Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Lowering from Off-Road to Access Height with foot on brake
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
SN

Lowering from Off-Road to Access Height with foot on brake

Notice something odd for the first time tonight whilst in the queue at McDonalds DriveThru

Rolled up to Window #1 (order and pay) in Off Road height ( Censored off by chav's behind me in a Citroen Saxo lowered to the point their arses were scraping the floor - was trying to suffocate them with my exhaust pipes blowing at their face level Mr. Green )

Then proceeded to lower down thru Normal Height to Access Height to partake in the transaction with the spotty urk behind the window. Height slight groans and when I took my foot off the brake the car appeared to lurch down another inch or so Confused

I'm assuming this had something to do with something underneath being stressed by the inability to roll slightly - was just after a more technical explanation Confused

Anyone care to comment?
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #24444113th Jan 2008 7:13 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

Mine does that, it is almost like transmission wind up in the old days of 4x4 without centre diff.

Either both of ours our broken or it is meant to do it.

Post #24444313th Jan 2008 7:15 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I think you were just 'stressing' it. As you say, your were not allowing the wheels to move while the suspension settled. Same on mine when I've done it. Groans sometimes too.

Post #24445013th Jan 2008 7:26 pm
robsmith

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Shame they didn't park up, then you could have parked on top of them and given them the joy of seeing what a real set of big tyres looks like.
Trouble would then have been if yours had decided to sit down, its a bit of an escape trick to scrape them off the underside withoutt getting too much of their paint off Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Post #24456513th Jan 2008 9:57 pm
freebie2disco

United Kingdom 

Yep mine has always done that from new. I always assumed that it was something in the suspension geometry that changes and causes it.

Post #24458613th Jan 2008 10:37 pm
CG

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Does every one else when the low or high level is selected go down front first then the back, rather than level?

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant" 

Post #24462314th Jan 2008 12:06 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Jimbob Squarepants

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Yep!
 Too much intellectual firepower can damage your common sense.  
Post #24462714th Jan 2008 12:08 am
freebie2disco

United Kingdom 

yep

Post #24466214th Jan 2008 2:51 am
WillMyth

Ireland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Lugano TealDiscovery 3

yep

Post #24466714th Jan 2008 3:51 am
garryc

Australia 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
Re: Lowering from Off-Road to Access Height with foot on bra

SN wrote:
Notice something odd for the first time tonight whilst in the queue at McDonalds DriveThru

Rolled up to Window #1 (order and pay) in Off Road height ( Censored off by chav's behind me in a Citroen Saxo lowered to the point their arses were scraping the floor - was trying to suffocate them with my exhaust pipes blowing at their face level Mr. Green )

Then proceeded to lower down thru Normal Height to Access Height to partake in the transaction with the spotty urk behind the window. Height slight groans and when I took my foot off the brake the car appeared to lurch down another inch or so Confused

I'm assuming this had something to do with something underneath being stressed by the inability to roll slightly - was just after a more technical explanation Confused

Anyone care to comment?

You eat Maccas Shocked Hilux drivers food Very Happy and OH! mine groans sometimes when lowering 8)
 2013 D4, E-diff, Vision pack

Never propose to a Yak 

Post #24467114th Jan 2008 6:08 am
DiscoStu

England 

Yep, mine too. Always has.

Something I've not noticed until recently is that my dipped beams flicker when I adjust the height Confused

Low battery?
 Disco 5 HSE Lux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peyiqaJrmMU 

Post #24468614th Jan 2008 8:00 am
bobbycrispbox

Australia 

Quote:
when I took my foot off the brake the car appeared to lurch down another inch or so

I'd always just assumed that this was because the air suspension rams pointed slightly towards the centre of the vehicle (i.e. the rear ones point slightly forward and the front ones point slightly backwards). When you lower the suspension, you lengthen the wheel base. If you do it with the brakes on, you stretch the chassis.

Post #24469714th Jan 2008 8:52 am
bobbycrispbox

Australia 

bobbycrispbox wrote:
the front ones point slightly backwards

Confused I'm already doubting myself on this point

Post #24470214th Jan 2008 9:02 am
SN

It may be to do with the timing of the Front/Back - because they don't go at the same time, the wheelbase will lengthen/shorten during the process but ultimately end up the same at the end. Neutral
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #24470414th Jan 2008 9:08 am
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

Right

When the suspension is raised the track or the distance from left to right wheels decrease. When lowered it increases. The track difference between Off Road and Access is about 30 - 35mm. It wont fully raise or lower until you allow the track to change. So by allowing the car to roll when you release the brake the suspension can 'settle' into the setting/height selected. Or if you are on a slippy surface the tyres will slide sideways.

Think of it as standing with your feet together then with your feet 2ft apart you will be even shorter.
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #24475114th Jan 2008 11:03 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >