DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Lift Height for Body Off
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
Lift Height for Body Off

16 years ago I bought my D3 and 15 years ago joined this forum. Time flies and I can't believe I still have the D3, which is the most enjoyable car I have owned and driven. With more time on my hands I can do more maintenance myself - and really want a two post lift to broaden what I can do. As I am planning to build a car port, now is the time to plan ahead.

Subject to planning, I am looking at a two bay layout, 6mx6m. I want to keep the roof height and pitch as low as possible. Does anyone know the minimum lift of the body that is needed to allow the chassis to roll out?

I am thinking I could measure from chassis fixings to top of engine but is that really enough? I am happy to sacrificed walk under headroom for other jobs and shuffle around on a wheeled chair!

Many thanks in advance.

Barn1e
 2005, TDV6 S, Auto, 190k miles, owned from new, V8 Brake Upgrade, Nancom Evo, RLD protector, BAS EGR blanking & Remap, separate ATF cooler, changing all the fluids ahead of time.  
Post #220400821st Jan 2021 7:18 am
aja4x4

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Try the search function, this was discussed last year.

I would also work out what height would be comfortable for you to work on things like the suspension as this will be higher I would have thought.

Post #220401821st Jan 2021 8:09 am
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

Thank you. I did a search but will try I bit harder. Noted re suspension etc.
 2005, TDV6 S, Auto, 190k miles, owned from new, V8 Brake Upgrade, Nancom Evo, RLD protector, BAS EGR blanking & Remap, separate ATF cooler, changing all the fluids ahead of time.  
Post #220413321st Jan 2021 4:48 pm
darrind

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

There was a post on here about the minimum height to roll the chassis out a few months back, I have been looking to find the same post. Its here https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic188121.html
 Must stop buying shiny toys....  
Post #220414321st Jan 2021 5:17 pm
motorworks

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

I reckon your absolute minimum height would be about 300cm, assuming standard post height of 280cm. That gives you just enough room to lift body and roll chassis out.

If I was going to buy a 2-post lift again, I would opt for more expensive (baseless) version with overhead rail. This avoids the raised step between posts, covering pipes and cables. Minimum height is then around 4.4m
 Chris  
Post #220421921st Jan 2021 8:55 pm
aja4x4

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

4.4m sounds very high

Post #220428022nd Jan 2021 6:26 am
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

Thank you for the link to the previous post and the feedback on lifts.

I have been looking at the Twin Busch 4.2t Garage lift https://twinbusch.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=246 and calculating how much headroom I can get in a garage with an offset ridge. Basically the roof pitch at the front of the garage will be steep and sloping more gently to the rear.

Consequently, I would need roll the chassis out backwards because the back of the Disco needs to be at the front of the garage. When rolling forwards, the front cross-member seems to be the part of the body to clear. Does anyone know if rolling the chassis backwards means i need to lift the body higher?

Edit - Looking at the pictures on Disco Mikey's how to thread (https://disco4.com/forum/body-removal-76002.html?highlight=Body+removal ), it looks like rolling chassis backwards needs much more headroom.

Another thought - for most body off work, could I leave the chassis in position and work on it with the body above. Not ideal but is it an option?
Post #220428322nd Jan 2021 6:58 am
motorworks

I have a D3 on my 2 post lift. Fixed a strap across the posts at 232cm and raised car until roof almost touches, distance from floor to chassis is 65cm.

I will post a pic later.

I only found out after installation that my lift is reversible, by diagonally swapping the arms. Likely same for similar lifts.
 Chris  
Post #220522725th Jan 2021 2:36 pm
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Barn1e wrote:

Does anyone know if rolling the chassis backwards means i need to lift the body higher?

Edit - Looking at the pictures on Disco Mikey's how to thread (https://disco4.com/forum/body-removal-76002.html?highlight=Body+removal ), it looks like rolling chassis backwards needs much more headroom.

Another thought - for most body off work, could I leave the chassis in position and work on it with the body above. Not ideal but is it an option?

As you have already discovered you would indeed need to have the body considerably higher in order to reverse the chassis out. You can mitigate this a little by removing the rad pack, and dropping the chassis as low as possible, but the top of the engine then becomes the next obstacle.

You can indeed leave the chassis in position whilst working on both, and this tends to be my usual method. (easier to realign as well!)
However, this would depend on what you maintenance you intend to carry out and the clearance you might need. The pics below shows the lift at max height with the chassis supported on axel stands slightly above it's normal height if the road wheels were fitted. Thumbs Up

yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #220523825th Jan 2021 3:17 pm
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

Motorworks thank you for reply. What is the significance of reversing the arms? Lifting to 232cm seems much lower than I thought I would need to reach.

PROFSR, I would look to do as many of the jobs on the list for body off. But also use the lift for jobs that would normally require a trolley jack.
Post #220696931st Jan 2021 6:28 pm
motorworks

The Twin Busch 4.2t in your link, has a post height of 232cm. If that is max headroom the lift gives very limited access with high vehicles, certainly not enough clearance for D3 body off.

In your application, reversing the arms offers no benefit. For most installations, drive in and reverse out is preference. This is easier for positioning, and exhaust is directed to open door. I opted for reverse in and lift at back of workshop with exhaust extraction. For longer jobs like body off I prefer this setup.
 Chris  
Post #220698331st Jan 2021 7:07 pm
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

I should be able to lift the Discovery 1m before hitting the roof of the carport. The Discovery will be the largest and longest car I will put on the two post lift. 1m seems to be enough to do most body off jobs and may be enough to roll the chassis out of the way.

I can gain that height by reversing into the carport, leaving part of the front outside and having the lift offset rom the middle of the carport to the front. I am happy with that compromise when working on the Discovery. Other vehicles should have more under cover.
Post #22072561st Feb 2021 8:08 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >