DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

LR3 EPB Fault (another one!)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Cresco750

New Zealand 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
LR3 EPB Fault (another one!)

Hi all

I feel guilty about starting yet another thread on the topic, but I’ve read through the numerous number of existing threads on the forum regarding EPB faults and still having issues.

For a few weeks now the EPB has had an intermitent fault whereby it would engage ok but not always release. When this occurs the EPB fault message shows, the red EPB light and the amber fault are both illuminated. I was always able to eventually release the EPB by cycling it a couple of times. So far I’ve not had to resort to pulling the manual release cable.
After researching here, I concluded that the pads were likely to be worn / out of adjustment so I fitted new shoes with the hope that all would be good. It turned out that the old shoes were actually in quite good condition, but I fitted the new ones anyway and adjusted them according to Bodsys brake bible.

Now, the EPB engages ok but when I try and disengage it there is no actuating noise from the EPB module, the amber and red EPB lights on and fault message on the dash.
The brake does release when I put the vehicle in gear (automatic) and carefully nudge the vehicle forward or backwards and I can hear the control module cycling as it releases. The warning lights then go out if I then cycle the ignition off and on again.

Also, I am unable to get the vehicle into the EPB bedding in cycle.

I’m fearing that I may need a new EPB module, but before I take it somewhere that has the diagnostic equipment is there anything else that I should or could try?

Many thanks in advance.
Neil
 2016 LR4 SDV6 HSE
SOLD: 2005 2.7 TDV6 HSE Auto 

Post #20070478th Dec 2018 1:49 am
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

You need the codes read if you want to nail down the problem, it might be something as simple as a faulty hand brake switch.
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #20070558th Dec 2018 3:30 am
Cresco750

New Zealand 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Ok, all sorted. Diagnostics revealed a faulty EPB switch, so I replaced that and the park brake functioned normally.
However, as I had also just replaced the bark brake shoes I followed the bedding in procedure, and on the fourth cycle I got all sorts of errors pop up including park brake fault, HDC fault with associated disabling of the terrain modes and putting the trans in a sort of limp mode.
The park brake also made the screeching noise which has been described when it is out of adjustment, so I readjusted it, but still no good.
I limped my way to the garage and they ended up cycling the EPB through its full range of travel with the diagnostics, which reset it back to its neutral point.
 2016 LR4 SDV6 HSE
SOLD: 2005 2.7 TDV6 HSE Auto 

Post #201030118th Dec 2018 5:19 am
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

All's well that ends well Thumbs Up
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #201042018th Dec 2018 2:02 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >