Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D4)

Loud bang and engine dead!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 7 <1234567>
Ted Newman

England 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 4

The car is now back with the dealer but it will be Tuesday before they will even have a look to see what is wrong!

Still at least I get a chance to try the F-Pace 2.0 AWD car Razz
 LR Discovery 4 XS pulling an Airstream 532 Caravan also own (since new) a 1996 MGF  
Post #20984818th Nov 2019 8:06 pm
knwatkins

United Kingdom 

Washwipe wrote:
It was brought up in November’s Caravan Club Mag, the more publicity it gets can only help.

Not for used prices though Wink
 Kev

MY2014 L405 RR Vogue SE 4.4 SDV8 in Corris Grey
MY2010 L320 RRS HSE 3.0 TDV6 in Stornoway Grey 

Post #20985068th Nov 2019 10:30 pm
Littlewill

England 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

Really sorry to hear this.. Surely JLR have to do something about this.. Big Cry

Post #20985459th Nov 2019 10:50 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Because peeps still buy their cars they prob feel they don’t have to do anything. Plenty of “once bitten, twice shy” ex-owners on here but more than made up for by new customers who haven’t experienced the roller coaster ride that is (well was for me) LR ownership. JLR will continue to hide behind looking at every blown engine on a case by case basis until it all goes away. Thumbs Up

Last edited by DSL on 9th Nov 2019 12:55 pm. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #20985529th Nov 2019 11:24 am
MikeO

Scotland 

Our next door neighbours have an F Pace which I presume is a 2.0d. Engine went last week. It was bought approved used but fortunately is still under the 3yr manufacturer warranty. £15k for a new engine fitted according to them. Luckily paid for by warranty and they have an Evoque for a week...
 2016 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate
<gone>2009 FF Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue</gone>
<gone>2015 BMW 520D SE (not my favourite car)</gone>
<gone>2009 D3 HSE Galway Green</gone 

Post #20985619th Nov 2019 12:14 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 
Re: Loud bang and engine dead!

Ted Newman wrote:
Cruising down the A21 yesterday - 65 - 70 mph - when suddenly a loud bang, a judder and engine is dead, fortunately I was able to get to the side of the Pembury slip road before running out of momentum.

AA and police attended and was towed to a safe position in a nearby Tesco car park, AA/Land Rover Assistance declared engine seized solid!! Now awaiting LR Assistance to collect car - it is a MY11 XS on extended LR warranty with only 42000 miles on clock - we have had the car since new, also awaiting hire car as we are in the middle of no where south of Battle in Crowhurst Park -- let's see what happens and if the extended warranty was worth its cost!

Are you away in the caravan? And are you stranded with the caravan if you are away
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #20985869th Nov 2019 1:59 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Littlewill wrote:
Really sorry to hear this.. Surely JLR have to do something about this.. Big Cry

They hopefully will in this case, but the next 20 or so claims will be ignored Censored

I am still intrigued by what is causing it, cruising at 60-70mph there is virtually no load on the engine or crank, it is also snapping consistently on the end of the crack that is under least torque, surely if it was caused by torque stress it would snap under hard acceleration probably in 3rd or 4th gear and on the flywheel end, take the D3 gear box and the TC judder is always first occurs in 2nd gear at around 2000rpm when torque load is at its highest, never ever when you are cruising at 70mph.
In the 1970/80s when F1 cars where not as reliable as they are now and engine/transmission failures where common 95% of the failures occurred when max revs had been reached and the diver eased off power, which research showed it was always in the power on to power off point (twisting action) stage that engine or transmission failed, this just does not seem to be the case with the TDV6 engine.
My theory is and will be until I am proven wrong that it is the injector system that is causing the problem by injecting fuel into one cylinder before it has reached TDC (top dead centre), which is equivalent or worse to having water in the cylinder and we all know what that does.
If every other module can have software failures caused by static electric and needing a hard reset to clear it why can’t the ECU and the result is an injector firing at the wrong time.
The question I ask myself, is it worthwhile periodically doing a hard reset?
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #20985879th Nov 2019 2:03 pm
Ted Newman

Russell wrote:
Ted Newman wrote:
Cruising down the A21 yesterday - 65 - 70 mph - when suddenly a loud bang, a judder and engine is dead, fortunately I was able to get to the side of the Pembury slip road before running out of momentum.

AA and police attended and was towed to a safe position in a nearby Tesco car park, AA/Land Rover Assistance declared engine seized solid!! Now awaiting LR Assistance to collect car - it is a MY11 XS on extended LR warranty with only 42000 miles on clock - we have had the car since new, also awaiting hire car as we are in the middle of no where south of Battle in Crowhurst Park -- let's see what happens and if the extended warranty was worth its cost!

Are you away in the caravan? And are you stranded with the caravan if you are away

No was running solo going to our lodge in Crowhurst Park by Battle. Car has now been recovered by LR Assistance to our Dealer - Beadles of Sidcup. Have a F Pace as a hire car until Wednesday.
 LR Discovery 4 XS pulling an Airstream 532 Caravan also own (since new) a 1996 MGF  
Post #20985969th Nov 2019 3:11 pm
kajtzu

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

DSL wrote:
Because peeps still buy their cars they prob feel they don’t have to do anything. Plenty of “once bitten, twice shy” ex-owners on here but more than made up for by new customers who haven’t experienced the roller coaster ride that is (well was for me) LR ownership. JLR will continue to hide behind looking at every blown engine on a case by case basis until it all goes away. Thumbs Up

It isn’t going away... the ingeniums are far from perfect Whistle

Post #20986259th Nov 2019 6:32 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Otherwise known as the K-series mk2? Whistle Whistle

Post #209871210th Nov 2019 2:39 am
Russell

United Kingdom 

Ted Newman wrote:
Russell wrote:
Ted Newman wrote:

No was running solo going to our lodge in Crowhurst Park by Battle. Car has now been recovered by LR Assistance to our Dealer - Beadles of Sidcup. Have a F Pace as a hire car until Wednesday.

At least you didn't have van on back and the dealer should support your claim
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #209871710th Nov 2019 7:58 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Ted Newman

The dealer has the car and they will report to me on Tuesday or Wednesday - so far not much said except that the hire car supplied LR Assistance is my responsibility and not the dealers so on Wednesday when the hire expires I have an expensive F-Pace!
Post #209873710th Nov 2019 11:42 am
Someone-Gone

United Kingdom 

Yeah, I did know that under the T&C of the LR warranty. Its a pity.

Post #209873910th Nov 2019 11:48 am
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

The dealer should provide you with a loan car. Especially as they’ve had 7 days notice that you’ll need one.
 2006 D3 HSE (Original & still the best)-GONE
2010 D4 HSE (A bit bling)-GONE
2014 D4 HSE (Almost too bling)-GONE
2015 D4 HSE (A heated what?)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Written Off)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Surely the last!) PD1881 rims-GONE
2017 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography 

Post #209874210th Nov 2019 12:06 pm
Someone-Gone

United Kingdom 

Unfortunately, there’s no reason why they should tbh.

I had the same problem a few years back, got a car for 7 days and and they were chasing me up on day 6 to return it, it was a case of hard luck and there’s a car rental company down the road.

I got onto LRCS and asked the dealership to reconsider, but there was no latitude.

A warranty is a business, they ain’t gonna fork out more than they are legally obliged to.

Post #209874610th Nov 2019 12:16 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 7 <1234567>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >