DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

It's been a while - bike racks
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
mrandmrsh

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3
It's been a while - bike racks

Am about to order a bike rack.

There are 3 of us (me, wife and 6yo son) so we only *need* 3 bikes but I want 4 so we can take along one of son's mates as well. I have the LR removeable swan neck towbar.

Would love to be able to tow a caravan with the rack (with ALKO though I haven't bought the caravan yet I expect to in the spring) but having read the Maxxraxx history realise this is not an option and can't find anything else that allows the bikes to be carried and tow with ALKO at the same time.

So, my requirements have been trimmed to: -

1) Carry 4 bikes
2) Allow (easy) access to the boot
3) Ideally provide a flat platform to allow me to put the roofbox on the rack when I am not carrying bikes

Options are:
a) Atera Strada http://www.roofbox.co.uk/cgi-bin/bikeGen.c...ery=AR2603 but this is pretty expensive at £310 for the 3 bike with 4th bike adaptor

b) Pendle but I don't think this tilts/slides to give access to the boot

c) Tradekar Saffier 4 bike carrier which I have to say looks ideal http://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel4...&qty=1

I have gone off the Maxxraxx because they said I can't tow ALKO with their bracket fitted to my towbar and fitment of the bracket is something the suggest a fitter does rather than DIY.

Have I missed any? Any views on the Tradekar Saffier as this is the one I think I am about to order?

Regards
Craig
 2012 Defender 110 XS Utility 2.2
2012 D4 Commercial 255 8-speed, Active diff, lots of extras on order, comes Sept - ORDER CANCELLED (isn't divorce expensive....?)
2008/08 D3 HSE G4 - part exchanged for the 110
1987 110 CSW with 200 Tdi (now gone)
2007/57 D3 TDV6 HSE - NOW GONE owned 1/oct/08 to 31/dec/09
2007 Seat Altea Freetrack4 170 tdi (wife's car, wife now gone!) 

Post #37909526th Nov 2008 12:13 am
CY

Scotland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

Have you considered a roof-mounted cycle carrier? Land Rover do their own system which is a re-badged Thule 591 carrier. This would leave the back of the vehicle 'free' and it is very easy to secure the bikes on the roof as the tightening clasp and fasteners are all low on the 591. You might need a foldable step-ladder in the boot though to help you get them up there in the first place, but we bought one in Homebase for not very much.

Click image to enlarge

Mounting and dismounting the bikes safely and securely is done in a matter of seconds (I do it every fortnight so have a good experience of it Wink )

Here's the 591 on a friend's Audi - you'd comfortably sit 4 carriers on the roof (ensuring each one is secured in a reverse position from the next one so that the handlebars do not foul each other).
Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
 2007 Porsche Boxster (987) 2.7
2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE G4 Challenge (1 of 68)
2023 Defender 90 D250 X-Dynamic HSE 

Last edited by CY on 22nd Feb 2009 12:05 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #37909926th Nov 2008 12:19 am
Alex08

Scotland 

Thule 903 tips away from the car and takes 4 bikes with the adapter. Not as neat as the Altera but more robust and folds into a small package that goes into most car boots easily. Don't know if the 'forum special price' is still available - others will inform I suspect.

I got one on a group buy here some time ago - lost some bits and had them replaced free by THule - great customer service!

No regrets with this one. Thumbs Up

Post #37910126th Nov 2008 12:24 am
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Dont think they can be used at the same time as a caravan ..but some usefull features ..have a look here

http://www.bak-rak.com/bikestuff.htm
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #37910926th Nov 2008 12:45 am
mrandmrsh

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

CY wrote:
Have you considered a roof-mounted cycle carrier? Land Rover do their own system which is a re-badged Thule 591 carrier. This would leave the back of the vehicle 'free' and it is very easy to secure the bikes on the roof as the tightening clasp and fasteners are all low on the 591. You might need a foldable step-ladder in the boot though to help you get them up there in the first place, but we bought one in Homebase for not very much.

I have considered a roof mount system and whilst it answers lots of questions (like still being able to tow) I decided against it on the basis I am just not tall enough and thought even with a step ladder it would be difficult. I had (still have) a couple of roof bike holders, albeit cheapo Halfords ones that are a pain to fasten bikes to, and have found (on my old Audi Allroad) that the effort to fasten the bike holders to the roofbars and then lift the bikes up and secure them means they are not really suitable for a quick ride on a Sunday afternoon.

However, the Thule 591s look a much better system. Can I ask, do you leave the roof bars on the D3 and attach the bike racks to the bars as you need them or do you leave the whole lot on the car all the time (which I wouldn't be able to do as I park in a 2.0m car park regularly)? When I used the bars I had on my previous car I used to leave the bike holders fastened to the roof bars and remove the whole lot as one unit.

Many thanks
C
 2012 Defender 110 XS Utility 2.2
2012 D4 Commercial 255 8-speed, Active diff, lots of extras on order, comes Sept - ORDER CANCELLED (isn't divorce expensive....?)
2008/08 D3 HSE G4 - part exchanged for the 110
1987 110 CSW with 200 Tdi (now gone)
2007/57 D3 TDV6 HSE - NOW GONE owned 1/oct/08 to 31/dec/09
2007 Seat Altea Freetrack4 170 tdi (wife's car, wife now gone!) 

Post #37916826th Nov 2008 10:15 am
tatters

United Kingdom 
Thule 591s

I currently use Thule 591 on Thule roofbars (not currently on a D3 but guess some of this is cross applicable).
It takes me 5-7mins to get from no roof bars to bikes fixed & ready to go. I keep the bars detached from the bike racks for ease of storage. The 591 is brilliant - easy, safe (locks to bars & bike). The only reason I'm considering changing to towbar mounted is because of the effect on fuel economy.

(Can I recommend http://www.skidrive.co.uk/ if you go down this route - cheapest I could find (including ebay!) & inredibly helpful).

Post #37918726th Nov 2008 11:02 am
tanters

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Alex

Is that on the multi height tow bar or the detachable model?
 A happy childhood ... is the worst possible preparation for life.  
Post #37923826th Nov 2008 12:50 pm
AndyViking

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I can certainly vouch for the Atera Strada - great bike rack and superb service from Roofbox.

It is very well made, clamps onto the towball like a terrier on heat, has lockable rigid bars and ties to hold the bikes in place and is good at "motorway plus" speeds Whistle . It comes with all the bits a pieces and goes on the car in seconds and folds up into the boot for when you are not using it. Best of all is that everything locks up with keys so there is little chance of toe rags nicking your bikes.
 D3 - 2008.5MY HSE, Stornaway Grey, RSE etc - all the toys
Grabber AT3s, Smoked Sweeping Side Repeaters
D4 Steering Wheel with BBS boards
IID BT Tool - happy to help with fault codes 

Post #37932626th Nov 2008 3:43 pm
Alex08

Scotland 

tanters wrote:
Alex

Is that on the multi height tow bar or the detachable model?

On the detachable.

Post #37960626th Nov 2008 11:59 pm
mick

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I have the maxxraxx and tow a tintent with the rack on Alko hitch no worries. Thumbs Up

Post #37962127th Nov 2008 12:18 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >