Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > North America & LR3/4

Moon Roof Not Sun Roof Glass Cracks From Sat Nav Bubble
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
phurley

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tonga GreenLR3

Bummer about the bad service. My dealer service is fantastic. I've owned BMW, Mercedes, Jaguar & Volvo - and I have to admit that LR service has been at least a cut above (and in some cases, way above) the rest. (My wife's X5 needed a complete set of rotors 400 miles after warranty expiration and they didn't lift a finger - except for the cash register!)

Every time I bring it in, people swarm it wanting to know what the last project was. Really enthusiastic which mostly translates to proper attention.

I stepped on my glass roof this summer - it was an accident. I was loading the Expo rack in the rain with bikes and I slipped off the edge of the last rail with full body weight. Spidered a square foot of glass. My 12-year old son asked me shortly thereafter if "I felt stupid"!

The expo rack definitely needs a floor as standard. Something like this would be the ticket...

Does anyone know when this will be avail in NA?

[Seems like I might have hijacked this thread - my bad!]

Post #3846588th Dec 2008 1:33 am
Viper_iii

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3

As I expected the dealer doesn't care... Haven't heard a peep out of them...

Moved it along to a BBB auto Complaint which forces the Manufacturers hand. Being that they didn't offer to Inspect the vehicle or send anyone out to even verify the dealers claims I would put my case in a 60-40 to my favor at this point...

Just have to get my files in order however it seems pretty clear cut...

Post #38895216th Dec 2008 7:47 pm
COMCLOVIN

I had a cracked sunroof frame, and had it replaced no questions asked. This is a known issue. There is however some tolerance in the slight cracks that appear according to LRNA. As far as your glass crack, that appears to be an issue with the antenna installation, and the dealer really should be taking care of that. Have you called LRNA to see what they will do to rectify the situation?

Post #38897916th Dec 2008 8:44 pm
Viper_iii

LRNA basically said the dealer inspected it and said its impact damage... and dealer service writer "the sun roof rails never have issues on the LR3's" so they, "I'm sure are fine".

So LRNA took the dealers word for it and I don't care to drive to more dealerships and risk my employment taking time away from my job to have it inspected by more dealers. LRNA wants to deal with stupid small claims and mediation... (now have to have a corp. rep in my town for the hearing but cannot use legal counsel for these issues) basically now because they let a dealer deny it sight unseen to LRNA now its going to cost them Twice as much to defend their weak position & possibly have to fix the damage that their dealer denied.

So... yes tried to talk with LRNA but only got a NY/NJ Attitude from Cust Service over there... oh well....

Post #38900216th Dec 2008 9:20 pm
COMCLOVIN

Wow, sorry to hear that. I would agree with you, the crack doesn't appear impact related, but stress related. You should also drop this thread http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic12842.html off to the service rep that said they never have issues, and ask him to define the word never.

Also here is the text from my service documentation regarding replacing my sunroof rails:

"Client states sunroof frame both side lift area has cracks.
CAUSE: FAULTY SUNROOF FRAME
768401 SUN/SLIDING ROOF -COMPLETE - FRONT - RENEW
"

Also I would let your dealer know you will give them the appropriate rating on the JD Powers Survey Wink Again sorry to hear your dealer is giving you such fits. I feel pretty damn lucky here in CO, the dealers have been damn good to me.

Post #38901916th Dec 2008 9:53 pm
Viper_iii

Yup... a little angry with myself for an impulse purchase and not doing any homework...

had I done a simple BBB.or check... I might have seen their rating...

http://www.santabarbara.bbb.org/BusinessRe...D=92002683

Oh well...

Post #38903516th Dec 2008 10:12 pm
COMCLOVIN

Wow, that's pretty damn sad.. a D!! How the hell do they stay in business with those kind of complaints? Well don't let this Censored dealer jade you bud, there are good ones out there!!

Post #38910016th Dec 2008 11:39 pm
Viper_iii

where ya at in colorado?

Lived there for a couple of years in 96/97/98...

lived in the Dillon / Breckenridge areas... worked Driving the I-70 daily into vail, co...

Loved those Great Divide trails in the summer!!!

Post #38911116th Dec 2008 11:50 pm
Viper_iii

Updated shots in the gallery with the dealer photos that the sales guy took.. thought they were uploaded and guess I lost them...

Find the "Dent" "Scratch" that hit that thing just right... whatever...

Click image to enlarge

Post #38913717th Dec 2008 12:55 am
jwest

United States 2007 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackLR3

phurley wrote:
I was loading the Expo rack in the rain with bikes and I slipped off the edge of the last rail with full body weight. Spidered a square foot of glass. My 12-year old son asked me shortly thereafter if "I felt stupid"!

The expo rack definitely needs a floor as standard.

What's an "expo" rack - do you mean the lr rack that has very limited mounting options and poorly built side rails? Granted it looks ok but is practically useless.

I don't think bikes belong on top of something as tall as the lr3. They will fit inside or on a hitch easily.

Whatever rack you use though and where you choose to climb, get yourself a roll of grip tape. Like on mine, your black lr3 will allow the black tape to pretty much disappear. I have it on the ladder rungs, both corners of the upper door roof side, inner 2nd row door wheel arch top and on the 2nd door handle tops. All allow stable standing points to access everything one the roof. Thinking about it, you wouldn't need to ever step on the roof rack to mount bikes if you simply used a fork mount and stood on the tire or door handle to fiddle with it.
 96 Disco I, 210,000 miles - still going strong
04 Disco II, Vienna/Tundra, +2" lift, onboard air, 120V...
07 LR3 HSE
2008 Audi S4 Avant mt6 

Post #3992179th Jan 2009 1:34 am
sowr

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Zermatt SilverLR3
Cracked Roofglass

Did you have new tires fitted or brake work done? I'm proposing a scenario where the vehicle is raised to high on a lift and the antenna pod pushes against something just above it, stress is transferred to the holes in the glass - holes in glass are serious stress risers.
 2006 LR3 SE-7 Zermatt Silver
Technology Package 

Post #4170997th Feb 2009 6:29 pm
NJF

I cracked my glass roof a little over a year ago. I activated the garage door just as SWMBO was entering the garage. It popped the roof blister off (it's for the telephone antenna, and possibly Sirius antenna for those who have it, but not satnav - that's in the high level brake light).

Anyway, other than having the blister in my hand, the car showed no damage - except a cracked glass roof. All my own fault. No doubt your experience is different, but I think that dealers are understandably cautious about whether the cracks are caused by impact or stress. Wink

Post #4171667th Feb 2009 8:26 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >