Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Manual D3's withdrawn from LRE Centres
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Quote:
I'm doin my free half day on wednesday PM, anyone else there ??

where???? Embarassed Embarassed ------------ Eastnor
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #1149252nd Jan 2007 10:56 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

TFC,
Probably confused with it being locked in gear and not changing up even in drive, until throttle is pressed. (great feature).
When on a steep descent, particularly after going over drainage humps in low range, something cuts in and suddenly slows the D3 like the bakes have gone on. Shocked
HDC is off; I have double checked.
I would think LR would have some design feature to prevent gear box damage with reverse torque as this must occure regularly in an off road vehicle?
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #1149262nd Jan 2007 10:57 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

yer, agree - although fluid dynamics is a whole lot different to the basic physics of a manual gearbox Confused
Without knowing the mapping and logic of each system, I think it's likely that TC is utilised to minimise the reverse torque to some extent, engine braking is still there with an auto but you have to go through the null point of having neither positive or negative power in the drivetrain first.
Three specific instances reinforce my preference in manual 'boxes
1. A D3 auto going 'dead stick' on a hill decent after bouncing heavily and getting a shedload of reverse torque - fortunately it stalled te engine and the 'box was OK
2.A D3 auto going runaway down a steep downward slope - no engine braking or otherwise, HDC was off but commandshift was in 1st Shocked
3. A D3 auto dragging itself down a slippery decent by it's front wheels with the handbrake still on - once moving the handbrake wouldn't release without either applying the throttle or the footbrake, neither of which were desirable at the time and would have caused the car to slide even more Surprised

Post #1149312nd Jan 2007 11:09 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

I have driven my auto D3 for 75,000 miles.

The only time I have felt a manual would be better was when 'extreme' 4x4ing.
This being a rock crawl situation when I needed to apply throttle to clear an obstacle which once cleared the car surged forward. If I was in a manual I would have let the car tick over and the surge followed by brakes would not have been necessary.
The other time was climbing sand dunes the auto will over ride the manual select and change up just as you start to climb the dune Shocked not what you want. Basically I know whats coming the auto box does not and decides to change up, this would not happen in a manual. This is latter problem is probably due to my inexperience driving dunes in an auto. And the fact that the DSC OFF does not turn the DSC OFF Evil or Very Mad it should be called the DSC 75% OFF

Apart from these extreme situations I would recommend the auto box as it makes the Permagrin even bigger. I have towed heavy trailers up and down the country, across muddy fields up through forest tracks, believe me it has had some stick and it still feels like new. It has never ever failed in any situation I have thrown at it.

I will be replacing my auto D3 with another Auto D3 in March (Rimini Red BTW) I will then take it to Morocco in September and learn how to drive it in dunes proper. Wink

My wish if Land Rover are watching:- Please can I lock and stay into gears 1, 2 or 3 in low range. Razz

At the end of the day we are all individuals and Land Rover give us all a choice of vehicles. Personally I think a Rimini Red D3 HSE TDV6 Auto, Locking rear diff etc etc Tv etc Winch etc is the best vehicle they produce. Thumbs Up
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #1149422nd Jan 2007 11:36 pm
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

10forcash wrote:
yer, agree - although fluid dynamics is a whole lot different to the basic physics of a manual gearbox Confused
Without knowing the mapping and logic of each system, I think it's likely that TC is utilised to minimise the reverse torque to some extent, engine braking is still there with an auto but you have to go through the null point of having neither positive or negative power in the drivetrain first.
Three specific instances reinforce my preference in manual 'boxes
1. A D3 auto going 'dead stick' on a hill decent after bouncing heavily and getting a shedload of reverse torque - fortunately it stalled te engine and the 'box was OK
2.A D3 auto going runaway down a steep downward slope - no engine braking or otherwise, HDC was off but commandshift was in 1st Shocked
3. A D3 auto dragging itself down a slippery decent by it's front wheels with the handbrake still on - once moving the handbrake wouldn't release without either applying the throttle or the footbrake, neither of which were desirable at the time and would have caused the car to slide even more Surprised

What about putting it into reverse at 50mph Question er twice Rolling Eyes
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #1149442nd Jan 2007 11:39 pm
Malcolm

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Well after 5 manual boxes on D2 and D3's the new and due next week will be an auto........... Why? Well 1st number on son is in year 2 of his automotive design degree at coventry and one of the tutors is an LR desginer who dropped a huge manuals are being phased out comment.
Secondly when ordering new D3 one of the LR instuctors from ashford way was there and said all the mapping was tuned for auto's and you would only buy a manual to give yourself a hard time.
 Alive and kicking..who's round is it anyway ??  
Post #1149583rd Jan 2007 12:07 am
Chocolate

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

This has to be down to preference, before buying our D3, we (me and wife) drove several autos and manuals, all diesels. I dont know if it was just the cars themselves but the manuals all felt that little bit sharper on acceleration, is this because a certain amount of bhp is lost through the torque converter?, also with autos mpg always seems to suffer.

I had a BMW steptronic auto and loved it to bits, great gearbox and the 6 speed auto on the D3 also feels great, responsive etc.... but 1 problem......wife would NOT drive an auto, so, sadly if LR phase the manual gearbox out altogether then I will probably end up driving something other than a D3 which would be a shame.

Car of the Year 2005, 2006 and 2007, Best Large 4x4
Top Gear "Best Car In The World"
4x4 Magazine "Best 4x4 In The World"

2005 D3 2.7 TDV6 SE Manual, Zambezi Silver, Ebony Powered/Heated Leather, Privacy Glass, Side protection, Parrot CK3200LS Bluetooth Phone Kit, 18" Type 2 Alloys, Bi-Xenons, and Tasmods Stainless Steel sill trims, MANTEC Protection 

Post #1149623rd Jan 2007 12:28 am
Malcolm

Chocolate
I must say I felt the auto was about as sharp as the manual on the test drive, however I do intend going down the turbochip route.

I just have to ask why your wife does not drive auto's Question
Post #1149673rd Jan 2007 12:38 am
Chocolate

this has been the subject of many a heated discussion between me and the wife, but unfortunately she is quite a stubborn brute and her take is that she feels "more in control" whereas I state she can be in full control with the command shift but she wont have it. Shocked

Cant tell you how hard it was to find the right car, right colour, in manual, for the same money I could have had the pick of loads of used HSE auto's, but she wouldnt have it!!!! Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad

Quite funny though to see the saleman pulling his hair out in despair, cos he knew he didnt have any manuals!!

2005 D3 2.7 TDV6 SE Manual, Zambezi Silver, Ebony Powered/Heated Leather, Privacy Glass, Side protection, Parrot CK3200LS Bluetooth Phone Kit, 18" Type 2 Alloys, Bi-Xenons, and Tasmods Stainless Steel sill trims, MANTEC Protection 

Last edited by Chocolate on 3rd Jan 2007 12:46 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #1149703rd Jan 2007 12:44 am
SN

Knowing Mrs Chocolate - I can see why HER decision prevailed Laughing Laughing Laughing

Lot like our house really Embarassed
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #1149713rd Jan 2007 12:45 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Chocolate

too right Steve, mind she does drive it 70% of the time, supermarket, school run, work etc.. my baby is my transit van (manual btw!! Laughing ) D3 is mine on days off, evenings and weekends Very Happy

Post #1149733rd Jan 2007 12:48 am
Malcolm

Ah I can relate to your problem , senior management here can make rats jump onto traps when the mood is up!!!!!
That said when I suggested the auto her bit of the test drive was worth it, the salesmans grip marks are still in the back seat where he was holding on for dear life . I guess I should have mentioned she had FTD at a TVR track day Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Post #1149763rd Jan 2007 12:52 am
DiscoStu

England 

Manual - just for the fact you can't stall it in 1st gear low ratio 8)
 Disco 5 HSE Lux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peyiqaJrmMU 

Post #1149773rd Jan 2007 12:54 am
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

ever thought about changing the wife Chocolate?
at least then you could keep the auto D3.. Laughing
 I was a normal heterosexual chap, but in these new woke awakenings I now identify as a Wardrobe.  
Post #1149953rd Jan 2007 10:23 am
Andy4467

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I went for the manual:
Cheaper to buy - cheaper to run (fuel).

However, having driven an Auto it is obvious that the whole on road experience is better with an auto. Cost aside I would choose an auto.

Whether a manaul is more sought after with the off road boys in few years time remains to be seen..!
 Some say the glass is half full. Others that it is half empty. I say 'Are you drinking that?"

Cairns Blue, Ebony Leather, SE
BMW 320d M sport 

Post #1150133rd Jan 2007 11:37 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >