Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Map Sensor Issues
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
eoin k

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Maya GoldDiscovery 3
Map Sensor Issues

Hi guys . I was looking around the site and i saw clean your map sensor, so i did. I took it out and it had half the size of a pea of carbon/grease. Cleaned it with wd 40 and gently with acetylene needles. Looked good and clean happy Very Happy .. Until i drove 200m then it stopped with transmission failure, engine failure, hdc failure
suspension height failure. Not much left to fail..
Anyone have ideas what may be the cause? seemed to work better blocked or have i damaged it. I was considering trying a tiny bit of gasket silicone to block it again to see would it work. If not i could remove it later?
Big Cry

Post #82910526th Aug 2011 5:17 pm
StephenO

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Maybe stuck the needle too far in the hole, I did mine last week with no issues. Used WD40 but only just skimmed the whole to clear it.
Thumbs Up
 2016 RR Sport Autobiography

Zambezi Silver 2005 D3 Zambezi Silver
1995 Defender 90 300Tdi Coniston Green
1968 Series 2a SWB Bronze Green 

Last edited by StephenO on 27th Aug 2011 9:59 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #82911826th Aug 2011 6:35 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
euangibson

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

Yup have to agree....think you might have punctured the diaphragm.....I just squirted WD40 in the hole and soaked it out with tissue paper
 "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool,than to speak out and remove all doubt" ?.....what rubbish...

Locking rear E-diff
RLD spare wheel protector & sump guard
Extended roof rails
Series 111 mudflaps
Black side tubes,grill and vents
Timed climate remote
Hids4u interior lights

D4 Firenze my2012 HSE
D3 Java 2005 SE manual (sold,sadly,thanks for the memories)
1966 '88 Series 2a....still starts in the morning better than I do... 

Last edited by euangibson on 31st Aug 2011 11:47 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #82912726th Aug 2011 7:47 pm
eoin k

Ok guys. didnt think i did damage it.The only thing i can think of is it i gave it a little shot of the air line Big Cry so maybe that would do in the diaphragm. Does anyone know if it would cause the system to report transmission fault too??
Im hoping it does as i was in the process of flushing the trans too got its second new 5 litres last night and wll was goin well until this. had planned to drain it sunday and put on the new pump assembly which i collected earlier.
I changed brake light bulbs last night too but removed them to see would it clear the fault. I also was messing with the second key which is flat would turn on the ignition but wouldnt turn over the engine Question could this have done it either? i read in the owners manual it must be in the ignition with the engine running to charge the key.

It worked ok earlier with new bulbs today. Just started faults after cleaning or killing map sensor.or with the second key.... Very bleak day

Post #82914126th Aug 2011 8:44 pm
StephenO

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Not good,

Can't see it being anything to do with the second key, most likely the map sensor.

If you read earlier posts on this I'm sure the guys who did damage their map sensors did show no end of faults!

I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure this is what it'll be

Contact TLO for best price. Thumbs Up
 2016 RR Sport Autobiography

Zambezi Silver 2005 D3 Zambezi Silver
1995 Defender 90 300Tdi Coniston Green
1968 Series 2a SWB Bronze Green 

Post #82921327th Aug 2011 10:06 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

iside the MAP sensor is a very fine membrane, remember it has to detect air pressure, so a blast with an airline will almost certainly damage it.
They're about £140 ISTR
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #82921827th Aug 2011 10:26 am
Dunny1

Hi
I have had similar experiances as you as i,m sure you know the D3 when they have a fault tend to throw up everything at you eventually had to change EGRs out as EMS light came on all the time, but did clean the MAP sensor a bout 3 weeks ago, the car at first start would under 2000 rpm and under 40 MPH go into limp mode the only warning i got was special program failure this would happen about 4 times then the car was back to normal.

Anyway I need to write on the forum what problem i had and how i fixed it but had 2 LRs dealers do a DNT and both said new turbo needed roughly about £2 K, i had no black or white smoke car when turbo kicks in is fast and has power so i decided to change the MAP sensor as i was convinced it was not the turbo this i did yesterday sofar so good car OK problem not there yesterday, just come back in from giving her a run today no problem cars back to normal.

Keeping my fingers crossed but car doe,s more MPG and is quite like it used to be.

Post #82922427th Aug 2011 10:48 am
eoin k

Ok Dunny sounds Good..
I had no problems at all just the trans judder which was in the process of being cured. I read some of the threads here about the map sensor and decided to clean it, but looks like it died on the op table!!

I rang LR dealer here in the Irl and Suprise Suprise its 204 euro here plus vat.
An independant LR man here told me even with a new sensor fitted, it must be plugged in to the diagnostics to clear the fault onces its logged.
Did yours work ok after the new sensor went in or was diagnostics for you also??

Thanks a mil

Post #82923427th Aug 2011 11:41 am
Dunny1

eoin K
just fitted it and it worked the cost from your LR seems high, however some good info i picked up was from TLO i should have bought the senor off him but thought he was on his hols, so I went to Rimmer bros but had to wait a while sent MAF sensor at first then eventually got the correct sensor what i asked for to begin with.

Try TLO on the forum here as he would of supplied me, he also explained buy the Y peace and sensor it,s £115.00 buy the sensor separate as i did its cost is £166.00p typical LR eh and i had already prepaid Rimmer for the part.

Also MPG has gone up slightly from 20, 21 on motorway driving after all the faults to av 25.2 mpg now

Dunny1

Post #82925527th Aug 2011 1:51 pm
eoin k

Yes confirmed.. i killed the map sensor. Having had a big problem locating a new one quickly which turned out to be 250euro incl vat.. what a deal!! I rang a few breakers yards here. I located a sensor from a fire damaged 08 RR sport for 70 euro. It has a slight different number on the sensor which worried me a little looked the same in every way and im glad to say works the same too.

Funny enough I removed it myself and it was clean as a whistle no crud at all. Delighted to say the avg consumption has went from 20.5 normal driving to around 25 whic is a result I think Thumbs Up

Post #83029731st Aug 2011 10:59 am
Dunny1

eoin k
Good news then you fixed it

Happy motoring

Dunny1

Post #83030331st Aug 2011 11:44 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >