Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

LED lighting
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Icemac

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
LED lighting

I'm sure this has been asked many times before but I can't seem to find a definite answer in previous posts!
I would like to replace the front side light bulbs with an LED bulb. I have replaced most of the interior bulbs with 501LED5XPW 1.5 watts from HIDS4U and would like to use these in the front side lights to try and keep them all the same. Can these be used or will I have to use a can bus type unit to avoid any problems with fault messages appearing? Rather than take the grille off and the light unit out and try one of my interior bulbs in and then discover they will not be suitable, I thought someone on the forum may have the answer so I can order the correct replacements. Thank you. Neutral

Post #117607022nd Oct 2013 5:54 pm
Icemac

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Oops should have posted this in the D4 section ....... sorry not concentrating.

Post #117607322nd Oct 2013 6:00 pm
crwoody

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

You'll be fine with those, there are no can bus issues with the sidelights, Thumbs Up the only ones to give problems are the indicators where the bulb current is monitored to give a lamp-out warning, in any case easily remedied by adding resistors in parallel.
 Clive

Post #117607822nd Oct 2013 6:03 pm
Icemac

Many thanks Clive for your quick reply Thumbs Up will get them ordered and fitted. I presume the D3 & D4 are the same in that regard. Icemac

Post #117609022nd Oct 2013 6:15 pm
crwoody

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I'm 99% sure the D4 is the same as D3 in that respect, it might just be worth trying one of your interior bulbs in the sidelight anyway though, just to be sure that the spread of light is suitable for the purpose and sufficiently visible, the LEDs are much more directional in terms of light output than a regular bulb, they're probably OK if they are multiple LED bulbs but the single LED ones are not so good.
 Clive

Post #117612322nd Oct 2013 6:54 pm
Icemac

Thanks for all the information Clive as you can guess I am no auto electrician and appreciate your informative reply. Will try one of the interior LEDs in at the weekend as you say just to be sure. They have from memory about 5 LEDs on them and give a bright and much better spread of light in the car - night and day compared to the original 5w bulbs.
Regards Icemac

Post #117613022nd Oct 2013 7:06 pm
harvey6480

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

I have just done same, lights in and out in 10 mins! easy. Open bonnett, remove grill, pop light out, undo securing mech with 4 x screws, remove cover, change bulb, reasemble etc.....
10 mins tops!

Post #117710924th Oct 2013 6:55 pm
Icemac

I am just waiting on delivery of my LED units from HIDS4U and then I'll get them fitted.
I can't believe how dim the sidelights are on the D4! It certainly has made a big improvement changing the interior lights. 8)

Post #117714324th Oct 2013 7:28 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >