DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

MOT fail ... opinions wanted
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
ruegenwalder

Germany 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
MOT fail ... opinions wanted

Hi there,

I'm used to a lot as an ex-mod 110 driver. But this... with the best will in the world I did not expect what while MOT last Thursday:

What had happened? In the context of measuring the emissions, the inspector had just once let the engine rev up very strongly, just for a few seconds; after the engine rev up you heard another noise (there was no bang or similar) and under the engine the soup shown above ran out. I stopped the engine immediately, and we rolled the car backwards ... About 2-3 litres of oil AND coolant had leaked. A quick visual inspection revealed no source of error ...

I had the car town to my favourite workshop, but they need about 2-3 weeks time to analyze the damage.

I need your opinion (also to make up for the waiting time until then): what could have happened? As I said: there was no loud bang or burst noise. Does anyone know of any comparable damage or has he even experienced it himself?

Since both fluids leaked, it probably must have happened at a place where the two meet - heat exchanger?

I've been driving the car for half a year now, and I'm actually more than satisfied (it's a 2008 HSE with 245 000 kilometres on the clock). There were no conspicuous features before the incident, except for the fact that between 1500 and 1700 rpm there were partly noticeable vibrations from the drive train. That had become a little more in recent times ...

I am very grateful for your opinions - greetings from Hamburg, Germany

Post #216372227th Jul 2020 10:22 am
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Hi Jan

Really bad luck.

Others with more knowledge than I will be along shortly.

NJSS
 Am I Gammon or Woke ? - I neither know nor care.

2016 Discovery 4 Landmark
2011 Mercedes Benz SL350 (R230)
1973 MG B GT V8 - 3.9L John Eales engine, 5 speed R380 gearbox, since 1975.
1959 MGA roadster - 1.9L Peter Burgess Engine - 5 speed gearbox
Past LRs - Multiple FFRs, Discos & a Series I - some petrol, some diesel,
none Electric or H2 fuel cell - yet.
There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those who don’t. 

Post #216373427th Jul 2020 11:21 am
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Hi ruegenwalder and welcome.

Catastrophic failure during the emissions is not unheard of, and to be honest it's the one annual event that scares me.

Does the engine still run and sound OK? My suspicion is oil pump failure causing further damage as the engine was at high revs. Any more info would be helpful but from what you have said it does not sound good.
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #216373727th Jul 2020 11:31 am
Bungle

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Oh dear, on the plus side it did it while it was in a workshop rather than on the autobahn miles from home.....

Unfortunately I have the v8 petrol so my knowledge of the diesel one is limited, but with a leak that big it should be very easy to find once you get it up in the air with the covers off.

Post #216373827th Jul 2020 11:32 am
ronald.soak

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Sorry to hear of your problem.
I wonder if the fan has broken up or become detached and damaged the rear of the radiator / oil cooler.
I had this happen on another vehicle once and even with a metal fan and water pump pulley there was only a dull thump. A plastic fan part could be quieter and if something was wrong in this area it might explain the earlier vibration.
Although expensive I hope in part that this may be the problem as your prompt reaction should have saved the engine.

Good luck

John

Post #216377827th Jul 2020 1:05 pm
ruegenwalder

Thank you all so far for your support and ideas!

The fan actually looked intact but this sounds like a real possibility.

Oil pump: I had both belts replaced and a new original oil pump LR123716 fitted just in January in the very same workshop where the vehicle is now located.

any more thoughts?

Unfortunately, due to the events we were in such a hurry and shock that there was no time to have a decent look under the vehicle removing the engine plate etc.

Post #216379627th Jul 2020 2:07 pm
PROFSR G

The major question here is exactly what oil did you see on the floor? Was it engine, power steering, or transmission oil?

If its engine oil there has possibly been a serious failure, if not that leaves either the transmission cooler lines (unlikely) or the high pressure power steering hose, and that's reinforced for obvious reasons! The fan imploding could easily damage the radiator, or one of the hoses such as the air bleed off hose for example.

Other than that perhaps there was a major failing at the oil cooler, but unfortunately without more information it really is just guesswork until you can provide more detail!

The fact that you had to switch off the engine rather than it dying of itself, does hold a glimmer of hope it's not catastrophic. Here's hoping for the best Thumbs Up
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #216381827th Jul 2020 3:21 pm
aja4x4

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

If you have had the uprated oil pump fitted it could be the crank seal popped out.

Post #216386827th Jul 2020 6:05 pm
ruegenwalder

thanks so far for your speculative contributions, I will of course let you know how things continue ... Bow down

Post #216464030th Jul 2020 4:45 pm
ruegenwalder

I wanted to tell you how it went on: Today I got the car from the garage, NO engine damage.

The culprit was a plastic connector from the cooling water circuit on the engine block (part number 1357091), which broke apart in the middle. Thus the massive gushing of coolant.

According to the master, one can only speculate about the reason for the breakage, material fatigue is a possibility. The same applies to the amount of oil - in his opinion, all this could have been washed out by the splash shower of coolant from the engine and from otherwise non-running cavities in which oil (engine moisture, remains of oil changes, etc.) has collected. But all this is only conjecture.

The fact is that multiple tests showed that the oil circuit apparently remained undamaged, no oil loss could be detected.

Well... drive on and see...

In fact, I am very relieved now that the whole thing happened in the hall at the main inspection and not on the miotorway with the holiday-loaded truck.

Post #216883220th Aug 2020 2:29 pm
PROFSR G

Well it's a positive result but the presence of oil is not explained by failure of the coolant connector.

The connector itself does fail although usually it starts with seepage from cracks, and seems to be more prone to in warmer climates, though not exclusively.
It's not made of the best quality material given the constant fluctuations in temperatures it has to endure. (well done Ford,... AGAIN Rolling Eyes )

Hope all is well with it now and thanks for posting back. Thumbs Up
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #216883820th Aug 2020 2:59 pm
ianm27

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Glad to hear no damage to your engine Thumbs Up
 Uncle Ray's spare wheel protector
Limo Tint
Blackvue front & rear dashcam
Cruise control switch pack
Bodsy's remote for FBH 

Post #216886620th Aug 2020 5:35 pm