Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

loose drivetrain
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
sijui

Australia 2006 LR3 TDV6 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteLR3
loose drivetrain

I have done 2000 stress free euphric kms in my new disco. I haven't yet tried the towing hitch debacle!

For many years I have been driving manual front wheel drive cars, peugeot 406 sv and renaults' so may be out of touch with the feel of the 4 wheel drive set up, although I did own a 1976 RR in the dark distant past. However, when approaching T junctions or roundabouts or any other situation where you slow down to about walking pace before moving off again at a moderate speed (not flooring the accelerator), there is a sense of looseness in the drivetrain as if the diffs were engaging again as well as a very soft clunk. It is certainly not intrusive or very noticeable and sometimes I have to work hard to make it happen. It happens in both sport mode and D

Are other people experiencing this and is the part of the D3 personality; like the occaisional steering clunk when on bad roads ?

May be its because the car is sooo quiet that you hear all this stuff!

Post #5557530th Apr 2006 3:43 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
angrd020

United States 2005 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Tonga GreenLR3

I too sometimes feel that there is some slack in the drivertrain. Confused Not intrusive enough for me to worry yet.

ALR
 2005 Tonga Green Land Rover LR3(Yes I wheel it!!!)
2002 Shale Green Jeep WranglerX(Yes I wheel it!!!)
1994 Red Jeep Cherokee (Use it as a spare vehicle)

DO IT! DO IT NOW!!! 

Post #5557730th Apr 2006 5:29 am
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

The clunk in the transmission seems to be a normal occurence in the D3 as you have described sijui.

The steering "rattle" is much more noticable when in "off-road" height than at "normal" height.

I think this forum has covered both in the past - try searching.

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #5557830th Apr 2006 5:41 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Mine is the same, if you let the car slow down until the the point that the torque convertor releases the engine from the gearbox (about 12mph), then re-apply throttle before coming to a complete rest, there is a slight thump as things re-engage.

I think I read somewhere that its known as "tip in - tip out" for some reason. Question

I don't think is a problem, just a characteristic.

Post #5558330th Apr 2006 8:29 am
sijui

Australia 2006 LR3 TDV6 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteLR3

thanks Gareth for the reassurance. After reading the following thread there is a valid point about being disengaged from the engine when under about 15mph. I'm sure this could be fixed with a software patch and will ask the LRA people about it

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.ph...tip+tipout

Post #5560130th Apr 2006 12:11 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JAY

England 

I don't think you'll get very far with LR... They determine it as a "characteristic" and depending on who you talk to will say it's due to (a)the transfer box or (b) the diffs or (c) the torque converter or (d) "the way you drive sir.." Having owned LR products with all (a) (b) and (c) before and not having changed my driving style I know it's to do with the software programming. D3 is the best selling 4x4 by some margin and whilst demand remains high there is no impetus to address this type of issue outside of normal development.

I will disclose a lack of impartiality here as I no longer have a D3 as this ongoing issue was the final straw that broke the camel's back, along with a host of repetitive faults (lemon car I'm afraid). Having said that I still believe the D3 is by far the best 4x4, indeed maybe even best mid exec car, and hope to come back once the software patches have addressed all the niggling (and some not so niggling) faults and the quality control on the components has improved.

Post #5567530th Apr 2006 9:30 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >