Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

LED Bulbs
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Mactwo

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
LED Bulbs

Having read some of the forums about led bulbs I decided to go ahead and order some from ultraleds. I have replaced my front side lights and my number plate lights which look great and thought I would try the stop & tail lights. I decided to order 1 bulbs (U38020R) to see how it looked and compared to the standard ones before I took the plunge of ordering the rest.

Here's my problem....when I pulled the rear light cluster out and replaced one of the standard bulbs with the led S & T to compare as soon as I turned my lights on it completely killed my radio reception!! I also tried the bulb in the lower just tail but the same problem. I have spoken to Ultraleds who tell me the bulbs are guaranteed not to do this and cant see why I would have this problem but are going to send me a replacement bulb just in case it is faulty.

Has anyone had this problem or have any suggestions or explanations as to why this would happen??

Thanks

I have now had a reply from Ultraleds:

"Hi the bulb is not faulty- there is nothing in the bulb that could
interfere- and we would know by now having sold thousands if there was a
problem. However please feel free to follow the returns details below for a
refund"

Help please Question Question Question

Post #2537591st Feb 2008 4:23 pm
CFB

United Kingdom 

Very odd, not heard of this before. Did the reception improve when you put the normal bulb back or could you have disturbed the antenna connection behind the rear side trim somehow?
 2020 BMW X1 18d XDrive X-Line Auto  
Post #2538021st Feb 2008 5:40 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
gilmore

England 

Remember: Swap back your sidelights if you go for an MOT otherwise you'll fail 'cos they're the "wrong colour".

Anyone want my LEDs?

regs
rob
 All opinions expressed in this posting are my own and are not necessarily those of someone who knows what they are talking about.

Land Rover Defender V8, 50th Anniversary Edition
Mercedes ML350CDI
HM Moto CRE300X
Honda CRF250X
1974 Honda CB750K4
1975 Honda CB750K5
Ford Transit Custom (for the bikes) 

Post #2538141st Feb 2008 6:25 pm
Mactwo

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

The reception returned to normal the moment I put the normal bulb back in. I suppose I could have disturbed it somehow. I didn't totally refit the light when I put the bulb in but I tried it in the stop and tail and just the tail and did the same in both and as I say straight back to normal when I put the original bulb back in!

Thanks for the advice on the sidelights. Does that apply to the number plate and stop & tail lights if I get them working without killing the radio? Although I wont be going for an MOT for almost 3 years Smile

Post #2538641st Feb 2008 8:10 pm
philhunt

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
LEDS

gilmorr wrote:
Remember: Swap back your sidelights if you go for an MOT otherwise you'll fail 'cos they're the "wrong colour".

rob

Why ???????????

I have ULTRALEDS white mini light towers in my front sidelights and numberplate lamps, as do many others on here.

Post #2542903rd Feb 2008 12:32 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
gilmore

England 
Re: LEDS

philhunt wrote:
gilmorr wrote:

rob

Why ???????????

I have ULTRALEDS white mini light towers in my front sidelights and numberplate lamps, as do many others on here.

Mine were ULTRALEDS white mini light towers in my sidelights as well. I took it to Sturgess main LR dealer for a three year service and MOT. They initially failed it on the grounds that they were "the wrong colour", replaced them with standard sidelights they passed it on the same-day-retest. In fairness the ultraleds do produce a whiter, almost blue-ey light. Maybe the MOT are clamping down on chavs with blue LEDs in their Saxo's.

Ho Hum.
 All opinions expressed in this posting are my own and are not necessarily those of someone who knows what they are talking about.

Mercedes ML350CDI
HM Moto CRE300X
Honda CRF250X
1974 Honda CB750K4
1975 Honda CB750K5

Post #2543003rd Feb 2008 1:07 am
robsmith

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Or maybe the Stealer wanted to sell a few more bulbs Shocked
 Rob Smith
Silver rools OK

Post #2543203rd Feb 2008 8:45 am
philhunt

LEDS

If you had fitted blue LEDS it would be an MOT failure but white? Still can't believe what happened to you.

Xenon headlamp bulbs give off a bluey white light as do many of the higher performance EU marked standard headlamp bulbs. Many of the standard wedge 501's marketed by the household names in bulb manufacturing are coated in a blue colour to produce a bluey white light similar to HIDs. I actually have these on my D1 which recently passed an MOT and they do look quite blue whereas my Ultraleds look white.

I've started a thread asking for advice on this on the Discovery Owners' Club forum where I know many MOT tester members regularly respond to posts about MOT issues. Will be interesting to see what they have to say. I have a particular vested interest as mine's due for its first MOT next month.

Post #2546493rd Feb 2008 11:21 pm
philhunt

LEDS

This link is to the MOT Tester's manual - seems pretty clear that if a front light is white then it shouldn't cause a failure

click

Post #2546543rd Feb 2008 11:35 pm
gilmore

England 

robsmith wrote:
Or maybe the Stealer wanted to sell a few more bulbs Shocked

In that case they made a piffling £3, and had to take both my headlight units out to replace the bulbs. In fairness they didn't charge the labour.
regs
rob

Mercedes ML350CDI
HM Moto CRE300X
Honda CRF250X
1974 Honda CB750K4
1975 Honda CB750K5

Post #2549924th Feb 2008 6:18 pm
gilmore

England 
Re: LEDS

philhunt wrote:
If you had fitted blue LEDS it would be an MOT failure but white? Still can't believe what happened to you.

These are the ones I bought - I've copied this off my invoice from Ultraleds:

4 x 501/194/T10 New Mini Light Tower 9 Leds Xenon White

Clearly the spec says white, but I admit they look a bit bluey next to the standard yellowish lights.

Go figure. Maybe they're white with a hint of blue. (copyright Dulux 1987)

Where else can I use them on the car? I've got 4 spare at the moment.

regs
rob

Mercedes ML350CDI
HM Moto CRE300X
Honda CRF250X
1974 Honda CB750K4
1975 Honda CB750K5

Post #2549964th Feb 2008 6:21 pm
philhunt

LEDS

Rob, mine are exactly the same as yours - 9 LED Xenon White mini light towers - 50 Lumens -'closer to pure white than blue'.

Looked at mine tonight with TAZDAZ and he agreed with me that they're pure white. Mine's booked for an MOT on Thursday and they're staying in!

If you're reluctant to put yours back, you could use them to replace your puddle lamp bulbs or use 2 to replace your footwell bulbs and the other 2 to replace a couple of interior bulbs.

Will let you know how my MOT goes.

Post #2550544th Feb 2008 8:06 pm
gilmore

England 

I'd be very interested to see how you get on with the MOT. Is it the main dealer or an MOT station that's going to do it?
regs
rob

Mercedes ML350CDI
HM Moto CRE300X
Honda CRF250X
1974 Honda CB750K4
1975 Honda CB750K5

Post #2550574th Feb 2008 8:11 pm
philhunt

LEDS

It's going to a family run small garage in Ilford where I take my D1 for MOT. The owners love all types of Land Rovers and used to do a lot of trials and RTVs in modified Series.

This information might be useful:

"If your vehicle fails the MOT test and you wish to appeal against refusal to issue a test certificate for your vehicle you must ask for a VT17 form which is obtainable from your MOT testing station.

Send the form with a further full test fee to reach the Vehicle & Operator Services Agency office nearest to your testing station within 14 days of the refusal notice.

If your appeal is successful the fee or part of it will be returned to you. Do not have your vehicle repaired before your appeal is considered because any change to your vehicle may affect the outcome of the appeal. "

Last edited by philhunt on 7th Feb 2008 3:04 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #2551684th Feb 2008 10:56 pm
philhunt

LEDS & MOT

gilmorr wrote:
I'd be very interested to see how you get on with the MOT.
regs
rob

Hi Rob

Went for the MOT this morning - took my UltraLEDS invoice stating Xenon white mini light towers just in case I found myself arguing the toss.

Just as well I took the invoice, the tester commented on how much he liked my sidelight and numberplate lights when handing me the MOT certificate so I was able to jot down the UltraLEDS part number on a post it note for him. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #2564267th Feb 2008 3:04 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >