Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Jacking Damage
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
andyp

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Jacking Damage

Disco 3: i recently had a puncture repaired, the bright spark that jacked car up didnt do it correctly and car slipped off trolley jack, luckily wheel was still on, however.............the jack head broke through a plastic cover which is located in front of the nearside wheel arch next to the chassis member...............i now have a rather loud vibration when whatever it inside of plastic box is operating.............i think it may be something to do with air suspension or maybe fuel pump? Does anybody know what equipment is located in this position? and what could have happened. The vehicle appears to operate as normal apart from the noise

Post #40965126th Jan 2009 10:28 pm
BCP

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Hopefully just the compressor bracket. Kwik fit recently managed to do this to mine. About £150 all in for LR to sort.

BP

Post #40965426th Jan 2009 10:32 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

If its the nearside just in front of the rear wheel then it sounds like the compressor housing.The compressor is likely to have at the very least bent on its mounting. You best get this checked out.
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #40965626th Jan 2009 10:32 pm
CG

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

You would think a tyre bay would know better, make sure you claim the cost back or get them to pay.

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant" 

Post #40966426th Jan 2009 10:42 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
andyp

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

hows my ex wheels doing? have you put some "nobblys" on them yet?

Post #40967026th Jan 2009 10:47 pm
BCP

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

We didn't jack anywhere near your compressor, I used that hole there...
that's the drain hole on the compressor cover....
Ah..

Full marks to Kwik Fit, refund for LR work by return of post and all handled very smoothly.

Post #40967326th Jan 2009 10:53 pm
Craig S-L

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Deffo compressor, did the same last year - bracket was about £150 fitted (but I got it discounted as part of a service)

However my compressor is still noisy, so I have probably damaged that in some way, looking at £400 to replace - as it is a weekend warrior I will run it until it fails.
 Craig

2015 D? SDV6 HSE Loire Blue
2009 D4 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black
2006 G4 Challenge V8 HSE (Gone, but fuel bills not forgotten!)
Media Support Vehicle Stage 1 & 2 Thailand and Laos
Driven by Rudi Thoelen, 2003 Winner 

Post #40972626th Jan 2009 11:42 pm
KevF

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Java BlackDiscovery 4

This is what happened to ours. Wife got a puncture and a 'helpful' passerby took pity on her and changed the wheel.

A few days later the EPB light stayed on despite the actual brake releasing. It turned out the guy had jacked the car up on the wrong part. He had crushed the plastic cover, the alloy protective cover under that and then caught and sliced through some wires including the wire to the EPB switch.

The two covers came to no more than £60 to replace plus then the time to cut, resplice and solder the offending wires.....

The covers are easy to remove so I would check what damage was done under there......

Post #40991227th Jan 2009 10:47 am
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

Craig S-L wrote:
Deffo compressor, did the same last year - bracket was about £150 fitted (but I got it discounted as part of a service)

However my compressor is still noisy, so I have probably damaged that in some way, looking at £400 to replace - as it is a weekend warrior I will run it until it fails.

Have you cleaned all the mud from around the compressor. It gets trapped dry's out with the heat from the comp and then stops the little anti vibration rubbers doing their job Thumbs Up
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #40995927th Jan 2009 12:38 pm
Craig S-L

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Must admit that I was expecting the dealer to do that while they were fitting the bracket, and I haven't looked Embarassed

Another job for the weekend
 Craig

2015 D? SDV6 HSE Loire Blue
2009 D4 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black
2006 G4 Challenge V8 HSE (Gone, but fuel bills not forgotten!)
Media Support Vehicle Stage 1 & 2 Thailand and Laos
Driven by Rudi Thoelen, 2003 Winner 

Post #41011527th Jan 2009 5:23 pm
hernan1304

United Arab Emirates 2008 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Izmir BlueLR3

Each time mine gets jacked up I get down underneath and position the jack myself (even if it's with the hydraulic jack at the tyre shop). They usually think I'm annoying, but not worth the hassle of getting something broken by someone who "knows what they're doing".

I also have made sure that the two times I've changed a tyre myself, I involved SWMBO in the process so she knows exactly what to do. She's actually quite proud that she knows how to change a tyre now! I think this would help avoid the helpful samaritan breaking my compressor scenario Shocked

Post #41105729th Jan 2009 7:23 am
flinty99

England 

Sad question I know, but never having jacked the car up myself where are people positioning the trolley jacks? A picture or two would help me here.

Post #41107929th Jan 2009 9:22 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ridgeback_moor

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

I painted, in big red and yellow letters "NO JACK HERE" on the compressor cover. Should help out on days like today when the D3's in the Toyota garage for it's MOT. (SWMBO works there so it's cheap)
 Previously:
2005 D3 2.7 TDV6 S
1984 90 2.25 Petrol CSW
1992 90 200TDi Hard Top
1995 Discovery ES 300TDi
2003 90 TD5 Truck Cab

Post #41109729th Jan 2009 10:06 am
MonLand

2006 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol Base 7 Seat Auto Unknown ColourLR3

Nothing to brag about, but I was the idiot that tried to jack the LR3 using the compressor water hole.... To my defense, it was below freezing with low light and since I had done it in the past month or so, I figured I could do this.... Anyway..... I crushed the cover (a little bit), the air compressor bracket (not a little bit).

I got to fix my mess this past weekend (the aircompressor was still working fine thankfully).
I discovered a few thinks that folks fixing it might want to know about:
- the air compressor is attached to the bracket using two angled tabs. Those two tabs bent in my case which is likely what prevent any other damage.
- removing the pastic cover is very easy: three bolts to remove (10 mm socket wrench will do the job)
* two bolts to the frame (front and back)
* one bolt to the air compressor bracket (right next to the water release hole where I tried to put the jack)
- removing the bracket when it is crushed is fairly easy:
* three bolts to the frame (10 mm socket)
* three crews throught the bushing to air compressor (you'll have to tilt the compressor so you can unscrew two of them from the "top"), you'll need a 3WH (not sure that that means, that's what is on the wrench, I'd guess 3 mm hex bit)

My bracket only had two bolts holding it to the frame. But.... You are supposed to have three. Now, when you try to install the bracket, you'll understand why you'll be tempted to only put three.... The top bolt is really hard to reinstall. Here is how I did it:
- tilt the bracket so you can fit your hand and start the bolt in the thread.
- get a 10 mm (long) ratcheting wrench (something like this http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_0...921x00003a does not have to be twisted, but ratcheting)
- using a long thin tool (screwdriver? socket extension?), put pressure on the bolt (no pressure = no ratcheting)
- go at it.... Took me a good 20-30 minutes to get the right tools/position/lighting and get the bolt in.

Anyway, that was not fun, but that got done.

Ironically, on the new plastic cover I re-install, there is a "No jacking point" logo..... I guess this is not an uncommon occurence.

Post #4136442nd Feb 2009 5:01 pm
MonLand

2006 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol Base 7 Seat Auto Unknown ColourLR3

flinty99 wrote:
Sad question I know, but never having jacked the car up myself where are people positioning the trolley jacks? A picture or two would help me here.

The owner manual has a decent diagram you can look at.

Post #4140973rd Feb 2009 8:53 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >