Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Faults & Fixes (D4)

Multiple issues, thought i'd get all out of the way! :-)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Lexx

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Mariana BlackDiscovery 4
Multiple issues, thought i'd get all out of the way! :-)

Morning all,
A number of issues been niggling at me for a while now, been meaning to post but never got round to it. I'm sure many of the vets will have seen it all before, so if you only want to give a brief answer and point me in the right direction, please feel free. Wanting to get the old girl back in tip top shape as with doing up my house recently she has taken a little neglect.

1) Reduced Performance - Turn car on, set off, there is a bit of a 'whoosh' noise when you put your foot down, and some black smoke out the back. Anywhere between 2 mins and 15 mins into the journey, 'reduced performance'. I have noticed that this happens quicker when its really cold (could be my imagination tho). Once this happens, no more black smoke. Have tried two bottles of 'Forte Diesel Turbo Cleaner' (strong mix) with some but little difference. Have been doing some reading and wondering if it could be 1) Damaged or fallen off pipe (some people have written this happened and was a quick fix) 2) variable veins becoming stuck, if this is the case ive also herd you can do something to free them up? Saw this video for a Disco 3, any thoughts? 3) Knackered turbo, as this is a body off job, and also as turbo's aren't cheap, i'm PRAYING this isn't it. If anyone can give me any insight, it would be really appreciated, i've held off taking it to a garage as i couldn't trust that they wouldn't just want to replace one or both turbo's anyway. Car has done 140k miles and has been v.well serviced and taken care of and apart from this runs like a dream, so hoping its 1 or 2 or something else, as when its not on reduced performance it pulls like hell. p.s. even when reduced performance comes on the whoosh noise (kind of a high pitch but also kind of a pressure air noise) is still there.

2) Head Unit Doesn't work for a few days after being stood - Went on holiday for two weeks, came back, car started immediately, head unit (nav etc.) was dead for a few days, buttons e.g. Home, track forward etc. also dead as a dodo. After a few days it then started to work on some journeys and not on others, then after a few more days (a week now) it works full time and is bomb proof going forward. Happened on two holidays now. Wondering if there is something like a watch battery somewhere or something independent that is going flat. Any thoughts?

3) Faulty Ipod Connection - Left speakers work intermittently when using ipod connection. If you 'nudge' the centre console lid, it start to work properly. Assume broken wire somewhere, know which one it is i need to change and how easy?

4) Ipod Bluetooth? - Got a 30pin to lightening adapter (a proper apple one) which works great and controls system properly, tried a cheap 30pin bluetooth adapter with no luck, is there a more 'proper' one you have to get to do this with?

5) Rear (not rear rear) Centre Seat Back come undone - as it says, the carpet covering that covers the back of the centre fold down seat has almost completely come off, it looks like some sort of 'compression friction' fitting, do you just have to ram it back in or do you disassemble in some way?

6) Top Section of Boot Sticking - when you push the button by the license plate to open the top 'glass' portion of the boot, you can hear the mechanism working and it opens, but sometimes gets stuck, as if its not completely unlocked, when this happens you can rattle it backwards and forwards as if its partially unlocked, but it wont open, you need to press the button again and pull. Is it a case of WD40 somewhere or a more complex fix?

7) Detachable Tow Bar? - Been thinking about one for a while, are they any good? Don't Do any towing, but friends have trailers i could use if needed and could get one. Checked with LR HQ and my car was checked for the advisory 'tow bar receiver widening' issue in 2015 and passed. Even better, anyone got one they want to make me an offer on?

8) Small Oil Leak - Centre of engine, small patches, e.g. size of a 2pence piece overnight. Topping up with oil once every 2-4months, maybe even less. would you investigate or not bother? Expecially considering age and milage (2010 140k).

9) Heated Seat Control Module (front) - Sadly i busted this, it wasn't connected via its harness, was lying on floor exposed and got wet. Anyone got one, ordered one on ebay but seller lost it or something, cant find one.

10) FBH and Garages - Just built a garage to house car, put it in overnight, assume people with garages turn FBH off? Seems pretty straight forward as no ventilation for FBH but then you get a cold car in the morning, thoughts?

11) The ‘Voice’ button on the steering wheel, a while back, robbie from the forum had a play with his IID tool (thank you sir) and got some things up and running, however we never managed to get this to work, the car is 2010 so on the old blue nav system but i dont see why the botton would be there if the system was not somehow enablable?

Answers to one or more would be appreciated, anyone who can get all 11 is sure to get a prize posted to them, my eternal gratitude and (i assume) the fevered respect of all those who shall kneel before her or him, lol.

Thanks in advance, tried to be as conclusive as possible, if you need anymore info, let me know.
Alexander

Post #191383412th Feb 2018 2:04 pm
geoffsnook

Wales 

I'll start with the whose noise and black smoke it sounds as your inter-cooler hoses have a split quite common or the inter-cooler itself has a split Thumbs Up
 Discovery 3 se gone
Range rover sport supercharged here:) 

Post #191389412th Feb 2018 4:47 pm
KiwiD4

New Zealand 2011 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto BournvilleDiscovery 4

Answer to number 4, Bluetooth adapter:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bovee-Bluetooth-L...ords=Bovee
 King of the typo.

MY11 D4 5.0 V8, Bournville, lots of goodies!

Now departed: '85 RR Vogue, '94 D1, '95 D1, '70 SIIA, '97 D1, '04 D2a. All V8, except for the SIIA - but that drank as much petrol anyway! 

Post #191393012th Feb 2018 5:49 pm
Lexx

GeoffSnook, thanks for the info so far on the intercooler, how would i get in there to check?

also, to KiwiD4, will get one now Smile cheers!

Post #191424213th Feb 2018 2:07 pm
Lexx

KiwiD4 - Bought, cheers! #excited!!!

Post #191424313th Feb 2018 2:16 pm
Lexx

GeoffSnook - car in now for intercooler hoses, should be done in an hour, hoping its hoses and not intercooler itself! Thanks again!

Post #191499515th Feb 2018 5:08 pm
Lexx

1 and 4 solved (well sort of) so far guys, what about the rest? Smile

2) Head Unit Doesn't work for a few days after being stood - Went on holiday for two weeks, came back, car started immediately, head unit (nav etc.) was dead for a few days, buttons e.g. Home, track forward etc. also dead as a dodo. After a few days it then started to work on some journeys and not on others, then after a few more days (a week now) it works full time and is bomb proof going forward. Happened on two holidays now. Wondering if there is something like a watch battery somewhere or something independent that is going flat. Any thoughts?

3) Faulty Ipod Connection - Left speakers work intermittently when using ipod connection. If you 'nudge' the centre console lid, it start to work properly. Assume broken wire somewhere, know which one it is i need to change and how easy?

5) Rear (not rear rear) Centre Seat Back come undone - as it says, the carpet covering that covers the back of the centre fold down seat has almost completely come off, it looks like some sort of 'compression friction' fitting, do you just have to ram it back in or do you disassemble in some way?

6) Top Section of Boot Sticking - when you push the button by the license plate to open the top 'glass' portion of the boot, you can hear the mechanism working and it opens, but sometimes gets stuck, as if its not completely unlocked, when this happens you can rattle it backwards and forwards as if its partially unlocked, but it wont open, you need to press the button again and pull. Is it a case of WD40 somewhere or a more complex fix?

7) Detachable Tow Bar? - Been thinking about one for a while, are they any good? Don't Do any towing, but friends have trailers i could use if needed and could get one. Checked with LR HQ and my car was checked for the advisory 'tow bar receiver widening' issue in 2015 and passed. Even better, anyone got one they want to make me an offer on?

Cool Small Oil Leak - Centre of engine, small patches, e.g. size of a 2pence piece overnight. Topping up with oil once every 2-4months, maybe even less. would you investigate or not bother? Expecially considering age and milage (2010 140k).

9) Heated Seat Control Module (front) - Sadly i busted this, it wasn't connected via its harness, was lying on floor exposed and got wet. Anyone got one, ordered one on ebay but seller lost it or something, cant find one.

10) FBH and Garages - Just built a garage to house car, put it in overnight, assume people with garages turn FBH off? Seems pretty straight forward as no ventilation for FBH but then you get a cold car in the morning, thoughts?

11) The ‘Voice’ button on the steering wheel, a while back, robbie from the forum had a play with his IID tool (thank you sir) and got some things up and running, however we never managed to get this to work, the car is 2010 so on the old blue nav system but i don't see why the button would be there if the system was not somehow enablable?

Post #191499715th Feb 2018 5:09 pm
geoffsnook

Wales 

2 sounds like the most loop it may have a broken part in it so you need to get a most bypass from ebay and try taking out the blue tooth module first search on here for most problems and enjoy the reading and 3 get yourself a new aux input as it may be faulty itself not to expensive but it does sound like that Thumbs Up
 Discovery 3 se gone

Post #191503215th Feb 2018 6:20 pm
Lexx

geoffsnook:
the plot thickens, had it to another garage and they are noticing when you rev the throttle body separates, is this a gasket and some sealant or should it be moulded together? Pictures attached, i also have a video if you want me to email or text it you or something? (assuming pics might be enough tho).
Where i have highlighted in red is where, when revving the engine, you can feel air and it separates slightly. New throttle body £290, if anyone can recommend how to repair, or a botch? If i have to spring for one i will but seems like just holding two sides of plastic together...

KiwiD4:
JUST GOT THE ADAPTER, love it, great advice, thanks!

Post #191536916th Feb 2018 5:20 pm
geoffsnook

Wales 

Cant see from that but you can download the vid to the site we can see from there i dont think it should part at all but you would be able to get a second hand one on here from one of the site sponsors Thumbs Up
 Discovery 3 se gone

Post #191540816th Feb 2018 6:34 pm
KiwiD4

New Zealand 2011 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto BournvilleDiscovery 4

Thumbs Up
 King of the typo.

MY11 D4 5.0 V8, Bournville, lots of goodies!

Now departed: '85 RR Vogue, '94 D1, '95 D1, '70 SIIA, '97 D1, '04 D2a. All V8, except for the SIIA - but that drank as much petrol anyway! 

Post #191542816th Feb 2018 7:12 pm
Lexx

geoffsnook wrote:
but you can download the vid to the site

how do you do that buddy?
thinking maybe just sealing / fixing it with an epoxy resin, as its plastic, any thoughts?

Post #191641419th Feb 2018 2:54 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >