Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Is there a simple iPod solution ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Gurvan

Location: Germany... Not far from both the US and Hard German rock...

France 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3
Ok here goes the pictures...

Just 3 pictures (I took more but those seems more relevant...)...

Remember that this is a quick & dirty and cheap system ! It is probably not in the same league as what others have done here !

On one of the picture, you can see a small black cable which is the link between the headphones output of the iPod and the Aux Input at the back of the centre console on my HSE.

With that set-up, I have to raise volume at around "20" on the car to listen to it appropriately after rising it to full volume on the iPod.

The iPod gets charged through the Dock connector and there are no risks of emptying the battery as the power outlet is cut off when the key is not at least in the "1" position. Furthermore, the Belkin adapter puts the iPod on Hold each time it senses that there is no power coming through it even if the iPod has still a charge. Then you have to repress "Play"... For instance, you set up the iPod in the system. You press "Aux" on the Radio and Play on the iPod. The music comes through. Then you start the engine. For that operation, the power will be cut to the power outlet and the iPod will go on hold... You will have to repress Play to hear the music again.

When in the cup holder, it is a bit far away but I can still read it and my arms are long enough to press "next" if need be... Wink

Remember this is a "cheap" solution and it won't allow for what I would consider full integration (That is using the Steering wheel controls...) But hey, it can be done in 5mn flat and doesn't need any technical know-how... Wink Perfect for me ! Laughing

Post #564044th May 2006 3:53 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
simkna

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Gurvan, correct me if I'm wrong, but if you plug the 3.5mm lead that goes to the Discovery Aux input to the belkin, not the Ipod's headphone port, doesn't that cure the low volume problem? I thought this was due to using headphone socket for audio rather than higher volume level dock port.

Si.
 Pat's Van
D3 TDV6 S Auto
Rimini Red / Alpacca Leather

Post #564074th May 2006 4:31 pm
DrLex

Iceland 

simkna wrote:
Gurvan, correct me if I'm wrong, but if you plug the 3.5mm lead that goes to the Discovery Aux input to the belkin, not the Ipod's headphone port, doesn't that cure the low volume problem? I thought this was due to using headphone socket for audio rather than higher volume level dock port.

Si.

Tried both; dock port output slightly louder.
This is my install; rest of cable and the gubbins inside back of console to protect it from children's feet:

Only problem is forgetting to take it out...
 Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Post #564124th May 2006 5:03 pm
Gurvan

simkna wrote:
Gurvan, correct me if I'm wrong, but if you plug the 3.5mm lead that goes to the Discovery Aux input to the belkin, not the Ipod's headphone port, doesn't that cure the low volume problem?

You are right but, in my case, I get a loud distortion when I use the Belkin output... Maybe it comes from my setup or from the cable I am using but anyway it makes the sound too distorted to be enjoyable...

That is why I am using the the iPod headphone output... Wink

Post #564184th May 2006 6:37 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

My Belkin works perfectly. I found a short 6" cable to take the Aux out from the Belkin the short distance to the Aux in on the car. I then increased the volume of all my tracks via i-Tunes by about 30%. In testing I could get up to a 50% increase in i-Tunes before clipping / distortion on the 'louder' tracks, but 30% seemed about right.

With this set-up my iPod is the same volume as the CD / Radio.

Before, via the headphone jack and without giving i-Tunes a tweak it was hopeless. The first long 'quality' 3.5mm lead brought all-sorts f interference into the system.

Post #564254th May 2006 7:22 pm
Gurvan

I think that I will have to find a better quality cable to link the iPod to the Belkin... Wink

Post #564294th May 2006 7:40 pm
zebadee

Ireland 
Thanks Gurvan

Gurvan,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post the pictures & write the detailed description of your iPod set-up. Very much appreciated indeed ! Very Happy

What I really like about your set-up is that you can remove it entirely from the car if you are parking in a not so nice area. As I sometimes wonder that if a thief sees a cradle for an iPod or PDA in the car, but not the iPod itself, he may still break a window to search. Sad

Also, your set-up can be transferred easily to another car, provided of course the car has an aux input.

It certainly is a quick & simple solution to my iPod dilemma. I’m going to order up the Belkin items from the Irish Apple Store later tonight.

Thanks once again Gurvan for the time you took.

Cheers “Zebs” 8)

Post #564344th May 2006 7:55 pm
Gurvan

No problem...

I am probably not the only owner of that Belkin setup... Only the first one to answer ! Wink

That said, it is true that you can remove it easily and hide it in the central console if SWMBO left some room in it...

Laughing

Post #564354th May 2006 8:01 pm
zebadee

Ireland 

Gurvan wrote:
......I am probably not the only owner of that Belkin setup... Only the first one to answer ! Wink

Not to mention all the trouble & time you took to post the details of your set-up.

Cheers again

Post #564374th May 2006 8:04 pm
Gurvan

It is not THAT hard to do... Wink

But thanks anyway, it is appreciated ! Wink

Post #564384th May 2006 8:07 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >