Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

LR3 Adjustable ride height sensor linkages
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
LR3onRoids

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
LR3 Adjustable ride height sensor linkages

Has anyone used the Toddco "Adjustable Height Sensors"? I have a Disco 3 2005 with Air Suspention and would like to know the following:

1. Will using height sensors damage any other part of the suspension?
2. Will it put too much load on the air spring?
3. Will it be permently higher then when I press off road height be higher again?

They are releasing a kit that has height sensors + Aluminum spacers would this be a better option as it holds some of the weight?

Thanks in advanve Thumbs Up

Post #60420416th Feb 2010 12:58 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
discos_galore

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I fitted a set of the toddco spacers. The kit was well made however the adjustable rods they supplied were too long so i had to shorten them. I am still making some minor adjustments but have had one trip up the bush, with my 265/70 - 17 cooper stt's and the suspension performed fantastically. everything suspension setting is about 50mm higher, so it sits 50mm higher in normal mode (about the same as old off road height) then 50 mm higher again in off road height.

The advantage of the spacers is that you don't loose down travel like you do if you just change the rods. I previously tried some rods from green oval experience but was not entirely happy with the result.

Post #64924715th May 2010 12:17 pm
Genis

Namibia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

Was the spacers easy to install? I am very interested in ordering those? By how much did you have to shorten their rods?

Post #66035214th Jun 2010 12:47 pm
Navigator

Location: Stay at Home. One of the lives you save could be your own.

Scotland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

How much does the increased articulation damage the CV joints? Is there a combination that keeps ride height at normal for road use with the increase only coming in on off-road height?
 A vaccine does not stop you catching a virus, or passing it on, or getting ill from it, really ill. It does reduce the likelyhood of you dying when really, really ill. Stay Alive - KEEP AWAY FROM PEOPLE.  
Post #66038414th Jun 2010 1:56 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

How do the spacers work with the EAS, springs I could understand.
The only CV failures I know of are in super extended mode on full lock just add a lot of right foot and bang.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #66067914th Jun 2010 11:08 pm
NeilD

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Navigator wrote:
How much does the increased articulation damage the CV joints? Is there a combination that keeps ride height at normal for road use with the increase only coming in on off-road height?

Nav,

Ride height rods come on fixed and adjustable forms. If using them for at increased height for long periods on road you would be best to get an alignment done as front tyres can wear.

Obviously on full beans and full lock at increased height it is no worse than standard off road level. However if you put the car up into 'off road' level then you do need to be carefull with revs and angles as this is near 'extended' and of course as the car is tricked, you could go into 'Super'.

Like all these things they do not come without their issues but if you know what they are and you remain with a level head you'll be fine.
 My Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/NeilDisco#p/u/5/Dz4-Q95GQ2c
Photo Sets http://www.flickr.com/photos/16658684@N08/sets/72157625275139752/ 

Post #66068114th Jun 2010 11:14 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Wot he said. Thumbs Up

With my adjustable rods you only get 30mm extra lift but this occures in all settings. As Neil said if you are in off road height with shortened rods you will go into extended mode which will bring you close to super extended. The normal height angle of the drive shafts is less than horizontal off road is just over horizontal. So there is not a lot of angle untill you get to super extended. You just need to be aware if you have one of the wheels dropped as when it gets traction it will suddenly take a lot of load.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #66068414th Jun 2010 11:30 pm
discos_galore

caverD3 wrote:
How do the spacers work with the EAS, springs I could understand.
The only CV failures I know of are in super extended mode on full lock just add a lot of right foot and bang.

I totally agree, however that being said i have seen a car without lift, on full lock with plenty of boot snap things.

It's, as NeilD indicates, about knowing your limits.

A month or so ago i came out Zeka Ck track from Wonnangatta and it was reasonably chopped up and rough in spots. I was with 8 toyotas and me in my D3. On one of the little 'short cuts' we had a bit of a play. With the traction control and terrain response working i went up and down a number of times where others had failed or scratched and struggled. I was even intentionally picking the wrong line and going slow and stopping half way up just to proove a point to the doubters. All were suitable impressed and all that travelled with me throughout the trip remarked at how comfortable the ride was and no wonder i was always up behind them no matter how hard they tried to lose me.

Things will no doubt break, however touch wood i have had 3 models of discos and an old rangie, and to this date i have not broken anything major and have followed along some reasonably serious/rough tracks. I like my cars and try to look after them but still use them for what they are made for, off road.

As for fitting the spacers, it was fiddley and took about 5 hours with access to a hoist and full workshop. It is just that some of the nuts that you need to undo are tricky to reach and you can only get a poofteenth of a turn on them at a time. The spacers go on top of the springs, using the existing bolts which have extensions bolted onto them, and toddco supply a small airline extension to extend the top air fitting from the top of the spring to the top of the spacer.

The sensor rods are adjustable but i had to shorten them so they were about standard minus 12 mm which i got from Green Oval's website. I had the wheels alligned and then put it in for a service where they reset the height for me to sit standard +55mm all round and since then I have not had any problems with the suspension.

Each to their own and i am happy with my disco which is still a work in progress.
 2005 Disco 3 TDV6 SE - LR Nudge Bar, winch carrier protection plate. Light Guards. Ironman 12000 lb winch. 17" Dynamic Steel D3 rims. Cooper STT's - 265/70-17. ARB CMKA12 compressor. Home made ($30) D3 air off. Traxide SCLR-40 dual battery kit / Optima Yellow Top D34. Home made AUX audio line in. No 'you've forgotten your seatbelt' alarm. Rear power sockets and battery level monitor for 2nd Battery. Safari Snorkel. Toddco 50mm spacers/Air Suspension lift kit + Battle scratches thanks to me.  
Post #66069415th Jun 2010 4:37 am
GraemeS

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Navigator wrote:
Is there a combination that keeps ride height at normal for road use with the increase only coming in on off-road height?

I'm almost ready to start making an electronic version of CaverD3's but with 2 height settings. Switchable systems allow normal on-road height to be used except when more clearance is required and can be switched-off for extended and super-extended modes to reduce the liklihood of a CV failure, especially the right front which appears prone to pulling the shaft out of the joint at extreme angles.

Post #66074415th Jun 2010 10:01 am
Genis

Namibia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

discos_galore, what problems did only the adjustable/shortened rods give you?

Post #66177417th Jun 2010 5:34 pm
discos_galore

Genis wrote:
discos_galore, what problems did only the adjustable/shortened rods give you?

I did not trust the way the particular rods i had were made and they did in fact fail. The manufacturer did offer to repair/replace them but i didn't take them up on it.

By just raising the suspension the amount of down travel is lost as it is limited to the original limits of the shockers. I have found since the lift that the suspension still retains it's down travel and will happily creep over uneven terrain with wheels still in contact with it.

That's what i found anyway.
 2005 Disco 3 TDV6 SE - LR Nudge Bar, winch carrier protection plate. Light Guards. Ironman 12000 lb winch. 17" Dynamic Steel D3 rims. Cooper STT's - 265/70-17. ARB CMKA12 compressor. Home made ($30) D3 air off. Traxide SCLR-40 dual battery kit / Optima Yellow Top D34. Home made AUX audio line in. No 'you've forgotten your seatbelt' alarm. Rear power sockets and battery level monitor for 2nd Battery. Safari Snorkel. Toddco 50mm spacers/Air Suspension lift kit + Battle scratches thanks to me.  
Post #66185117th Jun 2010 8:40 pm
roveribis

United States 2008 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Stornoway GreyLR3

I'm very interested in the toddco spacers.... Now, I'm confused on why you had to modify the rods. Could you explain a little more?

Also, where did you purchase them. Directly through their web-site?

What was your experience in delivery time? (I currently have the car jacked up @home doing custom undercarriege skid plates)...

Thanks!

Post #67735128th Jul 2010 3:24 pm
Govette

Australia 

Hey guys, I'm from the dark side (RRSport site) but been listening to this post intently.
Roveribis, I got my toddco kit (rods & spacers) from Lucky8, they were really very helply, and the kit arrived in just over a week from order. Also got a great free DVD of them playing with their Rovers offroad. Can't recommend them enough, and I agree that the kit as a whole is very well made.
Disco-galore, I wonder if you maybe accidently got the RRSport rods as I would imagine they are slightly different, (Sport is, if I'm not mistaken, slightly differently set up suspension hieghts etc).
I haven't actually fitted mine yet, as I am waiting (with baited breath) for GraemeS to finalise his wiggly amp kit thing!!!
GraemeS, If I understand your posts right, your kit will deliver -20 & +30 in each mode? If that is the case, with the 275/65R18 will only only extend 12mm further up into the guards (although obviously front to rear of the tire will be 43mm each end). I'll take 12.5mm off the rim offset too to try to assist clearance. So, that should give 352mm of clearance under the diff in Offroad mode +30. CANT WAIT!!! Can you confirm that DPL will be your Sydney area agent? If so, I'll wait and get him to fit all the toys at once.
Thanks guys, and sorry about jumping in like that.
Gov

Post #67759929th Jul 2010 9:18 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >