Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Jerry Can Storage
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
dbregman

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3
Jerry Can Storage

I have going back and forth on where best to store two Jerry cans (one for fuel and one for water). I have used both the center middle row seat and the roof. The seat is now occupied by my ARB (engel) fridge, so on the last trip I tried the roof. It worked fairly well. I was able to easily siphon fuel on a trail in the dark to a fellow D3 without much trouble and without removing the jerry can from the roof - a big plus.

Tom Sheppard - and many others - advise aginst putting jerry cans on the roof as it raises the center of gravity and can cause instability.

I have to rule out the rear loadspace, since that get full of other stuff when on a trip. I am hoping to benifit from others experience here and see what people have done.
 David
'05 LR3 Zambezi Silver
ARB Bull Bar
Superwinch EP9.0
Rasta Sill Guards
Land Rover Raised Air Intake
Hannibal Roof Rack
Rear Access Ladder

Post #19773631st Aug 2007 8:34 pm
Baben

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

The centre seat area is just the right size for 2 jerrycans on a roofrack mounting bracket, or a double jerrycan sized plastic water tank (40l) - I have used this space for 2x double jerrycan tanks end-on (80l) with great success for long trips, but as you have used this area for the fridge, not much else you can do but put fuel & water on the roof.
Fuel (Petrol/Gasoline) I would not want inside the vehicle at all. Diesel maybe, but even that will stink, and Gasoline/Petrol is a fire hazard.
Water you can accomodate in a number of ways - there are now water bags and tanks available that will fit in the rear (middle) passenger footwell. Not sure if you can get this out in USA, but have a look at http://www.frontrunner.co.za/fr_products/products/FR871.html for some ideas - this is a water bladder about 27l that can fit almost anywhere.

As for instability, well it depends how much you put on the roof and how fast you drive off-road. 20l fuel is not gonna make very much difference on the roof. I have loaded more than 200kg on the roof in some really interesting terrain and though you can feel it, you just have to adapt your driving accordingly.

if you have no rear seat passengers, you have many options. Fuel I would keep outside though, regardless

Post #19774031st Aug 2007 8:57 pm
Maxim

Belgium 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Hello,
Arranged 40l water and two jerries on the roof:
Click image to enlarge

However I am not impresst by the FR quality.
 TDV6 (Belgian) HSE '06  
Post #1979801st Sep 2007 5:58 pm
Spanish Fly

Spain 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

Hi Maxim, I see you have fitted a sheet of chequer-plate aluminium to your Land Rover rack. What thickness did you use? Did you find a good place to mount sand ladders? I am about to do the same to my LR rack. Did you attach the aluminium with square 'captive' nuts in the rails or did you drill new holes?

Cheers, Chay

Post #20982130th Sep 2007 12:23 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Rob Bruce

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Maya GoldDiscovery 3

If no rear pasengers , remove middle row seats, for my trip starting tomorrow I have two nilon plastic containers each with three jerrys, totleing 120 litres. Once these seats are out there is an awsome amount of room and the weight of the seats out negates nearly the weight of three jerrys Exclamation

Rob

Post #20983130th Sep 2007 1:00 pm
Maxim

Belgium 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Spanish Fly wrote:
Hi Maxim, I see you have fitted a sheet of chequer-plate aluminium to your Land Rover rack. What thickness did you use? Did you find a good place to mount sand ladders? I am about to do the same to my LR rack. Did you attach the aluminium with square 'captive' nuts in the rails or did you drill new holes?

Cheers, Chay

4mm chequer plate with bended edges for reenforcement.
Do not have sand ladders. Depending on thikness they can be placed between the roof and roofrack? (mind the rear ladder to be able to pull them out)
I used the square 'Captive' nuts to hold the chequer plate. With double sided tape I glued two canvas strips on the underside of the plate to protect the roofrack and to avoid cracking noise. Same canvas was used to build the luggage bag on the roofrack.
Also on the FR jerrycan holder I did put canvas strips for protection but forgot to put someting between the two jerries with a scratched result. (after the Iceland trip)

Maxim
 TDV6 (Belgian) HSE '06  
Post #2101411st Oct 2007 12:16 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >