Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Might need to sell D4 XS
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
bdc6570

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 4
Might need to sell D4 XS

Not sure what to do really!! Been working from home for a year now that's not going to change for another 12 month for me. Our family business is all online, we bought the D4 to use as family car and a work car the plan was to use the D4 as advertising for the our business but it not been used for that either!
we had one good holiday to Yorkshire in her but now its been used to go shopping by the wife!!

D4 is spot on no issues at all- all major works completed just turned 88k on the clock do I keep or sell!! Confused Confused
For the D4 to just on the drive its costing 1k a year

Post #220176313th Jan 2021 3:52 pm
Pedros

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Decisions decisions. If you intend to keep it but the wife has an alternative to shopping in it, then the first thing to do is SORN it. There's a good chunk of that £1000 a year saved. Obviously I would keep the insurance on it, but you might ask your insurance company if it's cheaper because it it's off the road not getting used. You could probably delay a service for a year too. With those, it won't be so much to keep for a year. But that assumes that you intend to use it for whatever purpose after. Keeping it will certainly be cheaper than selling it and then buying another 12 months down the line.

If the likelihood of it being used much after a year is low or nil, then the clever thing to do is to sell it.

However, that's the head deciding. Only you can decide if the heart might trump that.

Post #220176413th Jan 2021 4:05 pm
Scott #55

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

If you sell, what are you going to replace it with?

You say you've done all major work and I'd guess that you've got a reasonable idea of the history of the vehicle. Buying a new car (or second-hand) puts you back to the start, menaing that all the jobs you've done will be comuing round again...

In my experience (not extensive), you'll end up spending more than you make on the sale for a replacement and still have ongoing costs.

My D4 is 11 years old and I'd rather spend the annual servicing and repairs costs than go for a new car. I've owned the car since she was 4 years old, and she still makes me smile when I get in.

I'm fairly certain that, were I to change for a non-D4, I'd regret the decision.
 2014 - D4 2010 HSE Nara Bronze
2012 - FL2 2009 GS Stornoway Grey
2001 - VW Passat Estate Inky Blue
1999 - Ford Mondeo Light Blue
1998 - Rover 25 Red 

Post #220194314th Jan 2021 6:14 am
RogB

United Kingdom 

ive just had the same dilemma, I still need a car for local trips to the shops and my support bubble but the D4 is eating up a huge chunk of cash sitting on the drive for 4/5 days a week. Ive been WFH now for a year and no doubt quite a few more months at least, maybe Ill never even go back to commuting 70 miles a day.

ive just part ex'd it for £9500 (2011 8 speed XS model 113k miles) against a 2018 Kia Sportage 3 1.7D, still with 2 free services and 4.5 years manufacturer warranty. Its got all the toys and more but I know it wont be the same pleasure as driving a D4 (although I wont have the reliability cloud hanging over my head anymore)

oh and that means ill have a few bits for sale Laughing (roof bars, rear ladder, dog guard and divider)
 2011 D4 XS 305 MY12 - gone but not forgotten  
Post #220195714th Jan 2021 7:38 am
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Vehicles stood up unused outside do not fare well and can go downhill fast, especially this time of year, under cover no worries well apart from rodents!

Post #220195814th Jan 2021 7:45 am
RogB

United Kingdom 

^^^
with the recent prolonged cold snap mine was really taking its time with the glow plugs after a couple of days of not being started up. Battery is fine, just several consecutive nights and partial days of sub zero temps.
Post #220196614th Jan 2021 8:18 am
swansty

Northern Ireland 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

RogB wrote:
ive just had the same dilemma, I still need a car for local trips to the shops and my support bubble but the D4 is eating up a huge chunk of cash sitting on the drive for 4/5 days a week. Ive been WFH now for a year and no doubt quite a few more months at least, maybe Ill never even go back to commuting 70 miles a day.

ive just part ex'd it for £9500 (2011 8 speed XS model 113k miles) against a 2018 Kia Sportage 3 1.7D, still with 2 free services and 4.5 years manufacturer warranty. Its got all the toys and more but I know it wont be the same pleasure as driving a D4 (although I wont have the reliability cloud hanging over my head anymore)

oh and that means ill have a few bits for sale Laughing (roof bars, rear ladder, dog guard and divider)

Im sorry for your loss.....

Any car costs you money, be it just sitting or being driven. Mine has only done 6000 miles in the last 12 months. My other car did about 2000. While the other car is cheaper to run, its less practical so I'm likely going to sell it. I may replace it with another toy but the D4 is going nowhere. Its irreplaceable IMO for family life. So your decision depends on your own circumstances - financial, what the vehicle is needed for, etc etc.

Post #220199414th Jan 2021 9:41 am
SN

you've got it easy at 1k a year....

cars=moneypits

accept it.
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #220200414th Jan 2021 10:02 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RogB

United Kingdom 

agree with the above comments. Thumbs Up
I live on my own with just my idiot springer spaniel for company, my grown up kids have their own cars, houses and dogs and only rarely go in my car these days.

I love the D4 and I know ill regret selling it in some way as its been such a useful all rounder. I can afford to keep it but its just excess money down the drain, but ive only done 6k in a year in it.

The Kia comes with the balance of the 7 year manufacturer warranty, 2 services left on the service plan, 1 years breakdown, has only 29k on the clock and cost £150 to tax and should give me high 40's mpg round town rather than 18mpg and nearly £600 tax and is basically the same size and spec as a Freelander 2 Metropolis that's 4 years older with more than twice the mileage.
Post #220204314th Jan 2021 11:46 am
bdc6570

Scott #55 wrote:
If you sell, what are you going to replace it with?

You say you've done all major work and I'd guess that you've got a reasonable idea of the history of the vehicle. Buying a new car (or second-hand) puts you back to the start, menaing that all the jobs you've done will be comuing round again...

In my experience (not extensive), you'll end up spending more than you make on the sale for a replacement and still have ongoing costs.

My D4 is 11 years old and I'd rather spend the annual servicing and repairs costs than go for a new car. I've owned the car since she was 4 years old, and she still makes me smile when I get in.

I'm fairly certain that, were I to change for a non-D4, I'd regret the decision.

We have another vehicle and could share for now! I do get the smile bit.. Its such a lovely car to have and own, it does tick all the boxes that why we bought a D4.. Wink
Don't know at this stage, going to sleep on it for a while!!

Post #220218114th Jan 2021 6:21 pm
bdc6570

Gave the D4 a good power wash today -she looks amazing.. then the drive to put some fuel in.. She does make me smile Very Happy

Still not sure what to do but for now she is nice and shiny sitting on the drive all smug!

Post #220613928th Jan 2021 6:25 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >