Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D4)

Keyless entry security
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
wormus

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4
Keyless entry security

Hi, had my MY2012 D4 for a week now and loving it. However, getting a bit paranoid about the stories of cars with keyless entry being stolen and sold for parts.

I'm now thinking about additional security and was wondering if anyone has fitted a CAN-Lock or one of the OBD port protectors. I've been considering one of these: https://www.tvl-ltd.co.uk/vehicles/land-ro...-protector .Looking for a simple, effective solution.

Any advice appreciated.

Post #142555713th Feb 2015 5:56 pm
RandomKamikaze

United Kingdom 

Site Sponsor BBS SPY does this

They have made a video showing its use as well. Seems to do the job
 Disco gone Sad  
Post #142556713th Feb 2015 6:07 pm
Washwipe

England 

My only thoughts on the OBD lock in the link, it looks like it is locked with a Tubular Lock, one which is easily picked with the correct tool that can be purchased online for under £20.

Post #142556813th Feb 2015 6:07 pm
wormus

RamdomKamikaze wrote:
Site Sponsor BBS SPY does this

They have made a video showing its use as well. Seems to do the job

Looks fairly straight forward. According to the manual I'd be looking for a yellow/white or yellow/blue twisted pair. Does it matter which? Assuming I buy one and wire it in, how do I know it's working?

Post #142558813th Feb 2015 6:24 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

It is very straight forward to fit a CAN-LOCK wormus.

You would tap this into a twisted pair that are Yellow with a white Trace and Yellow with a Blue trace anywhere on the vehicle and going to all the ECU's as per the Manual.

Correct connection and operation is confirmed via a Built in LED that is not only very discreet but only does so when initially connected Wink

Washwipe;
The OBDII socket is just a standardised connection to the vehicles CAN BUS and therefore the easiest way to connect to it, However it is actually possible to connect to the CAN BUS anywhere which is why LR now make all wires in their doors and tailgates Black.

Post #142569213th Feb 2015 8:12 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
wormus

BBS SPY wrote:

You would tap this into a twisted pair that are Yellow with a white Trace and Yellow with a Blue trace anywhere on the vehicle and going to all the ECU's as per the Manual.

The manual says : "...However there are typically two different CAN-BUSes that feed the ECUs located all over the vehicle and you will need to tap into the right pair."

So do you connect to (high) Yellow/White or (low) Yellow/Blue? Or does it not matter?

Post #142575813th Feb 2015 9:04 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I think you might be being thrown by a common confusion wormus.

A CAN bus is a pair of twisted wires that are referred to as CAN HIGH and CAN LOW.

There are indeed two distinctly seperate CAN BUS's on the D4

The first is a HIGH speed CAN BUS which is a pair of twisted wires that are Yellow with a Brown trace and Yellow with a Black Trace

The second is a MEDIUM Speed, although often referred to as a LOW speed Can Bus which is a twisted pair of wires that are Yellow with a White Trace and Yellow with a Blue Trace.

This Medium or low speed pair is the Can Bus pair that you need to tap into.

Unfortunaltely the re useage of the terms HIGH and LOW being shared between the Wire pair designations and the BUS designations can occasionally cause some confusion.

However the picture and table provided in the CAN-LOCK's fitting instructions clearly show this CAN bus pair and indicate that the CAN-LOCK's white wire needs connecting to the Yellow with a White trace wire in this twisted pair and the Blue wire from the CAN-LOCK needs connecting to the Yellow with a Blue trace wire in this twisted pair.

http://www.nanocom-diagnostics.com/uploads...KGuide.pdf

They must be fitted the right way round, however as I have stated stated we have very recently updated the design to include a correct connection confirmation LED, that the current instructions still need updating to include information about.

Post #142624814th Feb 2015 4:44 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
wormus

Thanks, that's great. I'll order one later on today Smile

Post #142672615th Feb 2015 10:08 am
wormus

Still haven't ordered a Can-lock as I needed to get a new key coded by the dealer and the car is still under warranty. Anyway, it took them an hour and a half because they needed to replace the RFA module before their latest software would talk to it. Now there was nothing wrong with the old one and the car locked/unlocked like it should so why would Land Rover upgrade a piece of hardware in this way? I'm wondering if the press and worries about theft have forced them to redesign it?

Post #14387907th Mar 2015 2:55 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >