcome "Lola" Smile  
Post #5460044th Nov 2009 11:07 pm
DN
D3 Decade 

Ah a dog, I'd love a dog bcc, but the Mrs is allergic to well......anything with fur basically, so I'll just have to hope the scum doesn't come back better prepared. Thumbs Up

Post #5460194th Nov 2009 11:29 pm
Popelka

Czech Republic 

highbayrack wrote:
On Police advice, we were told to leave the keys to both LR'S in the hall, on the basis that if they are after the cars they would spot the keys

I understand the family safety aspect of this, however if these scum know this is the advise the police give out then maybe they are just attempting houses feeling an easy job (in/out quick). I'm sure with enough protection of alarms/ dogs / lights / camera's etc they will be deterred from such activities.
 Experience is a difficult teacher, because she gives the test first and then the lesson afterwards!!!!  
Post #5460885th Nov 2009 7:11 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mrandmrsselby

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

This happened to me, I am in drighlington, my wife heard them i ran downstairs but didn't catch them but they made away with my Golf barstools!!

Police said several Disco's had gone over the past few weeks.

Again we have young children and my wife was very upset.

Shame my shotgun was locked away in its cabinet Very Happy

Post #5461595th Nov 2009 11:31 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >