Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D3)

Laptop and diacnostics ?????
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Rob Bruce

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Maya GoldDiscovery 3
Laptop and diacnostics ?????

I saw in a nother post reference to laptops and what would happen if you could conect the diagnostic port to the usb port, I assume a program would be needed to read the info.
Just wondering where things are up to now and weather something like this is available or on the horison ?
Since a lot of us take laptops with us having a program to do fault diag. resets , fiddle with stuff LR dont wont us to touch would be of great bennifit.

Just thinking Whistle Or are my thoughts just too much of a tall order Bow down

Cheers,
Rob

On another note for people like me with dodgy spelling, can you get spell check on this forum Question
 MY05 TDV6 SE, dirt colour, Now cremated !!!!!!!  
Post #33437020th Aug 2008 8:44 am
Roel

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

If it was only diagnostics and resets would already be great.
 Roel

1997 Camel Trophy Disco ex-P101JWK (traded it for a Britains 42101)
1984 90 TD5
2005 G4 Disco 3 BN55WPT

Also member of club MTR
and Club Faultmate

Interested in my 4x4 history see my website: www.mudmachine.webklik.nl
Sorry it's in Dutch and with google translator it gets funny. 

Post #33443420th Aug 2008 12:30 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Thanks Rob
I had asked the question. Since I run the lap top with the screen in the car it would be be nice be able to see what is happening and be able to diagnose basic fault codes to have some idea where to look.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #33446120th Aug 2008 2:43 pm
AndrewW

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Quote:
On another note for people like me with dodgy spelling, can you get spell check on this forum Question

Must be another international LR equipment spec. thing - I get spell check on here. USA versions, like color and tire, but a little red line comes under the offending word, and a right mouse click offers alternatives.

BTW it didn't like "dodgy" - mustn't be a US word...

But if software is clever enough to sort out our spelling why can't we have Fault-Check on the D3, reporting about things in English (and even correcting the fault)? Whistle
 2006 D3 finally swapped for a 2016 D4 Graphite in Graphite grey. No mods  
Post #33446320th Aug 2008 2:51 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
heine

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3
Re: Laptop and diacnostics ?????

Rob Bruce wrote:

I use http://www.iespell.com/

Post #33446820th Aug 2008 3:54 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SteveNorman

United Kingdom 

Quote:
"why can't we have Fault-Check on the D3, reporting about things in English (and even correcting the fault)? "

I'd like that & I'm using the T4/IDS!!!!! Laughing Laughing Very Happy
The day any diagnostic tool talks plain english is never gonna come!!! Wink

Regards
Steve

Post #33448720th Aug 2008 5:12 pm
Roel

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

Does anybody know which software and hardware is needed for the diagnostics and were to get it?
 Roel

1997 Camel Trophy Disco ex-P101JWK (traded it for a Britains 42101)
1984 90 TD5
2005 G4 Disco 3 BN55WPT

Also member of club MTR
and Club Faultmate

Interested in my 4x4 history see my website: www.mudmachine.webklik.nl
Sorry it's in Dutch and with google translator it gets funny. 

Post #33468020th Aug 2008 11:01 pm
Rob Bruce

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Maya GoldDiscovery 3

Steve,
What can T4/IDS do, how much does it cost, and is it user frendly ?
I am looking for some sort of diag. as my D3 is nearly out of warrenty and later would like to be able to do my own work on the car, I am happy with old school diesals but these computor controled ones are going to be a new learning curve. So I am just going to have to get with it and pull my head out of the sand !

Cheers, Rob
 MY05 TDV6 SE, dirt colour, Now cremated !!!!!!!  
Post #33468220th Aug 2008 11:20 pm
RR38HANS

Belgium 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

This is what you are looking for
product is wellknown by P38 Range Rover owners

http://www.blackbox-solutions.com

Hans

Post #33485721st Aug 2008 12:44 pm
RR38HANS

Belgium 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Forgot the price 932.65£ vat incl. single vehicle license
This means it can only read out your own car and not your best friends discovery.

This is what they say about it.

This is the super low cost Faultmate SV (Single Vehicle) system for any variant of the Discovery 3 (LR3).

This package is an all in one solution combining all the required hardware items to connect any Discovery 3 (LR3) to a standard PC serial port and set of software modules licences for the relevant server software modules that will be required to communicate with all of the on board systems of any one chosen vehicle.

This diagnostic system is licensed for use on one single (per VIN) vehicle only. The system must not be used on any other vehicle or on any ECU from another vehicle.

For a system to communicate with multiple vehicles, of the same or different models please see our modular Fault Mate MV.

1) Every Single Land Rover model with diagnostic technology on board from the very first to the very last.
2) Every single vehicle system that has any on board diagnostic capabilities for every single Land Rover
model.
That’s not only all the major stuff like ABS, Airbags, Petrol Engine Managements, Diesel Engine
Managements, cruise controls, Air Suspension systems, Auto Gearbox’s, Transfer boxes, heating &
ventilations, Body Controls and so on, but also all the driver aid and entertainment stuff like Radios, CD’s,
telephones, DVD, Sat Nav, TV, Touch screens, Tyre pressure sensors, rain sensors Park distance and so on
and on and on.
3) Every single fault code possible, all with their meanings and causes displayed in plain readable text for
every single vehicle system we cover that has fault code storage capability..
4).Every single piece of settings or configuration information for every system is provided and if it is
possible to be changed, it can be.
5) Every single live data value (parameter) that each vehicle system can provide is displayed in
The relevant units in a constantly updating real time display (Live data)
6) Every single output that each vehicle system we cover can be made to drive can be turned on or off.
7) Every single other type of diagnostic feature or routine that is often unique to particular vehicles
systems, such as self tests, odometer synchronisation, security immobilisation synchronisation, key fob
programming, adaptive value resetting. self calibration and so on and on and on.
Our equipment is also far more than your average when it comes to features related how easy is to use, how well
our menus are laid out, how you can view the information that is accessed, how you can manipulate it, record it
and store it. There is a detailed PDF about the amazing features of our Vehicle explorer software available from
our Downloads and products pages, but here are just a few highlights.
1) Customised user interface feels like common windows / web browser type software for instant
familiarity.
2) Entire graphical user interface can be customised, How it starts, logos, colours, fonts, text sizes, left /
right hand menu location, schemes can even be saved.
3) All pages of information are presented using the internet standard of HTML, which makes them well
laid out, easy to read and quite graphically oriented.
4) All pages can be saved wherever and as whatever you wish. Being HTML, they can be shared swapped
viewed or edited by anyone. You can create entire reference libraries of settings or real time data snap
shots.
5) Settings pages taken from vehicle systems and saved can at any time be re loaded and re written
back. Settings can therefore easily be saved, backed up, restored or moved / cloned from one vehicle
system controller to another.
6) Live real time parameter displays can be recorded just as they appear on screen using a built in video
capture facility. The format is again the industries biggest standard of .AVI.
7) Values obtained during real time can be saved as raw Comma Separated Variable file (CSV) files.
These can be imported into programs such as Excel and displayed as a spread sheet. They can of
course then be manipulated infinitely and turned into line or bar chart type pages.
All

This SV122 Kit includes the following:

HW008 Faultmate MSV-2 Server
LD032 Serial Connection Lead (Null Modem)
LD021 VCI2 OBDII Diagnostic Lead
MP012 Discovery 3 (LR3) Software Pack

Hope this helps you!!!

Hans

Post #33488121st Aug 2008 2:03 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

do a search on faultmate...... Rolling Eyes
Tried it, sent it back - didn't do what it said on the tin - probably OK on older stuff but still a bit of 'smoke & mirrors' for the D3

Post #33488321st Aug 2008 2:13 pm
SteveNorman

United Kingdom 

Hi Rob,
T4/IDS is the Landrover approved tool. I think the current list for the complete machine is approx £12,000, although there are some other options which can make it slightly cheaper. This includes 3 year software updates.

The software is by no means user friendly, with a steep learning curve on D3 RRS F2 Def2 & 2007MY FFRR which all use the IDS side.

IDS was developed for Ford, with the newer vehicles software, previous to this was T4, which was the Rover type software.

I have had the T4 since it was launched to the independant market & IDS when it became available as an upgrade. I am learning all the time with it, just when you think you have it sorted, a new fault code or description fools you Smile

The guided fault finding routines are very good though, including connector diagrams, flow processes etc.
There are some cheap chinese clones of IDS units out there, but are not worth the money due to various software & hardware issues, which can cause you to render an ecu on the vehicle useless. The stakes are too high!!!

Regards
Steve

Post #33489921st Aug 2008 3:18 pm
10forcash

Autologic works fine though Thumbs Up and no @rsing around with VIN's 8)

Post #33492421st Aug 2008 4:41 pm
SteveNorman

United Kingdom 

Hi 10fc,
Yes, I was nearly tempted with Autologic, & they have the reputation as the best aftermarket diag tool suppliers & charge enough to maintain good support, but was swayed by the manufacturers route, including dealer helpline support.

I would like to be able to cut down on the connection time, 15-20 mins for service reset is long!!!, but I suppose it does reflash as required along the way.

Regards
Steve

Post #33494121st Aug 2008 5:02 pm
10forcash

Autologic can also reflash some of the modules - well, all the important ones anyway, service reset takes about 3 mins 8)

Post #33518721st Aug 2008 11:07 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >