Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Knocking Sound
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
CJS

Scotland 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4
Knocking Sound

I am hearing a knocking sound at the rear of the car (driver's side) when driving at speeds below 35mph. It does not happen on a really smooth surface but you can hear it when going over the smallest bump. It sounds like the exhaust hitting something but I've checked that and all seems to be secure. Has anyone had similar problems?

Post #12399325th Jan 2007 8:45 pm
DN
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hi CJS, some people have found the spare wheel loosely pulled up, causing knocks / rattles, in some the rear seats cause similar noises, check they are locked in position fully, tailgates can also produce odd sounds especially when body flexes, vibration dampers ( metal weights that move on pivots fwd of rear bumper) could possibly be hitting something, jack etc not secure, other than that sorry........I'm sure others will add to this. Wink

Post #12399725th Jan 2007 8:56 pm
CJS

Knocking Sound

Thanks for the reply. I've been through your list of suggestions and everything seems to be fine. Knocking still there but strangely only at low speeds. I know some people have mentioned a similar problem at the front which was linked to the suspension. Car will hopefully be going to dealer for 30,000 mile service within the next two weeks so they may find something.

Post #12401225th Jan 2007 9:48 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Hi CJS, I have a very similar issue. I have also checked all the things you have and find this knock getting worse. Mine is now on 70k miles. The dealer drew a blank at the 60k service and could not find anything wrong.

I have found a bit of movement where the anti roll bar goes through the chassis mounting bush. Its a bit hard to get to but I can definitly move the bar in the bush. I can only move it when the vehicle is dead level. If I jack up and remove a wheel to investigate then it puts a twist on the roll bar and takes up the slack.

I have not had time to get the car back in, but will be doing so soon.

Post #12403325th Jan 2007 10:58 pm
CJS

Knocking Sound

Your explanation sounds very likely. The noises I hear are definitely not from inside the car. Every part I can see and easily reach under the car seems very secure. I would be interested to hear how you get on when you send your car back to the dealer.

Post #12416926th Jan 2007 1:23 pm
CFB

United Kingdom 

Just had to take mine in for a bad knock, turns out that the anti roll bar is knackered and needs a complete replacement. So the new toy is off the road for at least 5 days and I am stuck in a poxy Freelander 1 Evil or Very Mad
 2020 BMW X1 18d XDrive X-Line Auto  
Post #12419326th Jan 2007 3:39 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

On the rear CFB?

Post #12419526th Jan 2007 3:44 pm
CFB

United Kingdom 

Sorry, no the front.
 2020 BMW X1 18d XDrive X-Line Auto  
Post #12420026th Jan 2007 3:56 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Mine is rear

Post #12420726th Jan 2007 4:11 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

my knocking is at front (appears to emanate from the centre) but dealer says there is too much play in the steering rack (D3 has been feeling a little less than its normal secure self) so one is on back order.

Will get them to check the anti roll bars when its done.

Only hear it at slow speed (up to 30 ish) on corrugated surface. Small bumps. Cannot feel it at all in the steering... so could this knocking still be steering rack related ?

Post #12422126th Jan 2007 4:44 pm
Q8_LR3

Kuwait 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Adriatic BlueLR3

simon wrote:
my knocking is at front (appears to emanate from the centre) but dealer says there is too much play in the steering rack (D3 has been feeling a little less than its normal secure self) so one is on back order.

Will get them to check the anti roll bars when its done.

Only hear it at slow speed (up to 30 ish) on corrugated surface. Small bumps. Cannot feel it at all in the steering... so could this knocking still be steering rack related ?

My LR3 used to have this knocking noise from the front side but everything is sorted by the dealer, they have changed the ball joints and bushes that were extremely damaged, no knocking still.
 '05 LR3 HSE V8 - Adriatic Blue - Larini Exhaust System - Lamp Guards - Dual battery system - Hidden 12k winch - Rasta Sump Guard  
Post #12427026th Jan 2007 6:20 pm
CJS

Knocking Sound

Simon's description - corrugated surfaces up to 30mph - is same as my problem. Most people I have heard with this problem have had it at front of car. Mine is at rear - same as Gareth. I am trying another dealer - Croall Bryson in Kelso. They are looking at the car in early February and say they have come across this before. I am told it is usually a suspension bush or the anti roll bar.

Post #12429126th Jan 2007 6:53 pm
Mr Fixit

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
knocking from rear

just been reading about the noises from the rear of the LR3, I have a new Discovery 3 (as of last thursday) and noticed the same thing, but it appears to be the tailgate as when i press the right side closed it makes the same noise as I'm not sure its closing properly, so its off to the dealer, I also noticed the item on the throttle lag, and guess what my new D3 also seems to have one so maybe they didn't sort it after all!

Couple of other Q's, how easy is the sat nav to fit as theres one on Ebay, and what are the bloody great weights for anyway

Post #14683010th Apr 2007 9:02 pm
craig

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Quote:
what are the bloody great weights for anyway
ISTR harmonic dampers  
Post #14683910th Apr 2007 9:23 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

nick... don't bother with the sat nav. Its far too integrated with the D3's systems to post fit at any reasonable cost. better to get a third party one.

My knocking if worse front but present on the rear too.

Post #14688210th Apr 2007 10:19 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >