Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Knocking / Rattling from the rear end somewhere
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
redjelly5000

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Knocking / Rattling from the rear end somewhere

Hi folks, I'm hoping one of you might have an idea about my problem. I've not long had my D3, a few short months now, and Since I had it, it has a slight knocking or maybe even a rattling noise coming from the back end somewhere. It drives superbly, and I have been under it and checked everything I can see, but I can't find any problems.

It's just a light knocking, as if you had a can of De-Icer kicking about in one of the rear side pockets or something, and I hear it whenever I go over a short sharp bump like a drain or manhole cover. Unfortunately living in Mid Wales, the roads here mean this is a constant companion.

It doesn't feel like anything major is wrong with the car, it drives fine, but any ideas? I wondered if it could be something to do with the big swingy harmonising weight thingys behind the back bumper? They feel ok though, and I don't think they're hitting anything.

Trouble is, it's way out of warranty, so I have to solve this one myself.
 D3 TDV6 HSE 2008 Buckingham Blue (current)
D3 TDV6 HSE 2009 Zermatt Silver (previous)
D3 TDV6 HSE 2005 Maya Gold (previous)
D2 TD5 ES 1999 (previous)
Defender TD5 swb hard top 2005 (previous)
Defender 300tdi swb hard top 1994 (previous) 

Post #3416208th Sep 2008 11:20 pm
CG

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I think the mass weight swinging on the back would be a heavier knock. Have you check the jack / tools are stowed correctly, it not unknown for the assembly line to leave tools under seats, and behind panels - can you get someone to sit in the back and listen

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant" 

Post #3416228th Sep 2008 11:25 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

shiny moose wrote:
it not unknown for the assembly line to leave tools under seats, and behind panels

Confused seeing that all the production tools are attached to robots, air or electric lines I find that a tall story TBH Wink

I had rattling rear seats ..solved with a bit of lubricant. Also a squeak in the the rear side compartment ..solved by cramming it full of crap Thumbs Up
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #3416248th Sep 2008 11:33 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Do you know where your locking wheel nut is ??

Sounds silly I know. But it should be stored in the polystyrene at the bottom of the panel on the left of the boot where the jack is stowed.

Worth a check.

Else it could be the anti roll bar bushes. They tend to need changing at around 50-55K miles.

Post #3416268th Sep 2008 11:36 pm
redjelly5000

My wheel nut key is currently in the cubby box, so it shouldn't be that. In the storage space on the left I have some polystyrene that contains my removable towbar, which can't be the problem as when it is in there it has a monster strap to hold it in place, and besides the rattle is still there when the tow bar is being used. The toolkit and jack is in the compartment on the right, but again this is secured by a rubber strap, and when I try to move them by hand, they are firmly in place. I really should try taking it all out and going for a spin to see if it's any different.

I do recall recently making it go away for a couple of hours, after I fitted some side steps. I had to remove one of the rear wheels to get at the trim screws, and after the vehicle was lowered back down to the ground, I noticed the rattle was gone for a few journeys, but then it came back. (I also noted the car went into 'extended suspension mode' which I have never been able to manually select) does this sound like it might be the anti roll bushes? I must say it does feel like that sort of thing. I say it SOUNDS like a rattle, but you can FEEL the knocking right through the car.

I'm at about 44k miles by the way.

Post #3416298th Sep 2008 11:45 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

worth getting the ARB bushes checked.

Post #3416308th Sep 2008 11:48 pm
sufun

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

DG wrote:

I had rattling rear seats ..solved with a bit of lubricant. Also a squeak in the the rear side compartment ..solved by cramming it full of crap Thumbs Up

DG ... how did you solve the rattling rear seat? Where do I need to lubricate exactly?
 TDV6 SE  
Post #3416318th Sep 2008 11:49 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DN
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I get a squeak/ vibration from my spare wheel (sidewall against the rubber buffers above), every time I go over a sharp bump, tried a bit of silicone grease on them, but still there enough to grate on me Evil or Very Mad A few more possibilities...........
some folks have reported knocks from rear seats (check they are stowed properly).... tailgate (plastic wedge shaped things either side require lubricating), other than that, it may require a bit of close inspection and levering the rear suspension etc.as said above, to see if there is excessive play anywhere.Good Luck. ,

Last edited by DN on 9th Sep 2008 12:00 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #3416348th Sep 2008 11:55 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

sufun wrote:
Where do I need to lubricate exactly?

Shocked

Well in this instance Whistle Laughing I checked all of the visible bolts but the trouble seemed to be the rear hooks that secure the back of the seat base to the floor ...all given an extra tighten and a spray of the WD ...eased the issue greatly Thumbs Up
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #3416378th Sep 2008 11:59 pm
SPOTTER

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

sufun,

I had to have the chassis of the middle middle seat replaced to get rid of a rattle, it wasn't seating down properly. Took nearly 9 months to find it was that rattling
 end of an era ....... maybe a Defender when it appears.......  
Post #3416759th Sep 2008 7:45 am
redjelly5000

I had a good look through the back end again today, and I was concentrating on inside, as the weather isn't right for concrete crawling, and by accident I think I may have found it! While emptying the stowage pockets on either side, (jack, toolkit, towbar etc) I leant on the plastic covered steel retracting cable that supports the lower rear door, and heard that same rattle!

It appears that the whole rollers and retraction mechanism is very loose. When I wiggle the cable, the whole unit seems to move on the left one, but not the right. Clearly I need to tighten this up anyway, but also so I can rule it out as a possible suspect.

Can anyone tell me how to get at it? I used to be an auto electrician by trade, and 10 years ago would be stripping interiors apart all over the place, but I can't see on first glance where the fixings are to get at it. It looks as though the whole of the left hand side of the boot right up to the upper glove box is one piece. Maybe I can loosen a few things off enough to just get a spanner on the bolts from the back without taking it all to pieces!

Thanks in advance for any ideas...

Post #3418329th Sep 2008 2:30 pm
redjelly5000

I managed to get the panel loose, enough to tighten the two bolts that hold that mechanism on, and indeed that was rattling but alas it was not the prime suspect. The other knocking is still there, and I suspect you boys who suggested the ARB bushes might be right. I will have to get under again with a bar and give them a check over.

Post #3418749th Sep 2008 4:32 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

If it helps, here is a picture of the bush that wears out. If its is worn, the roll bar will easily move in the bush when the car is on level ground. I found the rattle would be most pronounced when only one rear wheel was driven over a bump. When both wheels went over a bump together (ie sleeping policeman or road hump) then the rattle was less pronounced. Mine were done ages ago and made a big difference.

Click image to enlarge

Post #3419839th Sep 2008 10:01 pm
redjelly5000

Thanks Gareth. That's helpful. I had a quick look under earlier and I couldn't see the ARB, but it was too wet to lie down under it. I think mine too is more pronounced when only one wheel is affected, ie a manhole rather than sleeping policemen. It's looking more and more likely.

Did you do the job yourself? Or did you get a garage to do it? I once did the front ARB bushes on my D2, but they were a beggar to get the new ones back in, and that was when they were very very accessible. Looks from your photo like it might be a bit awkward in terms of access, being above the chassis rather than under like the D2.

Post #34208210th Sep 2008 12:07 am
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Might sound daft ..but i used to get a rattle from the top tailgate ..have a look at this post just in case any symptoms are the same

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic10060.html?highlight=
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #34209010th Sep 2008 12:35 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >