Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Is this common practice?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Would you acknowledge back if other driver give you a wave?
No, that sounds like a stupid idea
2%
 2%  [1]
Yes, that sounds like fun
97%
 97%  [42]
Total Votes: 43

KrZ

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Unknown ColourDiscovery 3
Is this common practice?

If you ride a motorbike, when you come across another biker on a similar type of bike, you acknowledge each other by nodding, waving, dip headlights etc (for example, sports biker nods to sports biker, custom biker waves to custom biker). In general biking is not just riding a bike, but also a community. If one biker broke down at the side of the road, other biker generally will stop to give a helping hand. It is because of this culture, I am very reluctant to give up biking.

Moving to the car scene however is a very different story. I am not at all surprised at that because most people see cars as just a means of travelling from A to B without too much passion about their vehicle. 4x4s and especially LR community however seem to be different, maybe the offroading and the reliance on each other’s vehicle to get out of trouble when it arises is a factor for the strong community?

Every time when I see a Disco3 on the road, I couldn’t help looking at it. Sometimes I even slow down a little or increase speed a little to keep pace just to see that disco in sight for that bit longer (even though that disco can be identical to mine). This morning I wanted to test my belief that other driver of the same type of vehicle (in this case Disco3) does the same, I over took a Disco on the motorway and before I was about to leave the slip road I indicated and slowed down a little so the other driver could over took me and gave a quick wave of hand. Guess what, the driver looked over and gave a wave back. How nice.

Anyway, I wanted to find out if the on road acknowledgement can be spread like in the biker community (well, at least within Disco vehicle ownerships) to give the Disco ownership that added fun factor or is that just the insane thought of mine?

I think if we all start acknowledge other disco drivers, this phenomenon can be spread pretty quick. What do you guys think?

Post #12311023rd Jan 2007 12:01 pm
SI 1

United Kingdom 
Disco3 acknowledgement

I own a no of classic cars and I tend to wave or flash lights. I find the more Disco3s I see I always slow down, or see what spec they are and what options i should have ordered !!

Iv tried following two recently but both blow me away Big Cry

Post #12311223rd Jan 2007 12:09 pm
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

What I find driving my D3, is that just about any modified Land Rover IE snorkel rack winch etc will wave. I quite often get D3s slowing down or speeding up to check out my car. I usually wave or nod.
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #12311423rd Jan 2007 12:14 pm
Baben

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I grew up in a small farming community where it was customary to greet passing drivers (regardless of their style of vehicle) by simply lifting the index finger and smiling.
For my sins I now live in a fairly large city, where the custom seems to be to ignore the person next to you at all costs. I have tried the index finger greeting, but very seldom get a response even if the other party is driving the same vehicle. In fact, this morning I stopped in the traffic next to a D3 driver with an interesting snorkel, half the brackets for the roofrack (but no rack), and a ladder on the back door, and despite a polite wave and smile, he ignored me. Come on, own up, who was on the N1S this morning at about 7?
Strangely enough Defender drivers seem to be more friendly than most. Could be that they are going slow enough to notice the wave? Laughing Or maybe some SUV drivers are a bit stuck up? Hope not

Post #12311923rd Jan 2007 12:24 pm
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Same here Andrew, everyone looks. They tend to check out the winch and air intake.

I wave at most D3's but only about 50% wave back Confused

Even got some waves from RRS drivers.
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #12312223rd Jan 2007 12:36 pm
Baben

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

As a biker =
In SA my experience has been that whilst bikers seldom greet each other in passing, most any biker on any bike would offer assistance if you are stopped next to the road looking like you need something.

If you stop next to the road in a car, you will be lucky if anyone stops to help, even the speedcops. You might get "help" from the bandits though.

Another interesting observation-

My daily driver is a fairly nippy german car, not the D3, and I often notice other drivers in the same model car, which is not all that common. Sometimes they will wave, but often they won't acknowledge you at all till you meet at a red light, then there is always a race away from the lights... Very immature, I know, but maybe there is something in this, ie. that drivers in "sedate" vehicles like SUV's may be more inclined to interface with other drivers of "sedate" vehicles, and drivers in "macho" vehicles act macho sometimes? I know its a dangerous generalisation, but as a driver of both types of car, I have noticed both types of behaviour

Post #12312323rd Jan 2007 12:38 pm
Penguin

Belgium 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Shocked that's already common use for LR drivers in Belgium, Netherlands and France.
I thought for UK this was common too.

Seldom done to RRS, NRR drivers, I admit, unless they are well equipped for off-road Smile
 In a time of chimpanzees, I was a penguin.

www.m-release.com 

Post #12312423rd Jan 2007 12:39 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

When I am driving my old 2a, almost all other Land Rover Series motors wave, and I return the compliment. I also get waved at by most Defender drivers too.

In the D3, I occasionally get a wave, but not too often. I do find myself travelling in convoy on the motorways quite often.

What I do notice is that Land Rovers of all types attract other Land Rovers in the supermarket car park!

Post #12312823rd Jan 2007 1:01 pm
Jamo

Australia 

All five of the D3 owners here wave! Some D1 & D2 owners wave as well and I get the odd fender wave. Nil from RR.
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #12313023rd Jan 2007 1:09 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Thats the difference Jamo! I have about 500 in the locale!

Post #12313123rd Jan 2007 1:15 pm
Duncster

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I had a Defender 110, and all non commercial drivers used to wave I guess the commercial drivers would rather be in a more comfortable car/truck and didn’t get a choice.
 15 3.0 RRS HSE - Silver
05 2.7TDV6 S AUTO Silver - Retro-fitted Leather. 

Post #12313823rd Jan 2007 1:40 pm
couplands

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

I always wave to series and modified Land Rovers. Most wave back.

When we had the D1 (when it was not too fashionable) most people waved then, but now it's become the norm for D2/D3 owners not to wave back (unless the conform to the modified rule above).

cheers

simon

Thumbs Up

Post #12313923rd Jan 2007 1:53 pm
JMC

Scotland 

As a motorcyclist, I completely concur with this community wave thing. However, despite my best efforts to wave at D3s, I usually find they are driven by women who haven't a clue what the vehicle is and don't see the same thing coming the other way Evil or Very Mad

If I may suggest (as I have previously done on this forum) a bright orange disco3.co.uk sticker on the inside of the windscreen above and to the right of the driver (top right looking out). At least this would be a start for us recognising eachother rather than frantically looking back to see if there is one on the back window. It's always too late then Embarassed

Post #12314223rd Jan 2007 1:59 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
captain_sugar

Czech Republic 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Scotia GreyDiscovery 4

Of course the polulation of disco3 is much bigger than in the Czech Rep, Blegium, France etc

Here they are rare. So it happened to me that a cheerfull young lady in a Freelander waved to me in the LR3. Who woudn't wave back?! Razz

Post #12314823rd Jan 2007 2:14 pm
Alex E
Holy Bratwurst! 

Baben wrote:

this morning I stopped in the traffic next to a D3 driver with an interesting snorkel, half the brackets for the roofrack (but no rack), and a ladder on the back door, and despite a polite wave and smile, he ignored me. Come on, own up, who was on the N1S this morning at about 7?

slimer have you been touring again? Thud
 I'm Powered by........Diesel Thud  
Post #12314923rd Jan 2007 2:19 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >