Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Mobile Phone Car Kit Help!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
JMC

Scotland 
Mobile Phone Car Kit Help!

It may seem paradoxical to some, but despite spending my days in the communications business, I HATE mobile phones Shocked

However, I have a Nokia 6230i and no PTI in the D3. My question is a simple one:

What is the best product to allow me to use the phone hands free in the car? - preferably with an external antenna, phone charging ability and radio mute.

I DONT give a flying Censored about phone book transfer, WAP, GAP, PAP or ZAP. I don't want bluetooth and I certainly don't want something that will turn me into a teenage icon. Blackberrys and Blueberrys are for muffins, Parrots are for Pirates and Road Angels are....... well, that's another story Whistle

Installation will certainly not be a problem, I simply want to know what (and perhaps where) to purchase. Thumbs Up
 The older I get, the more I realise that people confuse wrinkles for wisdom Smile
Founder member of Club FFRRV
Club Orange, Mint or Fruit
Club Walnut Sniffers

Post #17230629th Jun 2007 5:20 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

John,

Not sure what car kit to recomend ..as they are different for what you need ..but a good lead to get is http://www.siocommunications.co.uk/06-124B.html

It does depend on what head unit you have ..i have the harmon Kardon one and i didn't need the big bulky lead in the top left .The smaller lead just connects to power and negative , then there's 3 little pins that push into one of the exsisting plugs on the back of the stereo.Then the other end plugs into your car kit (different adapter leads available from same people)

Unfortunatly the kit comes as one ..seems a shame you just cant buy the smaller part Sad

This will then mute the stereo and allow the sound to come through the cars speakers .

I can give you the pin outs for the stereo if you want to do away with the lead and connect directly into the mute wire and speaker inputs

However the lead above does have a little transformer in line because they say it needs it ???? maybee a marketing ploy as i have connected to many other makes without the need for one.

Hope this helps
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #17232029th Jun 2007 5:49 pm
afp001

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Go on, get a Parrot 3200. I installed one this week to my new van. It really is a great bit of kit. The Parrot displays signal strength and battery state. It also features a great voice recognition system. You can get the Nokia MBC-15S cradle for the 6230i, and the Nokia AXF-15S antenna coupler to hook up to a window mounted antenna. In addition, you will need a harness adaptor to modify the ISO connectors to the LR standard. This method is more complicated because the Parrot needs an ignition controlled +12V. (I dont know if the LR has an ignition controlled +12V to the audio unit ). On my VW Crafter van I used the fag lighter for the switched +12V. The advantage to this system is the that the audio is muted during a phone call.

An alternative method would be to use the Nokia car kit along with the cradle / antenna coupler. This system is a simpler installation as it uses its own loudspeaker rather than the car speakers as with the Parrot. In addition, The Nokia kit has auto sensing for the power supply.
 TDV6 SE auto, Java / Alpacca
2010 Mini Cooper S Conv. Pepper White, Blue roof
2010 Jaguar XJ, Caviar with Cashew seats, B&W 1200W Hifi 

Post #17232529th Jun 2007 6:11 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
CFB

United Kingdom 

I fitted the Nokia CK-7W car kit, it has bluetooth if you don't want to bother with a cradle but can be used with the Nokia cradle mentioned earlier too. Easy to fit as it just piggybacks onto the radio harness. I used the elan mute lead, same idea as the Autoleads one at sio but a bit better quality apparantly.

I fitted the cradle into the passenger cupholder...

Click image to enlarge

...... as I don't like the cradle sticking out of the dash on a bracket, it fits like a glove in there Smile
 2020 BMW X1 18d XDrive X-Line Auto  
Post #17234129th Jun 2007 6:47 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

If you don't want bluetooth, then I think CFB's is the one to go for. Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #17240729th Jun 2007 10:31 pm
CFB

United Kingdom 

Mine has bluetooth too, controlled by the silver button above the driver side cup holder Thumbs Up
Post #17241129th Jun 2007 10:42 pm
JMC

Scotland 

Thanks guys Thumbs Up

Looks like CFB has what I'm after.... oooerrr missus Wink

CK-7W seems to be the thing - but what's with the 'Elan' lead. I take it this isn't in the Nolia box...... Confused

Give me a two-way radio any day Whistle
 The older I get, the more I realise that people confuse wrinkles for wisdom Smile
Founder member of Club FFRRV
Club Orange, Mint or Fruit
Club Walnut Sniffers

Post #17262530th Jun 2007 7:24 pm
RMB

Scotland 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Hi All

Fitted Parrot 3200, can't get it to mute or play through speakers.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Post #2128167th Oct 2007 7:00 pm
CFB

United Kingdom 

For mute and play through speakers you need an interface lead as described earlier such as an elan etc. It plugs into the radio harness and into your phone kit. All plug and play, no wiring to do.
Post #2128337th Oct 2007 7:31 pm
RMB

Scotland 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

TRhanks Cote

I should have said, I have used all the leads required autoleads 06-124b, but I got no instructions with the cable. I got the Parrot working eg - making calls etc, but it just wont mute radio.
I must have the mute and audio cables connected wrong, but just cant figure it out. A nybody got installation instructions.
Thanks

Post #2128607th Oct 2007 7:54 pm
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

I just plugged my phone in the aux input and use the phone mic, it's a Nokia N95 and everybody says it sounds perfect. The only thing is you need to press the aux button when answering the call. If I am using the MP3 on the phone, I it automatically just switches to the phone call as I am on AUX input already.

Post #2129027th Oct 2007 9:53 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >