Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Leaking after windscreen change ..... one to be aware of
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
MX

United Kingdom 
Leaking after windscreen change ..... one to be aware of

Just had an interesting day thanks to Autoglass.

They swapped my screen a couple of weeks ago and when I went out to the car after it being laid up for a week due to illness I noticed the passenger footwell was full of water (not "full" but very wet!)

Went back to Autoglass at Aintree and chatted to them and they had a look today. It turns out that there is a plastic trim that fits to the pillar held in by two locator pegs and four waterproof sealed clips. When they took mine apart the locator peg at the top had snapped off and the only thing between the resulting hole and the outside world is a flimsy bit of sponge ............ Curiously, if water is poured down the pillar for some reason it is attracted to the hole in the bodywork, makes a mad dash down the inside of the pillar and jets out when it hits the weld line......who would have thought that would happen Question Question

Long description(sorry) but one to watch out for. I think I may be making a few after market mods to the trim to make sure that there is something more substantial protecting the 80's build quality plastic pegs. Sad

Post #23298511th Dec 2007 9:17 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Its been mentioned before, but when the A pillar trims are removed, you MUST use new clips and seals. They are very cheap. Autoglass should know this by now.

Post #23299511th Dec 2007 9:38 pm
yawlboy

United Arab Emirates 2008 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyLR3

Aaah that explains it. The passenger side of my disco got wet when I washed it after Autoglass replaced the windscreen. Then the trim came off at 100km/h !!!! I just pushed it back in but it did seem a bit loose. I'll ring the stealer in the morning and ask him to fit new clips - my disco is in having new rear brakes, EBP bits and an XY sensor fitted - after 22,000kms and 10 months........
 1993 Defender 110 300tdi - many mods  
Post #23301511th Dec 2007 9:53 pm
Big Fish

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Been there, done that! It cost Autowindscreens a new screen and one of their fitters a major B*********G.

Feet have dried out now.

Big Fish
 It's silver, enough said!

Live life by one rule - He who dies with the most toys - Wins!! 

Post #23304011th Dec 2007 10:38 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Wex

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Off Topic
Quote:
XY sensor fitted

Yawl , had one fitted a month or so ago , wasn't the problem they thought it was i.e didnt rectify the fault.Interested to know what was up with yours.PM me if you like. DW

Post #23305511th Dec 2007 11:16 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >