Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

And so it begins...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
SN

And so it begins...

Having been a (temporary) member of the shny shiny brigade since February, seeing Gareth's motor on Thursday finally nudged me into action.

Refitted the front lamp guards this morning - nothing out of the ordinary or tricky but I thought I'd share some experience.

Front lamps were a b**ch to get out as usual - looked like dealer had hammered and 'glued' the sliders down

Happened to notice that on both front wings the rubber edging had dropped out of its own accord (anyone else seen this?) or is a problem peculiar to November 2007 build cars?

-

Anyway the real reason I'm posting this is that I remembered the damage the set of brackets had done on the front edge of the wings on the previous motor, I was left with a ridge in the paintwork which no manner of polishing or other concoction swould get out Sad

So for this one I've added some protection to the backside of the bracket arms where they rub against the front wing edge like so.

The pink stuff is hockeystick/cricketbat/tennisracqet handle tape, cut into 15 mm strips about 30mm long, pressed into bracket arm (sadly AJ only had pink but it doesn't show when fitted) - you can just see the pink tinge on the upper edge of each arm as it loops front the front of the wing

What you can also just see on this last shot is my custom solution for bolting the plates on - like a dipstick I forget to withdraw the plastic plugs out of the front wing of the last D3 so was face with 4 square 8mm holes - so I used a 15mm long bolt (head behind) through the mount frame 8mm square hole, a 2/3mm thick nut spacer, then the guard bracket, then a final square nut on the top - nice and tight Thumbs Up

Then it started raining - so went in Big Cry Will do the rear guards next weekend Thumbs Up And then the ladder...
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #46833617th May 2009 3:48 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MacLeod 313

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Top job there, you know you aint gonna stop there. Keep going.

I noticed the damage it does to paint on a thread before doing mine, luckily I did the same as you, but not PINK tape Laughing

Thumbs Up

Post #46833917th May 2009 3:51 pm
Ken

Steve the tape might hold water and cause rust Whistle

Post #46834917th May 2009 4:04 pm
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

I did the same on mine, I used the round foam pads used to hold DVD's into a magazine etc. We had a load of black one's at work to hand.

They are waterproof, but I thought it would only cause rust if the paint was damaged already.

I also sprayed the brackets themselves as they don't have much paint on and had started to corrode a little. I also put copper grease in the threads as well.

Last edited by countrywide on 17th May 2009 8:49 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #46836017th May 2009 4:39 pm
SN

Ken wrote:
Steve the tape might hold water and cause rust Whistle

paint not broken yet - brackets are already on their way - what else would you suggest Ken?

i picked this kind of tape to get some cushioning - I think its vibration of the bracket agait the paing which causes the issue (at the back too with the guard itself)
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #46850717th May 2009 8:48 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Ken

Leave the guards on when you sell her and buy new ones as I'm guessing the next one will be a D4 and the guards wont fit Whistle

Post #46864218th May 2009 7:29 am
SN

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

...but even so, I might want to be all mercenary by then and flog all the bits off separate - like some on here, no names, no pack drill Whistle
Post #46873218th May 2009 11:46 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >