DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Jacking the Vehicle
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
SPOTTER

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Jacking the Vehicle

Embarassed Embarassed

Gave my neighbours something else to laugh about again yesterday.

Swapped my MTR's back to roads for the first time at my house. Did it on the small area at the side of my house where there is only access to one side of the vehicle, so do one side and turn vehicle round.

No problem.......

Did one side fine. Second side, changed wheels but when I tried to move the car couldn't. The "far" side was hard up against the concrete divider between my drive and my neighbours (I know, I know, what else should I expect leaving in an estate Rolling Eyes )

Anyway this means that the car had moved bodily a couple of inches to one side during the jacking and lowering!!! Is this normal, a factor of geometry maybe? Obviously now I know it happens I can allow for it but the car moved more on the side where the road tyres (softer) already were.

The car was extraxted with two damaged rims and hordes of neighbours rocking it to roll the car away from the concrete and allow me to move in bursts as it rocked away. This worked really well and shows how much play there is in tyre side wall Shocked

Anyway..........I have now seen the super extended mode, it really does go quite high.
 end of an era ....... maybe a Defender when it appears.......  
Post #2100841st Oct 2007 8:41 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Yup, it moves sideways under jacking, probably to do with the amount you have to jack the car to get wheels clear of the ground compared with "normal" cars. An air jack and some waffle boards might have helped get you out a little quicker? Hard to say without seeing the concrete divider though
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #2101051st Oct 2007 10:01 am
al cope

England 

I forgot to put mine into extended mode before jacking it up. Lifted it ok, changed wheel, put it down OK. But when I went to drive of, warnings about being in extended mode, center console height selector lights flashing. Sorted itself out, but it didnt do this when I lifted it last time, as I had put the suspension up first.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #2101101st Oct 2007 10:14 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Interestingly the LRA chap you visited my D3 in France (EPB problem) jacked her up locked in Access Height. Seemed to work far easier than in Off Road Height.

Post #2101151st Oct 2007 10:20 am
SPOTTER

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

might try that SImon......

The issue was we couldn't jack it up again to try and "move" it back becuse by tehat time teh suspension had done its stuff an dcouldn't get a wheel of fteh ground before the vehicle was resting on the dividing fence!!!

The concreet is a damn nuisance, it is a couple of feet high as my drive is 2 feet lower than next doors by the time you get down to the side of te house............keeps the local alloy repairers very busy!!!

Car groned a lot in the extended mode as well, doesn't feel or sound happy Neutral
a
 end of an era ....... maybe a Defender when it appears.......  
Post #2101231st Oct 2007 10:42 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >