DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Lower steering column help
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

We spend £10k a month with Britpart

We have sent back £250 of warranty items in almost 2 years

I fully agree that sometimes its worth spending a little more and buying a genuine part, but mostly, we have very little issues with Britpart stuff
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #21659696th Aug 2020 7:56 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Motolab

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

pagoda wrote:
If you're getting poor service from a sponsor then it's something perhaps that should be raised with the mods, as poor service to one customer is probably not a one off. I, for one, would like to know that the site sponsors offer good customer service to forum members.

ahumm... getting poor service, or experience poor service.... different things...

"we" do not know the whole story..... so before nailing a trading company to the wall, or even "hang" them... i think reactions should be more carefull...

we can always think in "customers rights" but how about the rights of company's.... yes i know there are cowboys around but believe me, there are also "customers" arround.... Shocked

i have expliciet no opinion about his case, i just want to say, be carefull in what we write, here... internet is "forever" so potential damage also..
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #21659926th Aug 2020 10:02 am
Nc1989

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

To add a bit of balance - the supplier in question has always been great regarding sales, I’ve always had orders arrive on time and never had any issues. The first two warranty replacements were carried out with minimal fuss but come the third time the gent I was speaking to immediately started going off on one with his voice raised. A refund was offered but I don’t have time for yet another 40 mile round trip or the attitude.

Its taken in total 5 steering columns to resolve the original issue, as you can imagine I am keen to put the whole thing behind me.

Post #21660226th Aug 2020 12:21 pm
Lrstaylor

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

Jumping on this old post iv just replaced my lower steering uj with 1 from site sponsors it wasn't cheap so I didn't expect it to be chinease made.
Not only is my steering wheel well out after installing it throwing up all sorts of issues the free play is very very bad.

It's like this when I drive down ghe Road but perfectly straight on the driveway with wheels dead straight.

My old uj seems to be ok but I bought a new 1 so fitted it the old 1 is going back on tomorrow iv been looking for a slight notchy feeling in my steering I couldn't say if the new 1 has cured it because its sooooo bad.

I read loads on here regarding after market ujs causing issues after I fitted this 1 I thought I did something wrong but it's a simple repair and the ends are keyed so you cant fit it wrong and the steering wheel was tied off so it couldn't move.

I will report back once iv fitted the old steering arm hopefully tomorrow weather dependant.

Last edited by Lrstaylor on 2nd Jan 2023 6:19 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #23209752nd Jan 2023 5:59 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Anything other than non-genuine are utter Censored

I've tried a few, but between the steering being out and play in the sliding joint, genuine is all I'll fit now Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #23209772nd Jan 2023 6:12 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Lrstaylor

Thanks Mikey for your fast response I was worried I did something wrong but couldn't for the life of me see how. This part wasn't cheap either at £150 delivered iv now looked up genuine and the seem to be around £250ish.

The old uj seems ok and I all most didn't pull the arm off once I released the uj from the rack end.

It's going back on tomorrow as its genuin prob original and has all the landrover markings.

Thanks once again
Thumbs Up

Post #23209782nd Jan 2023 6:18 pm
Motolab

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Lrstaylor wrote:
iv been looking for a slight notchy feeling in my steering

I had that too.. hanged the UJ, no difference….
A month ago, i decided to change the complete power steering rack, now the issue is solved…
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #23209872nd Jan 2023 7:25 pm
Lrstaylor

Thanks Harold, I'm hoping it's not my rack it's actually on my RRS supercharged it has ace and all sorts. Let's see if it realign when I refit the original.

Post #23209972nd Jan 2023 8:47 pm
Bubblehead

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Scotia GreyDiscovery 3

I was literally going to look into doing this job this week, my steering has become very vague, a fair bit of wonder and a bit of free play in the wheel.
I have also done a fair bit of reading, including this old thread that has just been re-started.
It ‘seems’ to be a fairly straightforward job, but, as always the chance is always there of encountering problems along the way.
Could I confirm, that it needs to be Genuine to avoid quality issues?
 2005 Disco3 HSE Auto 😁  
Post #23209992nd Jan 2023 9:24 pm
Lrstaylor

I think it's fair to say you need a genuine part, disco mikey confirmed in his reply.

This repair is actually on my rrs s/c so not a lot of room under there compared to the discovery iv had a look under our d3 both of them there is a bit more room as no ace pipe work getting in the way.
Duckworths seem to have genuine parts but please confirm before ordering.

I bought from another site sponsor I DID NOT confirm if the part was genuine, what's annoying is this is the 2nd chinease part iv been supplied at a premium price thats failed so I won't be buying from them again.

Let's see how I get on getting refunds.

Post #23210022nd Jan 2023 9:36 pm
Lrstaylor

Right then final report on this, iv refitted my old lower steering column and im happy to report all is back to normal so as disco Mike says only fit a genuine part.

Just to kick me in the nads the new to me D3 v8 threw a wobbly steering angle sensor fault.
Iv reset it a couple of times thought it fixed but no I park it pack on the driveway after sorting the lowercarm on the otherc1 and it faults on me again

Something else to sort out in the week

Post #23210983rd Jan 2023 4:00 pm
Nc1989

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Figured I’d pop back in as I was the OP. Fitted a genuine column from LR dealer and I’ve now done around 60k since and it’s still spot on. I actually adjusted the free play in the rack slightly too around this time to take out a tiny bit of slack and that’s still perfect as well.

Genuine all the way, the cheap ones are down right dangerous with the amount of free play they have, you’d have thought any conscientious retailer who actually monitors what they sell wouldn’t bother with them…

Post #23210993rd Jan 2023 4:08 pm
Lrstaylor

Thanks nc, I think your right the sellers must know there crap parts I will email the seller tomorrow site sponsors no less and see what they have to say.
Here is the gap tool screen shot of the v8 I will stat another thread for this or add it to my new to me thread.

Post #23211033rd Jan 2023 4:15 pm
Garwood56

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Just to jump on this. I raised a post on the same matter asking for advice.

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/lower-steer...96740.html

Went Genuine LR and no problems, clunking gone.

Post #23211133rd Jan 2023 5:06 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >