Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Loss of power below 1500 rpm - HELP NEEDED
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Goofy

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Loss of power below 1500 rpm - HELP NEEDED

My 57reg D3 has a distinct loss of power below 1500 rpm, then its back to normal above 1500 rpm.

I currently have the orange engine management light on the dashboard and have had the fault codes read as:

P0100 - Mass or volume air flow circuit 36
P115F - Electroniic Control Module Fan Circuit

I've found some wires to the MAF sensor trapped in the air filter housing and released them and I have cleaned my MAP sensor.

The car was running a lot worse before the wires were released and the MAP sensor cleaned, but it's still not right. Also the P115F code won't clear.

I was told that the EGR valves were replaced approx 10K ago and the usual belts and pully's at the same time. The cars done 95.5K (high milage I know but motorway miles and I got it for a cheap price - I even checked the details with the previous owner)

I bought it less than 3 months ago and am trying to persue a fix from the indy dealer I got it from. However I'd rather go to him and point him in the right direction of faults than just give it to him and get palmed off with some sort of excuse.

Anyone had any similar experience with this ???
 Disco 3 TDV6 SE, black, de-badged, blacked out windows, cream leather interior, never seen a dirt track in its life.  
Post #82148429th Jul 2011 10:24 am
bear100

Wales 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

hi goofy i had the same with my disco last year and it turned out to be a faulty mass air flow sensor which cost around £90 but mine didn't show any fault codes, its actually a very very very small piece of wire on a type of resistor which i expect cots about 30p to make. it sits in the air intake tube.

let me know how you get on Thumbs Up

Post #82166329th Jul 2011 9:09 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Ade

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

I'd be interested in what the findings are, as I have exactly the same problem

Nothing up till 1500rpm, then normal running there after. But going up hills and underload with my trailer on takes it under the 1500rpm, and gives me problems

Getting no fault codes, so stealer is struggling to figure out the problem

Post #8221141st Aug 2011 10:38 am
Bushwanderer

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I must confess to being bemused as to why anyone would load the motor below the revs when the turbo is operating.

Keep the revs above 1500.
 The Bearded Dragon  
Post #8223312nd Aug 2011 7:11 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I have experienced this, especially when towing the caravan and a hill is encountered. There is sometimes a reluctance for the gearbox to change down, and the engine seems to bog down. You of course give it some more beans, and it then downshifts and takes off like a rocket!

I think this situation is why they fitted command shift Thumbs Up

The good news is (!) that both of my D3's have done this, in the same situation, so I think its more a bug in the adaptive gearbox programming rather than a fault. Perhaps someone try clearing the adaptive memory with IDS/Autologic/MSV etc?

Post #8223382nd Aug 2011 8:12 am
Ade

Mines a manual box, so shouldn't be getting adaptive gear box software problems?

A hill I used to go up in 3rd gear with the trailer and 2 horses on, I now had to put the box into low range to get up it!

Went into the hill in 3rd as usual, revs dropped below 1500rpm and car bogged. Accelerator completly to floor, but nothing happened, revs were dropping not rising. Changed to 2nd, nothing, 1st, nothing. Had to come to a stop on put into low range

I've had the car 3 years, and never had a problem on that hill. I bought the D3 for its towing capability, but at the moment, anthing other than a flat road, and cruising at speed (i.e. abobe 1500rpm) it couldn't pull the skin of a rice pudding

I might take a chance on a new MAF to see if that helps

Post #8223492nd Aug 2011 9:21 am
character

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

have you had the vehicle plugged in to IDS in the LR workshop or "service man's come out with his laptop" or you've used some other non -LR device?

Reason: IMO unless its actually been plugged in LR workshop, the base model does not always throw up the correct codes and by doing so it will show the date/time/mileage the issues first started. Thumbs Up

over the years I've had numerous faults come up that in the end have been nothing to do with the warning light but simply a knock-on effect from the D3.

Post #8223602nd Aug 2011 9:49 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Ade, do you go off road? Has your intercooler become very blocked?

Have you tried blanking the EGRs just to check. basic blanking Kit is £10 off ebay Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #8223622nd Aug 2011 9:53 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Ade

Bodsy, My D3 has never been off road, it was only bought to tow horses and a track car, other tarmac, the only thing its seen is the occassional flat field with the horses

I've replaced the long intercooler hose, and blanked off the EGR's; both using BAS items

I've also replace the fuel filter and air filter, incase there was any blockage there

Still no better

Post #8224062nd Aug 2011 12:37 pm
sarumlight

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

I had this problem and it was a bad MAF sensor too.

Symptoms were bad fuel consumption because the auto box was having to change down much more going up hills to compensate, and "surging" on acceleration - like driving through a succession of flat spots.

Local dealer couldn't find a fault - no fault codes being logged although they agreed it didn't feel right Banging Head

Spoke with Steve Norman Thumbs Up who suggested disconnecting the plug from the MAF sensor and see whether it drove better. When you do this it falls back to using an approximate value calculated from the engine rpm and throttle position. The difference was a night and day improvement.

Went back to dealer who swapped the MAF sensor (have extended warranty with them or I would have just taken it down to Steve who services it now anyway) and it's been perfect ever since.

Worth a try - you'll know if this is the problem! You may get a fault code / check engine light that'll need clearing after running with the sensor disconnected.

Post #8224432nd Aug 2011 3:07 pm
Ade

My accelerator pedal also fells way to sensitive (if that makes sense)

If you come of the accelerator the whole car jolts, and when try to manoeuvre at low speeds, it’s like a kangaroo

Did you suffer from this?

I'll drop Nick an email to get price and availability on a MAF sensor; and maybe get one to see if it helps

Thanks for the help

Post #8224502nd Aug 2011 3:25 pm
Ade

sarumlight, was it the MAF or MAP sensor you replaced? I think I've confused myself aswell

I think the MAF goes into the air filter box

and the MAP is in the top of the 'Y' housing with the EGR butterfly is

Post #8224652nd Aug 2011 3:48 pm
sarumlight

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

I didn't have any of that, just very down / inconsistent on power and using more fuel.

Personally I wouldn't start spending money on new parts. You can check the MAF sensor by just disconnecting the existing one and going for a test drive. It's easy to spend more swapping parts than a good indy would charge for diagnosing the problem. Is there anyone local to you who gets recommended on here?

David

Post #8224712nd Aug 2011 3:56 pm
Ade

Its been into the dealers, but they dont know whats worng; no error codes Sad

A £100 on a new sensor is a gamble, but if it fixes it, its money well spent

Just to double check, what sensor did you unplug? MAF or MAP?

Post #8224772nd Aug 2011 4:10 pm
Goofy

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I've just been quoted £120 + Government robbery tax (VAT) for a new MAF sensor.

Fingers crossed its that - although I will be unplugging my MAF sensor when I get home tonight and going for a ride to see what that does.

Mind you, the old bus is now doing 30 mpg instead of the old 25. Its just a pity shes very slow to accelerate from a stand still. Makes pulling out on a roundabout with the tin tent very exciting. !!!!
 Disco 3 TDV6 SE, black, de-badged, blacked out windows, cream leather interior, never seen a dirt track in its life.  
Post #8225032nd Aug 2011 5:26 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >