Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Lack of heat inside when ticking over.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
maltesenick

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Lack of heat inside when ticking over.

Hi guys, as the subject says I'm suffering from a lack of interior heat when sitting parked with engine running and heater on. Its a Base 5 seater "poverty" model so no air con just climate control and I first realised the difference while using a courtesy D4 when the D3 was in for the Brake Recall during the cold spell a couple of weeks ago. Up till then I suppose I hadn't noticed the lack of feeling in my toes and the icicle from my nose while sitting in Tesco's carpark waiting for SWMBO to return with the gruel and ships biscuits for my bodily pleasure. Its fine and toasty when on the move but stay stopped and its not cold but far from warm. Temp gauge on the move sits well up in middle but drops to about 1/4 when stopped. Even sitting with my foot resting on gas pedal so its at a very fast tickover doesn't really help. Incidentally, if it helps , I've noticed twice in the last couple of months, when stopped, the temp gauge visibly rising right to the top to the point where the warning light lit and the "boing" sounded. However switching off the ignition and restarting normalises it all immediately. Coolant level is ok and no visible leaks. I know summer will arrive soon but any help or advice in meantime would be appreciated.

Post #60893623rd Feb 2010 9:04 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Could be a failed (stuck) thermostat. When it sticks open, the engine will struggle to reach temperature, if it jams shut it will overheat.

Is your FBH working?

Post #60894023rd Feb 2010 9:07 pm
maltesenick

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Hi Gareth, when the FBH feels in the mood it does - a bit like a wife in fact. Re the thermo failing shut , its not overheating ie no creaking, popping, bubbling, leaks from coolant areas and gauge looks normal when on the move. And if open, it seems fine and warm on the move. But its certainly worth a look to eliminate it as a cause. Time to get the overalls out - well maybe tomorrow - then maybe not - I've just seen the forecast!!

Post #60896623rd Feb 2010 9:30 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

OK, so when you are sitting in the car, and its cold, you need to check if the FBH is running at that time.

I often sit in my car for an hour or so doing paperwork. I generally keep the engine running, and even in the coldest weather it always remains at normal operating temp. Even if I have been driving at speed for hours on a motorway, if I stop at services and leave the engine running the fbh will kick in after a few minutes. So long as the outside air temp is below 6, and the low fuel warning is OFF, the FBH should kick in when the engine coolant temp drops below 75 degrees.

From your description, I would be looking at a faulty coolant temp sensor. This might be reading too high, ghence the guage going off the scale, and the FBH failing to run because the brain thinks the engine is toasty warm when its actually cooling off. The D3 engine is so efficient, it does not create much excess heat at idle, hence the need for the FBH.

I have no idea where the coolant temp sensor is, but I'm sure someone else does Thumbs Up

Post #60907423rd Feb 2010 11:12 pm
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I would've definately thought of low coolant!
The engine will keep coolant for engine cooling and not pass to heater matrix.
But as you say, you've checked the level and all is ok Confused

btw, it did this on mine due to a coolant loss issue.
 I was a normal heterosexual chap, but in these new woke awakenings I now identify as a Wardrobe.  
Post #60909023rd Feb 2010 11:41 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >