DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D4)

Mixed width Tyres
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Singh

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4
Mixed width Tyres

Hi All,

So I need a new set of front tyres, since they ones I have have wear on the outer edges (from what I am told its common for heavy cars, that the front left takes most of the load in left hand drive scenario).

Car came with Nexen Rodian HPs, 255 50 20 on it.

Now, I can get 275 45 20 Uniroyal Rain Sports at a good price, around £95 delivered, which is only a few pounds more than a Nexen, for what I believe is a much better tyre.

Questions are:

1. Is the tyre any better for road only use?
2. Would I have a problem running these wider ones/different sized ones on the back until the other two Nexen need to be replaced?

Post #168000112th Jul 2016 3:45 pm
MrH

United Kingdom 

Wider ones are likely to rub on the components in the wheel arches and you could find your insurance invalidated by using non-OEM tyre sizes/specifications.
 LRs are a fond memory, apart from the maintenance.  
Post #168002012th Jul 2016 4:15 pm
grzesiul

Poland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

I have spoken in similar case with my last insurer and as long their underwriters are OK they would accept the change but on all corners
this situation would be ins invalidated on the spot
G

Post #168002512th Jul 2016 4:29 pm
armalites

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

It's a shame that 4 year old D4s are already at the point where people are scrimping on tyres and maintenance.

If the tyres are wearing on the outer edges then the tracking is out(asssuming you mean the outside of each tyre). Even a heavy car like a D4 will wear the tyres evenly if set up correctly and whoever told you it's common on heavier cars is talking tosh.

Best course of action is to put a set of 4 of the correct size on Thumbs Up
 IID PRO
MSV Extreme
Nanocom One 

Last edited by armalites on 12th Jul 2016 5:03 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #168002712th Jul 2016 4:47 pm
Windy Corner

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

My D4 tyres wear evenly because the tracking is correct and the tyre pressures are right

If yours wear on the edge something is wrong

Get a 4 wheel alignment done, check the pressures and put 4 decent tyres on, Scorpions, ATR's, AT's, W4E's etc etc

Wouldn't let Nexan or Uniroyal anywhere near mine

R
 Discovery 4 HSE SDV6 Baltic Blue
Discovery 3 S TDV6 Zambezi Silver - Now gone........
Leicestershire & Rutland 4x4 Response 

Post #168003412th Jul 2016 4:57 pm
Singh

Thanks for the input.

For the record, I'm not looking to scripm on tyres or maintenance. Far from it in the fact I am considering better tyres than what the car was supplied to me with. I'm well aware there are premium brands, but as with anything, it's about driving within the limits of your tyres. All tyres have a different set of characteristics, and provided you drive with awareness and consideration of what those are, then you can't really say you skimp on tyres. Price itself is largely irrelevant as measure of tyres. Standards are prescribed and tyres are marketed based on tests to those standards. There will always be the argument that premium tyres shorten braking distances and that in the event of an emergency, you are at the mercy of the tyres. However, buying premium tyres so you are not skimping doesn't give rise to being allowed to drive like a fool at excess speed, leaving insufficient braking distance, or ignoring environmental factors.

That wasn't meant to be a rant, but people always get in high horse about tyres and go all Lord of the Mannor looking down on those who don't splash out £250 per tyre.

On another note, the question on tyre size change to a 275/45 was driven by the fact so many on this forum advocate that size. I would in all honestly not have swapped for different sizes to have a mixed set, but wanted to see if there was any intelligible reasoning against it.

Post #168003812th Jul 2016 5:06 pm
Singh

Windy Corner wrote:
My D4 tyres wear evenly because the tracking is correct and the tyre pressures are right

If yours wear on the edge something is wrong

Get a 4 wheel alignment done, check the pressures and put 4 decent tyres on, Scorpions, ATR's, AT's, W4E's etc etc

Wouldn't let Nexan or Uniroyal anywhere near mine

R

Thanks for the input. Mine wear on the front shoulder, and having had the tracking checked it came back fine. It was a workshop manager at LR who actually told me most of the wear I am seeing is down to the corner loading of driving briskly through corners, and the compound of the tyre not dealing well with it. Again his advice was a more premium tyre would probably wear better due to the compound, nothing mentioned in regards to the price of the tyre Wink

Post #168004112th Jul 2016 5:11 pm
al cope

England 

275/45x20's and 255/50x20's are almost a straight swap, but they are a couple of percent different in their rolling diameter (255=672Revs per mile, 275=678 Revs per mile)

Personally, I wouldnt mix the 2 sizes, but I would happily use a full set of 275/45x20's

I have tried using Nexens a few years back, for all of a few weeks - absolutely rubbish tyres.

I agree, nobody wants to pay top dollar, but see if you can find some mid range priced tyres as I think these would be a better bet.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #168004512th Jul 2016 5:20 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Ali1971

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Have to say abnormal wear on tyres is not right . Had the tracking checked at Kwik Fit years ago ( Honda ) for an lignment issue , they couldn't do tha right neither! Paid a bit extra and got proper 4 wheel done and no more costly premature tyre issue since !

Post #168106915th Jul 2016 12:24 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >