Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

MPG
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Dexter

Scotland 

Just filled up today, actual since last brim up was 22.5 mpg, computer shows 27.7 Laughing

Not too bad considering the cold temperatures and shortish journeys over the last two weeks but why the difference in the figures? Pretty pointless having this feature if it is so inaccurate.

Still great to drive every day and no problems to report whatsoever after nearly 4 months - touch wood.

Dex

Post #24601816th Jan 2008 12:24 pm
wolster

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

A test! Thumbs Up

(I've not done this by the way. It just occoured to me the other day)

On a stretch of flattish motorway which doesn't climb or drop in overall altitude. Set cruise to 75 mph then reset trip computer. If its quiet enough, hopefully you can maintain this state of tranquility for 2 miles. Check your mpg and post it here.

Lets see what variations we get. I'm guessing results will vary. Debate will then rage as to whether we have differences in engine efficiency or trip computer accuracy.
 What if the "Hokey Cokey" really is what it's all about?

'54 TDV6 Auto SE, Silver, Leather, HSE Wheels, Alpine Roof, Light Guards, Black Side Tubes, Tints.
Y 110 County Commercial, White, just bought it... watch this space for added bits! 

Post #24606016th Jan 2008 2:05 pm
ThatMartinChap

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 4

good idea - i bet its way off.

Post #24607816th Jan 2008 2:33 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

If I can cover between 460 and 500 miles on a tank then I'm happy. That could be 27MPG or 30MPG - who cares. Its a great range and the average I get day to day in my 3 year old.

Post #24608316th Jan 2008 2:41 pm
Pricey

Wales 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Arctic FrostDiscovery 3
MPG

Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry I dont thrash it and try and avoid busy or congested areas and can only average 21.9mpg.Range ffrom full is 368miles.Does not change when towing a twin axle tin tent.Something must be wrong.11000 miles on clock on a 56 plate.HELP Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry

Post #24624416th Jan 2008 8:46 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
simon

I dont trash around either, but also dont hang about when I'm in the mood.

Always had around that range on mine.

Post #24626316th Jan 2008 9:03 pm
J T

England 
Re: MPG

Pricey wrote:
Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry I dont thrash it and try and avoid busy or congested areas and can only average 21.9mpg.Range ffrom full is 368miles.Does not change when towing a twin axle tin tent.Something must be wrong.11000 miles on clock on a 56 plate.HELP Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry

Stuck brake syndrome perhaps.
 http://www.island-weather.co.uk  
Post #24627116th Jan 2008 9:19 pm
simon

Zero your trip (the one below the odo) at the next bank loan inducing fill up and see what it gets too when the orange light comes on to tell you your next loan payment is due... then add that to the range left. Oh and zero your MPG / Trip thingy too.

Post #24629316th Jan 2008 9:42 pm
Shiny Silver

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I changed jobs at the start of the New Year.
2007 was approx 22MPG for 15 miles per day average speed less than 20MPH, now 2008 it's 29 to 30 for 110 miles per day at average speed of minimum 48MPH.
And going to work in morning is consistantly 1MPG less than coming home in the early evening, (it must be an uphill struggle!)

Post #24631616th Jan 2008 9:57 pm
CG

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I get more MPG by using the A5 in the evening than I do on the faster and quicker M6 Toll which runs parallel to it. my 25 mile journey, 18 on the A5, during which I am doing a max of 50mph, but with a lot of stopping and slow traffic. The toll I am only going at 70mph no faster.

overall at the moment I am getting around 28-30 mpg average per tank full

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant" 

Post #24641716th Jan 2008 11:17 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Wex

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Wouldn't it be nice .....................

Post #24667117th Jan 2008 1:16 pm
simonsi

New Zealand 

OK, anyone any ideas on this one:

I find the calculated fuel consumption matches the fuel computer within 1mpg fairly consistently.

I primarily use Tesco diesel from the Loughborough store. Occasionally I run down to the South Coast and fill for the return at the Tesco store nr Hamble. Longer gaps between this round trip would mean that the tank is effectively all Loughborough fuel at the start of the trip down and is approx 50:50 Loughborough/Hamble when starting the return trip.

On the run down I get 26.5mpg, on the run back I get 28.8mpg

This difference seems consistant irrespective of weather conditions over several round trips, no load difference between the trip down and back.

...AND it also occurred on my previous D2!!! Shocked

So I deduce it just has to be a difference between the fuel supplied from each store. Idea

As the journey always starts from Loughborough there may be a cold start / transmission warm-up issue for the downward journey that is largely not there for the return but I can't see that having such an effect over such a long distance (and the engine doesn't seem to have any other running issue, the vehicle is in very good order as was the D2).

My current theory is that the Hamble store gets its fuel direct from Fawley at Southampton, possibly Tesco buy a "better" grade as the costs of delivery from Fawley are so low it makes sense to take a better-than-they-would fuel. The Loughborough store would have longer delivery distance so they may have opted for the cheapest possible fuel to offset the cost of supply.

Anyone any thoughts??? Question Question Question
 Cheers

Simon 

Post #24667717th Jan 2008 1:41 pm
Wex

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Is it downhill from A to B and uphill from B to A ?

Embarassed

Post #24667917th Jan 2008 1:44 pm
simon

Is it that important Shocked

As Wex says, there may be more uphill on the way back and also you may be keener speed wise as your on your way home Thumbs Up

Post #24668017th Jan 2008 1:54 pm
simonsi

New Zealand 

simon wrote:
As Wex says, there may be more uphill on the way back and also you may be keener speed wise as your on your way home Thumbs Up

Maybe but I wouldn't think that is the only long journey I do where I am keener to get home than to go in the first place so I would see similar differences in consumption elsewhere.

The uphill bit may have merit (Hamble must be closer to sea level than Leicestershire) but only by a 100m max - could that account for the energy 3mpg over 150 miles equates to Question Shocked Shocked

Edit - NO!! the lower mpg figure is on the way uphill so it can't be that - in fact the effect is greater if you take that into account..... Rolling Eyes
 Cheers

Simon 

Post #24669817th Jan 2008 2:41 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >