DISCO3.CO.UK > General

'Lockdown' - Service/MOT done?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

euangibson wrote:
A friend had a broken spring on his 4-year old Discovery Sport
The garage struggled to find a LR parts department/dealer open to order a replacement, and when he did the promised part failed to appear. This was over the last 2 weeks.
He eventually sourced a 2nd hand part from a breakers to get the car on the road in the meantime.
Parts will almost certainly be an issue if anything needs done during the service/MoT, which was my main concern with my potential cracked inlet manifold.
Other might not have problems, my local garage certainly did.

Not struggled to get any parts, but I normally use Britpart or Bearmach. For anything not stocked by them, I had to order them via the Newbridge branch, and I had to collect. Thankfully, only the once Laughing
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #21437825th May 2020 2:01 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Both Volvo and Mercedes locally to me are continuing to offer servicing - we had both cars done last week as I may need to travel to a couple of MOD sites at relatively short notice (key worker letter at the ready), and while the preference is to use my car, if I need to carry a load of kit then I'll be requisitioning the family Volvo.

They each took their own approach to hygiene and isolation. At Mercedes there was a cordoned-off key drop in the entrance to the showroom. The service receptionist was halfway across the showroom well beyond the cordon and we were able to verify a couple of points before I headed home, leaving the car with them.

At Volvo they had a segregated customer waiting area - with seats positioned significantly more than 2m apart.

In both instances they were keen to stress that they were working to strict timetables and that if we were late, we lost our slot. All very clear and fair. Also in both instances the cars were returned with clear evidence of a comprehensive wipe-down of all touch surfaces and use of gloves throughout.
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #21437865th May 2020 2:16 pm
charlietortoise

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 4
MOT

Why bother, all MOTs are being given another 5 months. Its on the DVLA web site.. As to a service, are you clocking miles at the moment, most people wont be especially if your a non essential user.
 Discovery 4 3.0 HSE 2010 year. I like it a lot. Now with winch 😂  
Post #21438885th May 2020 10:43 pm
Jamiehol

United Kingdom 

For me it’s two fold yes there are MOT extensions but I don’t want to get stuck in a few months time when the world and his wife want an MOT in addition my service is due at the same time as the MOT so would like to get it done so I don’t have nasty surprises should I need to use the car in an emergency.

The second and more important reason is I use a very good independent garage who are difficult to get a slot with at the best of times, they have seen a downturn in business at the minute so as well as supporting them by giving them business when they are quiet I can also use it to my advantage and get an appointment when I need one.

Post #21439206th May 2020 7:05 am
plocker

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I have just checked as my MOT should have expired, and it has now moved on 6 months.

Still "roadworthy", that's debatable its a LR.

Rolling with laughter
 05 V8 HSE Bonatti Grey  
Post #21439236th May 2020 7:18 am
SteveKK

Ukraine 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 4

For may people a service or MOT will be the only time their vehicle has any form of check. Therefore I would suggest the number of vehicle in non-roadworthy state is going to increase significantly. I wonder how many advisories from last year haven't been addressed and would not be a failure? However I do feel the 6-month extension is a reasonable measure, as driving allows social distancing when public transport most likely cannot.

I have a car I don't use much with MOT expiring in the next few days, but I would prefer to have a MOT before I used it. A moot point now as it is SORN, but I will try to MOT before I tax it. I would strongly suggest everyone tried to get an MOT if the can, but this may not be possible in every case.

Regards,
Steve

Post #21439526th May 2020 9:28 am
DieselD

2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

The MOT on my D3 comes up later this month and I know about the 6 month extra thing but I also use a very good indy workshop and the owner is a very good friend of mine, as above he has seen a large downturn in trade since lockdown so I am happy for him to service/ mot mine and also to work on my LR 90 to keep him ticking over.
I think when things return to some sort of normal it will be chaos at the mot testing garages with vehicles due for testing plus all the ones taking advantage of 6 months grace and getting a slot when I want one could be an issue.

regards Dave

Post #21441026th May 2020 7:11 pm
gareth71

Wales 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

My D3 and my daughter's car should both be due for MOT this month. I know we'll be entitled to the 6-month extension on both of them - but with the scheme as it stands, six months from now the MOT testing stations will be rushed off their feet. Everyone whose MOT falls due in November anyway will be wanting a test, as well as everyone who should've been done in May but who left it until right at the end of the 6-month extension (which, given the apathy/stupidity of the Great British Public on the whole, will probably be most of them!). So there'll be almost twice as many people wanting to get tests done as there were at the same time last year.

If my usual MOT guy is still working (haven't checked yet) then I'm going to get them done to schedule, as I would imagine he'll be glad of the business.

Post #21442447th May 2020 12:05 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >