Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Leaning Suspension Woes
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
JamesWyatt

United States 2006 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Tonga GreenLR3
Leaning Suspension Woes

Next day after a Land Rover new owner off road event, I noticed the vehicle's front right corner seemed low. Put a measuring stick on it and the right side was almost half an inch low. It stayed this way for over a week before getting in for service. Problem is, the suspension difference is a just a hair inside spec. Presumably this is why it's not throwing a fault code. Because of this the service advisor says things like, "don't know what else to tell you, but there's nothing we can do about it". I honestly wouldn't care if it weren't so noticeable. To me the vehicle looks lopsided, and I can tell when driving it's not sitting level. It's enough of a bother that I would likely trade it off if not fixed.

I took the issue up with the service manager. I asked why they at least couldn't try a software update or reset. Seems they can't get reimbursed from Land Rover unless there's a fault code. WTF. Guess the they can't get the white gloves dirty without approval from the mother ship. I *nicely* explained that the vehicle is out of my spec, and they should find a way to fix it as a customer service issue. I told him a $40K+ vehicle shouldn't lean like that. The whole purpose of an air suspension is to keep the vehicle level. The manager said he's going to get with the tech again. We'll see what happens. Any advice appreciated.

Post #22581020th Nov 2007 1:47 am
disco4x4au

Australia 

Not sure if it's relevant, but when I felt my car was not raising the front far enough when switching to off-road, my dealer checked the parameters and said it was marginal, but they tweaked the suspension module settings anyway. Problem seemed to disappear.

Cheers,

Gordon
 ex - 2006 D3 TDV6 SE, silver, with lots of stuff - R.I.P.
ex - 2009 D3 TDV6 SE, silver, had lots of stuff too!
Now - 2010 RRS 3.0 TDV6, rimini red, 18" rims + Cooper LTZ, rear eLocker, Spider tuning box, GOE protection plates and rock sliders, GOE 3way shortened rods. 

Post #22581320th Nov 2007 3:36 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

James
Again it depends on your dealer, yours is not beingvery flexible.
Maybe someone knows how to cause a suspension fault code? So they can be re-embursed by LR.
Just a thought. Exclamation
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #22581720th Nov 2007 4:33 am
JamesWyatt

Thanks for the replies. The service manager evidently has the power to call Land Rover and make a special request for reimbursement. Of course it's aggravating that this was not offered until I had to take an uncivil tone. Whistle

They reported clearing/resetting the computer and adjusting the ride height sensor settings "to match my off road tires". They just had to get in the last jab that it was my fault somehow. Rolling Eyes Seems to be level now. Glad to have my Rover back after a week with a smelly rental GMC Envoy. 8)

Post #22622721st Nov 2007 2:43 am
sideview

United States 2005 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackLR3

Glad you got good results James Thumbs Up Did you tell them that 'off-road' tires are only fitting for an 'off-road' vehicle? Rolling Eyes

I've had great service with my dealer, they've never given me hassles & commented it's nice to see an LR3 getting used. Kudos to Dimmitt LR of Clearwater. Hope the Virginia dealer is as cool.
 I'm not so good at giving advice...may I offer you a sarcastic comment instead?

Haiti Earthquake Relief: Donate Your Frequent Flier Miles 

Post #22622821st Nov 2007 3:31 am
JamesWyatt

Yeah, I thought about pointing out their oblique jab about the tires, but it seemed a graceful way to let them save face.

I am quite relieved that I had not broken an airbag at the off road event. I hit a few dips pretty hard... They made the mistake of holding a timed trial. Twisted Evil I was last in line for the trail, and I caught up the person in front of me and had to slow down for a quarter of the trail. I got to run it again because of this, and I turned in a 1:18 time where I think the second best was close to 1:40. I was told I knocked over a small tree. They made the spotters get off the trail on my second run. Whistle I don't think I'll do that again just to win a Matchbox Defender 110! Now, where did I leave my buffer???

Post #22623121st Nov 2007 5:34 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >