Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Manual seat keeps lowering down
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
bobic

Ireland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3
Manual seat keeps lowering down

The (non-electric Sad )seats on our disco keep lowering all the way down. Need to be adjusted up after every journey, even a short one. It lowers quicker when my dad is driving but thats probably cause he's a bit fat Smile Any body else have this problem?

Has anyone tried to fit FFRR seats into a disco? I have seen defenders with disco2 seats in em.

Post #27870128th Mar 2008 2:27 pm
Jimbob Squarepants

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

This is a known problem. It's been discussed on here several times. I believe there is a TSB on this. LR replace the seat base.
 Too much intellectual firepower can damage your common sense.  
Post #27871028th Mar 2008 2:43 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Shouldn't be happening on an 08 car as the fix came out in time of 07 build I think? Either way, there is a clear precedent for getting the seat base replaced.
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #27871128th Mar 2008 2:47 pm
bobic

Thanks lads, I will look for the TSB and see what the dealer does for me. Its an 07 model so maybe they hadn't sorted it at that time.

Post #27871628th Mar 2008 3:00 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

TSB LA501-021 Manual seat adjustment 15th March 2006

"Vehicles with manually adjustable seats Vin range: 5A300167 Onwards

Markets: All except NAS and Japan

Summary:
A customer may report a concern that over long journeys, the seat requires re-adjustment to maintain the desired height, or that when left unattended for long periods the seat height adjustment requires lowering.

Cause: A tolerance issue within the height adjustment mechanism can lead to height adjustment slippage.
Action: Should a customer express concern regarding the above, refer to the Service Procedure detailed in this bulletin.

NOTE: The height adjustment lever is close to the edge of the seat cushion and is prone to accidental operation during driver ingress and egress. A customer may perceive that the seat is self-lowering when this is not the case. The seat cannot lower itself when unattended due to the presence of two assistor springs under the seat base. In order to avoid unnecessary component replacement, ensure that the driver is not accidently operating the adjustment lever. This can be established by placing a solid object between the lever and the seat trim to immobilize it during ingress/egress to confirm if the symptoms persist."
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #27872328th Mar 2008 3:08 pm
bobic

thanks nodo$h, I'll be with the dealer on Monday Thumbs Up

Post #27875028th Mar 2008 4:17 pm
CFB

United Kingdom 

My 57 plater does this, I have realised that it is nothing to do with a TSB etc but as per the note above it is the lever being depressed as i climb in and out that causes it to sink down. I need to sort it by putting something in place to jam the lever but just not got round to it.
 2020 BMW X1 18d XDrive X-Line Auto  
Post #27879828th Mar 2008 6:33 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SN

Andy - I'm not convinced that this is the case - mine also drops over time and I pump it up as required - maybe an experiment, perhaps with some chalk dust on the handle and see if it gets wiped off by my Censored
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #27881528th Mar 2008 6:58 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Neil Pettersen

CFB wrote:
My 57 plater does this, I have realised that it is nothing to do with a TSB etc but as per the note above it is the lever being depressed as i climb in and out that causes it to sink down. I need to sort it by putting something in place to jam the lever but just not got round to it.

I keep catching the lever when exiting.......sliding off the seat to place my foot on the ground because there is no foot rail, appears to be my problem. It's a real nuisance and I'm getting fedup with it !

Post #27909429th Mar 2008 12:02 pm
highbridgeflyer

United Kingdom 

CFB wrote:

Go talk to your local dealer. It is coverd under the relevant TSB Thumbs Up

Post #27910129th Mar 2008 12:59 pm
mobyone

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Had mine replaced 2 weeks ago and new lever is much stiffer and does not cause same problem. Fixed under TSB as stated by others.. Just make sure the twit Evil or Very Mad who replaces the seat base installs the wiring loom correctly around the seat bracket, otherwise you'll be back in again to have it re-fitted... Twits...
 What's the point.... it all comes out in the wash anyway!

85 Range Rover
01 Disco Series II
05 D3 V6SE, Bonatti Grey, 19"alloys 

Post #27980631st Mar 2008 5:25 am
eran48

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

G'day everybody,

I have the MY08 and the seat STILL sinks Evil or Very Mad

Took it in to the dealer and they came back and said that they have to replace the original seat base with a new MODIFIED seat base. Thye are still waiting for it to be delivered from Land Rover Australia.

Cheers.

Post #2803111st Apr 2008 4:27 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >