DISCO3.CO.UK > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

Letting the side down...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Mike40

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3
Letting the side down...

Letting the side down...

Had to tow a Freelander stuck in the snow yesterday driven by a total plonker!! 8)

He had been trying to turn left and go up a hill and had failed due to wheel spin and got stuck broadside across the narrow road totally blocking it. He was sat there with the back wheels spinning going nowhere and very quickly annoying the other drivers stuck waiting for him to move. After sitting there for several minutes thinking he might just get his act together it soon became apparent he had no idea what he was doing!! Shocked

I walked up to his window and asked him if he was in 4 wheel drive ‘cos only his back wheels were turning. Not knowing anything about older Freelanders, I wasn’t sure if they had permanent 4 wheel drive. He was a rather large gentleman of ethnic persuasion and he replied.. “Landrovers are sh*t! I thought they went anywhere.” I smiled and said “It’s not the car mate, it’s the person behind the wheel.” “Try engaging whatever that yellow button on the gearlever shaft is....might be the 4 wheel drive selector.” He muttered “Smartarse” So I left him to it and returned to my warm D3.

By this time traffic had backed up behind me so I couldn’t turn around and go back. We all sat there for another 5mins as he sat spinning his wheels going nowhere. He actually got one smoking which I thought was good and wondered if his rear diff might explode!!! Laughing

He eventually got out and came to me to ask for assistance....What was apparent was that none of the car drivers were prepared to offer any help whatsoever even though they were all stuck because of him!! I agreed to tow him out of the way after he grovelled for a few minutes....

Using the pavement I managed to get in front of him pointing up the hill he was originally going up, hooked the tow rope on the Freelander and pulled him up the hill clear of the junction. I jumped out unhooked the rope and jumped back in the D3. He got out of his car and shouted to me “You can’t leave me here, tow me up the f**king hill.” I replied “I have a better idea, you stand there and watch a smartarse drive a Sh*t Landrover up a hill!!” Mr. Green

I wonder if he is still there......was I too mean??? Whistle
 ------------------------------
"Ruby" Rimini Red
Rimini Red 06MY TDV6 S
Xenons, Bright Pack, Climate Pack,
BAS Magic Box and Remap
ITG Air Filter
ERG's Blanked (Woody32)
Huge Permagrin

Suzuki GSX1400, Triumph Daytona 1200, Yamaha RD500LC, Norton 850 Commando, MV Agusta 1090 Brutale, Honda Hornet 900, Honda 600 Tansalp, Matchless 750, AJS 650CSR......plus very understanding wife! 

Post #5759597th Jan 2010 2:10 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Spot on Mike Thumbs Up
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #5759617th Jan 2010 2:12 pm
al cope

England 

nice one Mike - what a prat, although I thought all Freelys were permanant 4WD as well.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #5759727th Jan 2010 2:20 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

They are permanent 4 wheel drive. I bet his tyres were Censored as well as not knowing what he was doing. The yellow collar round the gearstick is HDC, so would not have helped him at all.

I would have towed him further away Down the hill after his polite request to be towed to the top.

Post #5759827th Jan 2010 2:38 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Here he is again Shocked Laughing

21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #5759857th Jan 2010 2:42 pm
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter not at all mean, you taught him an important lesson or two! Now he knows his car is less of a knob than he is, and that criticising a landrover lovers car is the ultimate stupidity.
It is after all our symbiotic relationship with our cars that makes them damned near unstoppable Mr. Green
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #5759917th Jan 2010 2:52 pm
DrLex

Iceland 
Re: Letting the side down...

Mike40 wrote:
[...]
“You can’t leave me here, tow me up the f**king hill.”
[...]

Guaranteed to make you reconsider and assist further. Rolling Eyes
 Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Post #5759987th Jan 2010 2:57 pm
tanters

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

excellent Laughing
 A happy childhood ... is the worst possible preparation for life.  
Post #5760037th Jan 2010 3:01 pm
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

simon wrote:
I bet his tyres were Censored as well...

I've seen way too much of this recently. If there's not enough tread to pick up any snow then chances are you may as well be on slicks. I've seen lots of people with illegal tyres this winter, more than usual, perhaps a money saving step too far in the recession?
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #5760047th Jan 2010 3:01 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Good job Mike!! Thumbs Up

Post #5760067th Jan 2010 3:02 pm
jkp

Scotland 

stunning Rolling with laughter Thumbs Up

I offered a merc a tug on the M8 a couple of weeks back, but as I started to offer he gave me the five finger shuffle sign as I pulled alongside him so informed him what i was going to do and suggested he may be staying where he is for a little while yet, as I eased up the incline and away to an empty motorway ahead of the jams.

Post #5761137th Jan 2010 5:35 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MikeT

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Excellent! Bow down

Post #5761217th Jan 2010 5:42 pm
Mike40

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Have a feeling there was maybe something wrong with the Freelander if it was permanent 4 wheel drive, as it looked like there was no drive at all to the front wheels. Rolling Eyes

Not feeling guilty as he should have kept it maintained... Very Happy
 ------------------------------
"Ruby" Rimini Red
Rimini Red 06MY TDV6 S
Xenons, Bright Pack, Climate Pack,
BAS Magic Box and Remap
ITG Air Filter
ERG's Blanked (Woody32)
Huge Permagrin

Suzuki GSX1400, Triumph Daytona 1200, Yamaha RD500LC, Norton 850 Commando, MV Agusta 1090 Brutale, Honda Hornet 900, Honda 600 Tansalp, Matchless 750, AJS 650CSR......plus very understanding wife! 

Post #5762257th Jan 2010 7:47 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Nice one for dumping him at the road side Laughing And glad he wasn't a knob of a FL2 driver

I have seen a item on eBay that converts a FL1 into a 2 wheel drive car for better economy, blanks off the diff I think

but then watching the you tube video there is a point when the rears are only spinning too,

If you want a car that crap off road, try my brothers Volvo xc60 Ecodrive ,2 wheel drive version, just been comparing in a snow covered flat carpark and it couldnt get grip at all, my wifes punto is better Shocked

Post #5762377th Jan 2010 8:13 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >