Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
RSAChris

South Africa 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4
Low coolant message solved

OK, some background first.

A few years ago when the D4 was fairly new, I had this issue:
https://www.disco4.com/forum/top-hose-fail...nt+%2Bhose

Due to rural Africa parts availability, we made a quick fix. The pipe was cut at the chafing and a metal pipe inserted and fixed with 2 hose clamps. Bob's your uncle and all was good - pipe was still pushing on the acoustic cover, but this was no concern - metal is harder than plastic, I suppose.

So, 3 weeks ago, I got the dreaded Coolant Low message. Stopped at the filling station and could not find a leak but it needed about 2 liters of coolant - again, rural Africa does not have the correct fluids available, so I just added water.

The coolant low messages now stayed on, although the level was at the full mark in the bottle.

I still had 200Km to drive home. After 150Km, I checked again and found another 2 liter has disappeared. Filled up with water and drove home.

So, the investigations started... the top hose sprung another leak - tiny as a pin, but just enough to loose water and not leave a wet stain on the warm engine.

I got a new hose and 1 liter of coolant concentrate. Replaced the top hose - that is now clear of any places that can rub against it.

Filled the water bottle with coolant concentrate and the Coolant Low message disappeared... Yeah!!

BUT

After about 10Km the message showed up again.... the coolant bottle was still full... so I did some more digging...

This site and the Australian site suggested to change the water bottle as the coolant float inside gets perished and no longer floats....

Then I saw this:

And it made me think... I added plain water - 5 liters of it more or less.

So, I got another 2 liters of coolant concentrate at LR. I drained 1 liter out from the coolant bottle and replaced it with coolant concentrate - this time it had no messages for about half an hour before it came on again.

I had to do a round trip of 120Km the following day and thought that the trip would equalize/mix the coolant mixture thoroughly.

Strangely the message disappeared when the car was cold, but as soon as it warms up the message came on again. I opened the cab heater as well - it is OK, as it is Winter now in RSA.

After the round trip I drained another liter from the coolant tank and replaced it with coolant concentrate again.

Well, all is well now and after 500km, still no messages!

So, I would suggest that, before replacing the bottle, one should first do a coolant concentration test - simple testers can be obtained, but I just replaced the old mix with fresh concentrate until the message stopped.

I hope this help someone out there.
 Proud owner of an IIDTool
2010 Disco 4 TDV6 SE
R2D3 the 2007 Disco 3 TDV6 SE... gone now
Romulus [Defender 110 CSW Td5] will always be missed
Rofty [Defender 110 CSW Td5] first Td5 and start of motor electronics...
www.flickr.com/photos/the_steyns 

Post #195611822nd Jun 2018 11:51 am
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Thats actually quite interestingWe sometines get it on the trucks at work where the float jams in the header tank and a whole new tank is needed.

Have to say on your metal rubiing plastic, plastic is funny old stuff and Ive seen nylon pipe rub through steel brackets.
Another one is the plastic covered hand brake cables rubbing throught the stainless cable guides on the rear lower arms.

Post #195618222nd Jun 2018 4:49 pm
sailormike

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Does anybody know the density of the additive?

If it is greater than 1 (plain water) could it help tired float stay up high enough to stop the warming coming on, just a thought.
 Disco 4
Burstner motorhome
BMW 225e (only 1/2 way to electric) 

Post #195619122nd Jun 2018 5:25 pm
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Just found this ref Density

Water @ 10 c 0.9997 [g/cm³]

Anti freeze Diluted 50 : 50 Antifreeze : Water (% by vol)

@10c 1.0824 [g/cm³]

I tested mine to ensure it was 50/50

Post #195620622nd Jun 2018 6:09 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >