Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Could there be a monkey bike under my bonnet?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Calcul@tor

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 4
Could there be a monkey bike under my bonnet?

OK - either Land Rover have secretly snuck out and modified my D3 by fitting a monkey bike under the bonnet linked to the throttle, perhaps as some precursor / test bed for their forthcoming supplementary electric motor. Only trouble is, it's making quite a lot of noise, but not delivering any performance benefits. OR something's not right with my D3!

At speeds above about 15/20 mph there is a noise coming from what sounds like somewhere near the front near-side wheel. It almost sounds like a piece of trim rubbing on the tread of the tyre or similar - but I'm sure nothing is touching the wheel. At times there's also almost a resonant quality to the sound and it sounds a bit like an exhaust leak - but I can't hear it at slow speeds or when stopped. It seems to be more linked to road speed, than engine speed.

It therefore seems to me that it may well be in some way be transmission / drive / wheel related. Either that or the 'monkey bike supplementary power option' still needs quite a bit of work.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks
 D4 XS MY12 Galway  
Post #65244624th May 2010 2:49 pm
crwoody

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Front wheel bearing?

Does the noise get more pronounced as you turn into a bend, (increasing the sideways force on it.)

I've just replaced mine for making a similar sound to what you describe. The give-away was when I jacked up that corner and found I could move the wheel a few mm by grabbing it top & bottom and "wobbling" it.
 Clive

Post #65250824th May 2010 5:05 pm
Calcul@tor

Wheel bearing is something I've been thinking about. I haven't noticed it getting worse on cornering - but will pay attention tonight.

If it is - could it fail in a big way and cause either damage or worse, danger, say on a motorway? Did you change yours? Was it easy? Any guide on cost of parts?

Could a bearing also give a resonant 'quality' to the sound?

Thanks
 D4 XS MY12 Galway  
Post #65252924th May 2010 5:38 pm
crwoody

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I suppose you could describe it as "resonant" certainly the rhythm/frequency related to road speed, could be a complete red herring of course.

As I say, the best way to check is to lift the offending corner and see.

If you do need one, the bearings come as a complete pre-assembled hub for about £100, not available separately.

It's not that bad of a job to do though, an hour or so maybe. The longest part for me was removing the M10 countersunk bolt that holds the brake disc onto the flange, ended up having to drill it out after mangling two T50 bits on it .

First undo the big centre nut (32mm socket and a BIG breaker bar,) and the disc fixing bolt while someone stands on the brake pedal, then unbolt the caliper, then the disc and caliper come and off there are four M12 bolts (with 15mm heads) holding the hub onto the outer part, from behind, then you'll need a punch and a fairly heavy hammer to knock the splined end of the CV joint back into the centre of the bearing.

The torque setting for the centre hub is 350nM I believe, since my biggest torque wrench only goes up to 240, I used the "Fat bloke on a big bar" method, not very scientific I know but it compares to the effort required to undo it.

Edited to add; I took mine on a round trip of about 800 miles just before I changed it (because I didn't have time to do it before) with no big drama, but I would strongly advise checking it asap so at least you know what you're up against. If it gets worse you should hear it screaming before it seizes up altogether.

Edited again; Part number for the hub is RFM500010
 Clive

Post #65254924th May 2010 6:36 pm
Calcul@tor

Many thanks for all of that!

I'm not sure whether it's the bearing or not - but it gives me somewhere to start and check first. Oddly, it doesn't seem to get worse cornering, but maybe increases slightly under acceleration - although is definitely road speed related rather than engine speed.
 D4 XS MY12 Galway  
Post #65267024th May 2010 11:05 pm
jonesy63

Location: Didn't we have a lovely time, the day we went to ...

Australia 2011 Discovery 4 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Could it also be a small rock/pebble caught in the brake caliper /stone guard? I've had that on other vehicles before.

Post #65270625th May 2010 7:57 am
Calcul@tor

Thanks - I'll check that too.
 D4 XS MY12 Galway  
Post #65283225th May 2010 12:57 pm
Calcul@tor

Just to finish off this thread...

It was nsf wheel bearing that had gone. All replaced and the monkey seems to have ridden off!
 D4 XS MY12 Galway  
Post #6560533rd Jun 2010 12:24 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >