Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Major engine failure following LR service
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
mediabrand

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Major engine failure following LR service

I thought I would document my case for if it helps add some additional information about failures following a service (LR main dealer in this case).

Bought 80k mile 55-plate D3 TDV6 Auto from LR main dealer in late Sept 2011. Full LR service history from 1 dealer all its life, apart from last service just done by supplying dealer. Came with LR Select warranty which I got extended for free to 12 months. Picked up car and noticed a few small niggles (non-engine related) so booked it in for the following week after we took delivery to be sorted FOC. Dea;er collected the car and gave us a courtesy car. Got a call a couple of days later to say while they were on a test drive following the repairs the oil warning light came on, then the engine made some loud noises before failing completely at the roadside. The service guy had to be recovered back to the dealership Shocked

LR warranty are paying up to the claim limit (just over £3k I think) and the dealer are footing the bill for the rest. They are saying that they fitting a complete LR supplied replacement engine (less ancillaries). There has never been any quibble as the failure happened in their possession and we only had the car for about a week beforehand.

They stated the mode of failure was a failed con-rod bolt, but no cause yet given. Due to collect the car this weekend all being well...

Thank God it failed so soon or I feel I may have had a job on my hands to get the replacement engine at no cost to me.

Still have the opportunity to reject the car given their 30 day exchange policy but I feel with a new engine I should be OK and in a far better position than I was with an engine with 80k on it? I only have a couple of days to make this decision so if anyone thinks I should reject it, please let me know.

We did our homework and knew that we are dealing with a relatively unreliable car (bro in law has had no end of trouble) but we didn't expect to come across a fault of this magnitude so soon!!!

My wife has had seven Toyotas that suffered no problems whatsoever, so she is currently regretting not buying a Land Cruiser!!! Surprised I try to keep her off these forums as they worry her!!

Should I get the engine number from them so I can check what they have fitted?

Post #85133925th Oct 2011 12:06 pm
CFB

United Kingdom 

I'd keep it, if you reject and get another you are back to square one.

Getting worrying though the amount of failures of this type, there clearly must be a pattern and or design flaw that needs identifying ASAP
 2020 BMW X1 18d XDrive X-Line Auto  
Post #85134125th Oct 2011 12:18 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
character

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

If it helps your wife, I'm on 440k miles on a 55 plate auto with same engine/turbo.

The important thing to consider is like all 4x4's if yer only using it for short journeys on a regular basis without taking it out for a decent run at least once a week (ie 50 miles at a decent speed down the motorway), then you are going to have issues (although not now you've got a new engine).

Personally if yer budget allows, given its age, and whilst they are working on the car and perhaps with a bit more negotiations, I would get them to do the following:

1) Change the ALL the drive belts (there are 4 although most only do 3 at 105k service)
2) Replace the water pump (only 30 quid part)
3) Replace the turbo (now this is expensive a part to fit genarally due to the labour time, but if the car is being split (ie the body from the chassis) to change the engine, then well worth doing.
4) EGR valves
5) New hoses both coolant and turbo related

These are the most common issues affording a car of yer age that cause a pain to diagnose or can cost a great deal in labour time, but in your present situation, yer 70% there with em having to change the engine Thumbs Up

Post #85134225th Oct 2011 12:20 pm
Gazellio

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 4 TDV6 SE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Character,

Are going for the £500k ?

Post #85134525th Oct 2011 12:25 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

At least the engine is new. Thumbs Up
Interesting there have been some failures with loose bolts. Others have been big end.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #85134625th Oct 2011 12:26 pm
mediabrand

Thanks for the recommendation character. I think I have missed the boat as they were due to finish working on the car today. I will have a word with them now though and see. I would have assumed the belts would be done, but to ASSume (as the saying goes), so I will check that also.

We'll be taking the car on a reasonably good run every other week, so hopefully that will mitigate some of the risk.

And I'll show the Mrs your post!! To be fair, she's not giving me the most grief - the in-laws are! They said "don't get one of them, they're trouble" and it went and proved them right (for now)! The words "told you so" are still ringing in my ears two weeks later!

Post #85136125th Oct 2011 12:49 pm
choppa60

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Thumbs Up Aah but now you can say , it's lucky because we have a virtually new car , because of the new engine , who can say that Thumbs Up
 2008 ,hse, it does what it says .  
Post #85136925th Oct 2011 1:05 pm
mediabrand

Yup - that's what I am saying to everyone Very Happy

Post #85137625th Oct 2011 1:28 pm
character

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

gazellio wrote:
Character,

Are going for the £500k ?
as buzz might say "infinity and beyond" Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter  
Post #85138825th Oct 2011 1:46 pm
CUCO

Spain 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

maybe another engine piston number 6 failed? in the spanish forum we have many...

look at:

17) ROTURA DE MOTOR

in this link:

http://discotr.es/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1393

Post #85139025th Oct 2011 1:47 pm
hugeviking

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

CUCO
from a translation of the spanish site there has been 4 failures and all on no 6 cylinder, have i understood this correctly.

Post #85202326th Oct 2011 8:37 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

character wrote:

1) Change the ALL the drive belts (there are 4 although most only do 3 at 105k service)

Enlighten me. Where is the 4th belt? Confused
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #85268528th Oct 2011 9:46 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >