Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

Jerky motion of folding wing mirrors - quick fix
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Singh

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4
Jerky motion of folding wing mirrors - quick fix

So I noticed the wing mirrors on the D4 have been getting really jerky in operation.

A quick browse of google and some forums points to a TSB that suggests this is a common issue due to lack of lubrication over time. Figured no harm in reposting a short guide.

Fix was simple enough, time will tell how long it lasts.

With the mirrors in the normal open position, push the outer edge of the housing towards the front of the car, so it pivots beyond the normal fully open position. Mine presented only very little resistance, but others have reported it takes quite some effort.

Move the mirror housing all the way until it comes to a stop/clicks into a locked position. This exposes part of the track that the folding action uses. I liberally applied silicone lubricant, on both passenger and driver's side. Then pivot the mirror back to the normal position. It should click into place. I then moved it back to the fully open position again, and back to normal a few times to "spread some lubrication" around the back end of the mechanism. I then used the key fob to lock/open the car 3-4 times, causing the mirrors to fold and open as per normal operation to again spread the lubricant.

Took all of 5 mins, and the motion is now very much smoother and noise is much reduced.

As I say, time will tell how long this lasts, but as part of a regular routine (say one per month), this is easy to do to maintain smooth motion.

Then fold the mirror back to the normal open position,

Post #166841016th Jun 2016 1:34 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Thumbs Up
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #166864616th Jun 2016 9:02 pm
Singh

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Robbie, coming from you, I take that as a REAL compliment! Laughing

Post #166869916th Jun 2016 10:10 pm
Discologist

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

And now I'm disappointed I didn't see an opportunity for my own how-to thread. Very Happy I think this was the first 'repair' I made when I bought my D3 two years ago - simple but effective.

Now: if anyone can explain why one of the motors in my n/s mirror occasionally seems to run when I turn the ignition off...

Post #166879117th Jun 2016 7:54 am
euangibson

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4
Re: Jerky motion of folding wing mirrors - quick fix

Singh wrote:
So I noticed the wing mirrors on the D4 have been getting really jerky in operation.

As I say, time will tell how long this lasts, but as part of a regular routine (say one per month), this is easy to do to maintain smooth motion.

Did mine with spray grease about 2 years ago,and haven't had to do it again Thumbs Up
 "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool,than to speak out and remove all doubt" ?.....what rubbish...

Locking rear E-diff
RLD spare wheel protector & sump guard
Extended roof rails
Series 111 mudflaps
Black side tubes,grill and vents
Timed climate remote
Hids4u interior lights

D4 Firenze my2012 HSE
D3 Java 2005 SE manual (sold,sadly,thanks for the memories)
1966 '88 Series 2a....still starts in the morning better than I do... 

Post #166881017th Jun 2016 9:05 am
blackdog1

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4
Re: Jerky motion of folding wing mirrors - quick fix

Singh wrote:

A quick browse of google and some forums points to a TSB that suggests this is a common issue due to lack of lubrication over time. Figured no harm in reposting a short guide.

Fix was simple enough, time will tell how long it lasts.

With the mirrors in the normal open position, push the outer edge of the housing towards the front of the car, so it pivots beyond the normal fully open position. Mine presented only very little resistance, but others have reported it takes quite some effort.

Move the mirror housing all the way until it comes to a stop/clicks into a locked position. This exposes part of the track that the folding action uses. I liberally applied silicone lubricant, on both passenger and driver's side. Then pivot the mirror back to the normal position. It should click into place. I then moved it back to the fully open position again, and back to normal a few times to "spread some lubrication" around the back end of the mechanism. I then used the key fob to lock/open the car 3-4 times, causing the mirrors to fold and open as per normal operation to again spread the lubricant.

Took all of 5 mins, and the motion is now very much smoother and noise is much reduced.

Then fold the mirror back to the normal open position,
Useful to know for the future. Thumbs Up  
Post #166891217th Jun 2016 1:12 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >