Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Finance, Insurance and Warranties

Mods vs. Insurance & Warranty (was in 4X4 INFO Screen Ac
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
pom

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Mods vs. Insurance & Warranty (was in 4X4 INFO Screen Ac

Winger there are lots of mods that can be done to a D3 that can effect the insurance, why is bbspy system top of the list ?

I think you all need to chill out.

Pom

Post #4492793rd Apr 2009 11:06 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Pom,

Trust me, I am entirely chilled. I have nothing against the BBS system, but his conjecture about warranty is misleading at the most basic level.

However, DISCO3 is supposed to be a champion of altruism. BBS SPY's post, and this has nothing to do with his product, did not reconcile itself with that principle.

I cannot see that I mentioned insurance; I merely pointed another poster to a discussion on this subject which can be found in another forum. You participated in the discussion, as I recall.

Post #4492893rd Apr 2009 11:15 pm
catweasel

pom wrote:
I think you all need to chill out.
Pom
and I think people need to open their eyes to the other side of modification and also allow others who disagree with whats going on here to post and comment without being told to "chill out" Rolling Eyes
as people all know when the sofware within the vehicle goes wrong it is a royal pain in the Censored and whilst it might be nice to get a mate to alter their vehicle will this same mate fix up other software failures or put it back to normal when you request it or not. Im sure the dealers work has some sort of gaurantee so I would be careful of following this route unless you intend to own your own kit.
as per usual, something new and flashy arrives and everyone wants it and they dont want to hear an opposing view or be told of potential issues but when it comes to the crunch as in the past only a few end up getting it.
I personally dont care for the upgrading function but would like to see the diagnostic side of things work so am not against the kit but the way it is being pushed on this site. if I feel the need to post a percieved issue I will so I think others need to pull their heads in a bit and allow all to post even those that may have a particular sig line but also have a valid reason for posting.

Post #4493004th Apr 2009 12:08 am
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Exactly Chris Thumbs Up

Post #4493394th Apr 2009 8:43 am
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Thumbs Up
I think Mods V insurance or warranty debates are off topic.
At least it can be seen how really easy is to swap between modified and standard settings with our system for whatever reason.
In fact, as well as the ability to save all settings pages as standard HTML, and then re load them and re write them back. Our system also allows you to save any pages of information, it presents EG Fault code lists, live data snap shots etc. And for live data monitoring you can also either capture the screen activity using the built in screen video capture feature or you can stream the data in Raw CSV (Comma Separated Variable) format.
This means you can import the saved data from a capture session into the likes of Excel. Here it can be modified, have sections or elements deleted re organized or whatever. There is also a set of titles and a time stamp parameter stored in the saved data too to help keep track on it. Obviously from Excel, you can then create line charts etc.

Post #4493574th Apr 2009 10:13 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
90BHP

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

BBS SPY wrote:
Thumbs Up
I think Mods V insurance or warranty debates are off topic.
At least it can be seen how really easy is to swap between modified and standard settings with our system for whatever reason.

Surely if you are doing this for an upgrade, swapping back would only be required if you wanted to hide your work from a dealer or an insurance assessor. Insurance wouldn't be off topic if the local Police serious collision unit had to investigate your car (heaven forbid) following a serious accident.

And it really wouldn't be off topic if the performance / functionality was seen as you changing spec / modifying the core electronics of your car. Slightly different, but look at the poor chap who lost his kids in the 110 accident last year . . . .

You also seemed to avoid my warranty comment. Will you stand by a customer and replace / repair at your expense if LR void a warranty claim ? Do you put that in writting to customers. - Why do I ask - because of your "pah" comment about warranty. Personally I don't want a £35k paperweight on my drive.
 "To finish first, one first has to finish ...."  
Post #4494074th Apr 2009 1:58 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
simon

90BHP wrote:

You also seemed to avoid my warranty comment. Will you stand by a customer and replace / repair at your expense if LR void a warranty claim ? Do you put that in writting to customers. - Why do I ask - because of your "pah" comment about warranty. Personally I don't want a £35k paperweight on my drive.

Seems like he is.

Maybe LR standing by their vehicles for three years is not worth BBS warranting the work his equipment does.

Post #4495734th Apr 2009 10:02 pm
90BHP

Seems like he is rather doesn't it . . . .

just my opinion - Not sure If I am allowed one - but I wouldn't touch this with a long stick, until it is well proven. comments like "it's in there somewhere", don't really give me that positive feeling I like to have in product and expertise.
Post #4495784th Apr 2009 10:09 pm
simon

Well I'd better not say as I may be seen to be causing trouble again Rolling Eyes Wink

Post #4495824th Apr 2009 10:14 pm
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

One question, how is any of this different to engine remaps.

1. It affects the software in the car and alters it from factory spec
2. It affects the control of hardware via the modified software so has potential to blow things up.
3. It affects the warranty
4. Few if any remaps offer indemnity of manufacture warranty
5. Many if not all are promoted as invisible to the dealer
6. 100% it affects your insurance without doubt so you have to tell them, more so than any other change mentioned in the BBS thread.
7. All of them had be tried out first by a few people before being considered safe and also the longevity could not be guaranteed until cars had been on the road for some time with a remap.
8. The remap could make the engine as powerful as the new 3 litre engine, so you have almost the same question as adding 4x4 sat nav, if you wanted a more powerful engine why not just buy the new one rather than remap. And before you ask, the new engine will be remapped as well, the the answer because it's not available is not valid.

So I am curious as to why people are so jumpy about it, when a huge number have remaps Confused . Somebody has to be first to do adopt the technology. Not that it helps me as I don't even have basic sat nav Big Cry

By the way I am a huge supporter of remaps, they are reliable and they work Thumbs Up

Last edited by countrywide on 4th Apr 2009 10:51 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #4495844th Apr 2009 10:20 pm
90BHP

I may have a new life support machine, due out. But I wouldn't tell everyone about the Betta testing and I wouldn't promote it at all until I knew what it did Whistle
Post #4495864th Apr 2009 10:25 pm
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

But somebody is testing it and also it is probably being promoted around key users to see what they think Whistle

Without dialogue, many of the nice to have features you would like would probably not be in it. I am not saying the BBS is great, I have never used it but until it goes wrong while in use by a Beta tester then I can't be too critical. As far as I am aware from reading elsewhere the company seems to have a history of products, the majority of which seem to be respected.

Last edited by countrywide on 4th Apr 2009 10:31 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #4495874th Apr 2009 10:27 pm
90BHP

And that's called Betta testing where I work. but you don't go public until you have completed it Thumbs Up

Bit like the spy shots of cars you see - guess what, they are testing them, and by the time you can buy one - it "should" be just right Thumbs Up
Post #4495884th Apr 2009 10:29 pm
powella

Australia 2007 LR3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackLR3

If you are not comfortable with it, then don't buy it.

Thank you all for sharing the thoughts that it may invalidate the warranty, and that you may not be comfortable with it unless someone else takes on the risk.

I am interested in hearing and seeing what this technical tool can and cannot do, so I can make an informed decision around it.

Just a thought, should there be a thread for the diagnostics and the editing side.
That way the theological debates can be avoided for those who only want the diagnostics.
Also then the editing thread could have an appropriate set of boundaries to keep it on topic?

Cheers,
 2007 Discovery 3 HSE TDV6, Java Black. Towing a Kimberley Karavan... somewhere...  
Post #4495894th Apr 2009 10:32 pm
Pelyma

England 

CW right back at the beginning of time similar discussions were had about remaps and all these issues came to light.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #4495904th Apr 2009 10:34 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >