Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Faults & Fixes (D3)

[Mechanical] Loss of power in TDV6
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 6 <123456>
Chicken Duck

Vatican 

@ marksc. What stealer was it mate? Edit sorry never mind psot was from 2008 Embarassed

Post #60930224th Feb 2010 1:11 pm
JR

South Africa 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

I've experienced the same problem and after several visits to the dealer, I've been told I'm in for a new turbo at £2575.48 incl vat, fitted Big Cry

At this point I’m days away from buying a D4 TDV6 3.0 SE, and opposed to fixing the D3, I’d rather plough the cost of the turbo repair, into the D4.

BUT - having read the D4 thread titled ‘Faults & Fixes’, yesterday, I’m now not so sure the D4 is the way to go Confused – and am seriously considering living with the D3 turbo issue until the Jap’s produce something half decent.
 It seems, that the older I get, the faster I was...!  
Post #64259429th Apr 2010 6:07 am
grizzlymac

Scotland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Montalcino RedDiscovery 4
Loss of power

Had occasional loss of power when accelerating moderately and limp home mode when booting it to overtake. When going to limp home mode got loss of TC as well. Often just a bonging say engine system fault that cleared as soon as it came up but in limp home mode engine had to be restarted to clear. Into the dealers in Stirling and they said it was a sticky rod to the variable vanes on the TC sticking. Freed it off and no problem. been two months now and all is well.
Interestingly when fault kept re-occuring fuel consumption was around about the 31/32MPG but in usual usage I manage 27MPG and now about 26MPG seems to be the best. Always think fuel consumption is a bit high as I don't boot it for that reason but never seems to improve. Had an ERG valve changed a couple of years ago and initially it was nearly 30MPG but soon dropped back to the 27MPG.

Mac.

Post #6435761st May 2010 12:26 pm
DCBINGBING

Hong Kong 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 3
Re: system failure - special programs not available

tfloyd wrote:
I had this warning on my "almost out of warranty" 2007 TD3 three times in the past month or so. When it happens, the car is incapable of accelerating or increasing speed. The last time it happened, I noticed that the dial that alters the program mode, which is usually set on road use and is normally lit yellow, was not lit at all. Temperature was okay (at least 10 degs - I live in HK), dry and car not being at all laboured on a normal road, and in road use mode.

Like any computer run toy, I can turn the power/ignition off, then on, and the problem is resolved (until the next time).

Land Rover (Hong Kong, where I live) said last week there is nothing wrong. I have however sent the TD3 back to them again with 5 days warranty to go, and I want them to find a problem.

Hi Tfloyd,
Can share your result of this problem from LR Hong Kong? Eager to know about it since this problem happened to me once last week. And unfortunately, mine was out of warranty already, 2006 Disco3. Thanks in advance.

Post #64817312th May 2010 3:12 pm
DCBINGBING

Hong Kong 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 3

ronp wrote:
In my experience, lack of power cannot be put down to just one issue.
If something goes wrong the engine goes into 'limp home' mode to prevent damage to it.
Thus, power loss.
I've had it with turbo failure and with extreme coolant loss.
You may also get an accompanying message on the dash.
Best bet is get it to a dealer and let them plug it in to see what faults are recorded.

Oh, and welcome to the site.
Thumbs Up

Totally agree with you. My car went into "safe mode" twice, and with "engine system fault" message on the dash each time. I went to the dealer today and they showed me the ECU report result after checking my car. The fault was regarding oil pressure sensor/adnormal ( I don't remember the exact wordings ). Finally, they replaced only the fuel filter element and erase the fault code. So far no problem occur yet.

Post #65040018th May 2010 12:41 pm
Namlandy

Namibia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 3
No power

I want help again. My 2006 tdv6 lost all its power and there is black smoke if I accelerate. I replaced all filters and clean all sensors. I want to have a look at turbo valve today, is that all thats left?

Post #73878030th Dec 2010 7:06 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
anglefire

England 

Could be intercooler hose split. Or EGR valves
 Mark.
2006, D3 SE Auto - gone but not forgotten.
2014 BMW 530d M Sport Tourer.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Post #73880830th Dec 2010 8:51 am
Namlandy

No power

Had a look at all the hoses, all in order. Can you tell me where to look for the EGR valves. Almost feel like the engine do not get enough air.

Post #73897730th Dec 2010 4:17 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
anglefire

England 

EGR Valves are under the engine cover - but it is hard to work out if they are knackered or not. If you don't get a sudden power boost at about 2000 revs, then they are probably "ok".

The hoses may look ok on the outside, but can de laminate internally and give the exact symptoms you describe.
 Mark.
2006, D3 SE Auto - gone but not forgotten.
2014 BMW 530d M Sport Tourer.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Post #73932031st Dec 2010 9:38 am
Namlandy

Thank you for the tips. I will have a look at the pipes after I remove them. I also will remove the EGR valve and see what it look like. Hope I can fix this.

Post #7397891st Jan 2011 4:14 pm
Discoeast

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Namlandy, this should help

Click image to enlarge
 D3 bullbar-spots-roof rack with spots-ladder-long range tank-swing out spare wheel carrier- upgraded tow bar-dash console-internal water tank-duel awnings-drawer system & T T.  
Post #7400472nd Jan 2011 10:32 am
Namlandy

Thank you for the picture. I removed all pipes and the butter fly.On Monday I will build all parts I need to blank off the holes. Hope this will sort out my problems.

Post #7403712nd Jan 2011 9:48 pm
Namlandy

Thank you, blanked all holes, now better than new.

Post #7417135th Jan 2011 6:06 pm
Disco3leigh

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Hi guys, I know this is an old post but it sounds like I have the same problem with my 2005 D3. I just have one question before I start pulling everything apart and that is what has changed to cause the smoke and loss of power in the first place and by blanking off the EGR ports am I going to cause any other issues... sorry thats actually two questions but I sure you could understand.
 I have become an expert at working on my D3 by necessity not want
2005 TDV6 SE 

Post #7574686th Feb 2011 5:45 pm
scholsio

United Kingdom 

Sounds like good old EGR valve fault

Post #7582187th Feb 2011 9:08 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 6 <123456>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >