Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 3

It's taken 10 months but all of a sudden I get the point!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
jojim65

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
It's taken 10 months but all of a sudden I get the point!

Have to confess I bought my discovery because I could.....March 2009 was clearly the optimum time to buy a new HSE and at a ridiculous discount, I would never have spent £40,000 plus on it and coming from an Audi it was a leap of faith.....

Thanks to Charles Hurst Park Royal for the pestering....in this household it was a big big decision...

Now after 10 months and 7500 happy miles I can report that nothing can cosset you quite as much on a cold winters evening as a D3 with all gadgets going...I don't give a hoot about going from 48mpg to 33mpg, nor having to avoid multi story car parks...in fact even the squeak from the EPB and steering have been sorted and what a wonderful place it is to be when it's pouring with rain, cold and just grim....

Okay I may never get my axles into 3 feet of mud....it's not about what I do in it, it's about what it could if I had to....I seriously admire those of you who take what cost more than my first house into a swollen river just for the heck of it...

But just had to say thanks to you all, without this forum there would be an Audi Q5 on the drive and I wouldn't even think of peeking through the curtains last thing at night just to check if the car was okay
Thumbs Up

Last edited by jojim65 on 7th Dec 2009 8:58 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #5616767th Dec 2009 8:49 pm
NeilD

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Brilliant!, well written and pretty much sums up D3 onwership Bow down
 My Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/NeilDisco#p/u/5/Dz4-Q95GQ2c
Photo Sets http://www.flickr.com/photos/16658684@N08/sets/72157625275139752/ 

Post #5616797th Dec 2009 8:54 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bigdave
Site Sponsor 

England 

It does get under your skin doesnt it.

Even my 54 plate S, which is currently badly dented, covered in Censored and looks like my mutt has used it as a Turkish bath.

But get in it at 06.00hrs to walk the mutt in the farmlands and by god your glad of the cold climate pack!!!!

I too went from a fast car (BMW 325Ci) and would NEVER go back.

Enjoy Thumbs Up
 All things shipping, storage, transport. UK and worldwide.

E-mail [email protected] 

Post #5616827th Dec 2009 8:56 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Stu

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Been thinking the same recently when driving in the pouring rain and being that bit higher up with the heated seat on listening to a great sounding CD as I am whafted along in sublime comfort. The best thing is that you can do this and then you can take it off road and it goes from one to the other without effort.

It seems that permagrin really comes into it's own in the winter, and it's not that it's just frozen in place!

Glad to hear you're enjoying it. Maybe you might even be tempted to take it off road with some of us? Maybe just a nice green lane or two?
 D3 HSE MY05 Auto

Expo Rack, Club MTR, LR Spots, A Bar, Light Guards, GNVP Sump Guard, GNVP Ladder, Cup Holders, RLD A Bar brackets. Disco3Club stickers, Aux power on Mod 

Post #5616867th Dec 2009 9:00 pm
jojim65

Quote:
Glad to hear you're enjoying it. Maybe you might even be tempted to take it off road with some of us? Maybe just a nice green lane or two?

Would be happy to tag along as crew and get my feet wet...not sure I would have the confidence to take the plunge in my own without watching the 'experts' first....

Post #5616947th Dec 2009 9:07 pm
JMC

Scotland 

jojim65 wrote:
without this forum there would be an Audi Q5 on the drive

Nobody could accuse me of not being Pro-Audi, but anyone who buys a Q5 (or worse a Q7) instead of a proper motor really shouldn't be allowed to drive on our roads.......... or off them. Thumbs Up
 The older I get, the more I realise that people confuse wrinkles for wisdom Smile
Founder member of Club FFRRV
Club Orange, Mint or Fruit
Club Walnut Sniffers

Post #5617167th Dec 2009 9:40 pm
jojim65

Quote:
Nobody could accuse me of not being Pro-Audi, but anyone who buys a Q5

It's really a taller A4, very very nearly bought one but the £35,000 price tag for a minimal spec'd car was just too much...wasn't really about going off road more about presence...took about 10 minutes to work out it didn't have any!

Post #5617227th Dec 2009 9:47 pm
JDO330

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Howdy folks,

Its my first post here, looks like a great site.

Ive been toying with the idea of buying a D3 for a while now and have 99% convinced wifey its the right thing to do so are viewing a 2007/07 2.7 SE auto tomorrow. Reading the comments above gives me a bit more confidence in them.

Anything I should look out for?

Its at a main dealer so will have the remainder of the warranty plus an additional 12 months LR warranty, its a one owner vehicle with full main stealer history, looks really tidy in the pics ive seen. Fingers crossed it will be a peach!

ATB, Jon.

Post #5626389th Dec 2009 10:06 pm
buellbeast

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Good Luck Thumbs Up

Post #5626409th Dec 2009 10:08 pm
crwoody

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

JDO330 wrote:
Howdy folks,

Its my first post here, looks like a great site.

Ive been toying with the idea of buying a D3 for a while now and have 99% convinced wifey its the right thing to do ..
ATB, Jon.

1. Welcome to the forum

2. Go for it, IMHO you would have to be very unlucky to end up disappointed.

3. Good luck.
 Clive

Post #5626549th Dec 2009 10:29 pm
JDO330

Thanks for the welcome guys, I will report back once ive seen the vehicle in question tomorrow!

Jojim65 - Thanks for the PM, I tried to reply but I havent entered 3 posts yet so my message failed (I should have read the rules!).

Ive read a few posts on here and it made me shudder at some of the problems owners have / are having. Someone tell me im panicing and the D3's really arent that bad??!! A friend of mine bought one 6 odd months ago and fingers crossed his is fine. Im working on the basis that I get a 2007 (ish) model all the bugs will be sorted - is this wishful thinking!!??

ATB, Jon.

Post #5626629th Dec 2009 10:47 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Read any one make forum and you'll come out in cold sweats!!! They may have problems but they are well worth it, esp if you like taking them off the tarmac. Just don't read my sig line! Whistle

Post #5626769th Dec 2009 11:05 pm
JDO330

DSL wrote:
Read any one make forum and you'll come out in cold sweats!!! They may have problems but they are well worth it, esp if you like taking them off the tarmac. Just don't read my sig line! Whistle

Now thats a good point well made, didnt look at it like that Very Happy

Like the sig, our Honda hasnt been the best for reliability. We have had a raft of issues (CV boot, gearbox, clutch replacement @ 13k!, rattles from the panoramic roof, duff battery, noisy diffs, trim problems the list goes on regretfully....)

ATB, Jon.

Post #5627019th Dec 2009 11:26 pm
wilsonmg

England 

I know the feeling your going through Jon. . .I was in the same position 3 years back. But went for it and still love driving it everyday and in 90k I don't concider it to have any more probs than the Merc I used to have (actually a few less problems than the Merc). I see the key to happy ownership is finding a good dealer or indipendant to look after it (I find 10forcash, forum sponsor, to be excellent).

Be warned though... these things do get under your skin, especially when you go to some forum events. . you will be looking for sump guards, snorkles, expo racks, seperate wheels with big chunky mud tyres on, A bars, light guards, ladders, roof tents, winches, TV's, big spot lights, tree sliders...etc it becomes a habit and you day dream where this marvel could take you Rolling with laughter

so just get one, and see you at an event, two foot deep in mud, luaghing your head off Thumbs Up
 Still miss my D3 Sad  
Post #5627099th Dec 2009 11:39 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

And sell your dining room furniture, that room has far better uses!!! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Our Jazz is just over 2 years old and hasn't put a foot wrong. Only "issue" is that there is a bit more wind noise from the top of the driver's window (dealer can't find a fault Rolling Eyes ) but other wise it a model of Chinese manufacture!! Mr. Green Mr. Green

Post #56272310th Dec 2009 12:03 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >